Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Samco Induction Hose

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2001, 08:11 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just bought a Samco induction hose for my 99MY UK Turbo, and I'm having more than a little trouble fitting it.

Picture at
Old 04 August 2001, 01:53 PM
Crusty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Stephen, I've had this fitted to my '97 STi-3 engine (from AVO in OZ) took a few hours to fit, they had to remove the power steering pump to give clearance... removing the manifold is a much bigger job !! See my web site for some pix...
Old 04 August 2001, 08:39 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Stephen,

I did this a few weeks ago and it's a bit of a sod to do but the results are well worth it. First, remove the intercooler to give yourself room to refit the dump valve pipe later on. Unbolt the power steering pump/reservoir but don't disconnect it - it has enough flexible pipe on it to swing it out of the way - and remove the bolts holding the top of the radiator to the the bodywork and push the radiator back slightly to allow the power steering fluid cooler to be moved away with the pump. Remove all the breathers connected to the inlet - 5 of them if I remember correctly. Slacken the jubilee clips on the pipe and remove the MAF. Unbolt the pipe from the manifold. I think that's all so far and it's a lot easier than it sounds.

Now the removal...... We spent ages fiddling with this and unbolting the inlet manifold is no help because the fuel rails are bolted on underneath and you can't get at the bolts so no extra room is gained. Removing the manifold completely is the answer, I suppose, but I didn't want to do that (too much hassle). The old pipe won't come off because the stubs just in front of the turbo are in the way. In the end we took the brutal approach and chiselled them off With a bit on manoeuvering (sp?) the old pipe can be waggled (technical term) off. The first thing you will notice is how narrow it gets underneath the manifold and how mush deeper the GGR one is - the difference is amazing and so is the improvement in breathing. Anyway, back to the plot......The new pipe is very flexible and can be persuaded to go on by pressing the metal pipe stubs inwards to give clearance - I used a paint scraper as a sort of shoe horn to help slide it in. The next thing that you will notice is that the new pipe could do to be half an inch or so longer!! It really is a very neat fit and to get it on you have to remove one of the brackets holding the fuel rail on ( this is one that you can actually get at being at the front but it's fiddly) and bend it forward (I put a cable tie on it to hold the wiring so it looks as if it's meant to be like that ) The bolt you removed is actually holding a double bracket so I put it back in to hold the other bit which is behind it. This bit sounds really complicated and is difficult to explain without photies but you will see what I mean when you come to do it. Push the pipe really hard as you tighten the clip on to the turbo and it will be fine. The next worst bit is wangling the dump valve pipe back on and this is why you removed the intercooler earlier on. For everything else reassembly is a reversal of removal, as they say.

We spent nearly 3.5 hours on this but most of it was trying to fiddle the old pipe out, unbolting the manifold to find that it didn't help and trying to unbolt the fuel rails. If we were doing it again I would say that it shouldn't take much longer than a couple of hours or so. So there you are, and it isn't as bad as it sounds. I have a full de-cat, Blitz induction and an HKS EVC IV and the GGR pipe has improved things no end -I would do it again even though it is a fiddle but, then again, things are usually harder the first time.Just keep telling yourself that you're having fun Good luck.

Raymond.
Old 05 August 2001, 11:07 AM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tips guys.

Steve