Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Deteriorating Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2001, 10:48 PM
Dazz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My clutch is getting worse. I'm praying I don't need a new one. The car's done 40K and
it's a MY97 with on the dot servicing. I wonder if anyone could detect if I need a new one from the following list of symptons:

- During gentle driving the clutch feels smoothish as though everything is fine
- Sometimes when depressing the clutch fully (whilst the car is stationary but running) I can feel and 'hear' a metallic clunking. This noise is loud enough for a passenger to say 'Whats that noise?'.
- When I go through the gears hard, the clutch pedal sticks, then suddenly springs back to its original position.

I've tried WD40 up inside where you can see the clutch pedal but whilst it made a difference for a day it's probably worse now.

I bought the car under the Subaru Proven scheme and I have 3 months left from my 1 year warranty.
Does anybody know if clutch work would be covered under a warranty ? And can anybody shed some light on my problem ?

Any information/comments gratefully received.Thanks.

Old 08 August 2001, 02:08 AM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Those symptoms dont indicate wear. Sounds like its not engaging properly.

To test clutch wear, put the transmission into top gear and plant the foot with LOW revs (2000 rpm). If the clutch is knackered it will start to slip...ie the engine revs increase but the car speed doesnt.

Sounds like you need to take it to your dealer anyway.
Old 08 August 2001, 10:27 AM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Greg

What clutch do you aussies use, ie whats popular & ? $ do you pay.

Old 09 August 2001, 04:11 PM
BoardMonger
Scooby Newbie

Sounds like the same problem I'm having with my 98 Legacy GT. I'm at 123,000kms though. I've heard a clunking in the past as well. Mind you, either it has stopped or I've just gotten used to it. In really hot weather, especially in traffic, the clutch pedal will lose pressure and I'll have to pop it out using my toe. Once I clear the traffic and am using the clutch less, the pressure returns. This occurred last year and I had the slave cyclinder replaced. However, we never really had any hot weather after that until this year so I wasn't sure if the fix had worked. It appears that it did not. The dealership told me that they've seen this a couple times recently and are having trouble diagnosing the problem. I'm supposed to take my car in but am hoping to get a little more info from this board before I go. Like yours, my clutch works fine under regular conditions. I've accidentally put my car into fourth instead of reverse a couple of times and the car doesn't stall, so I think the plates are okay.