Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

No cat or silencer in my original centre pipe!

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2001, 10:29 AM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I recently replaced the centre pipe on my MY98 WRX (non STI) with a Magnex straight through from Roadrunner.
Having looked at the original pipe from the outside I assumed it contained a cat or at least a silencer because of the box near the join with the downpipe. However, having looked down said pipe there is nothing in there!? It's just straight through pipe with the box seemingly stuck on the outside with no purpose at all. Strange. They must have used this design so other countries could put a cat in it. I'd previously been told my car did have a cat in the centre so just to put the record straight, recent import WRX's don't have a centre cat or even a centre silencer whether they're STI's or not. Just thought I'd share that with you all.

[This message has been edited by scoobysnacks (edited 09 August 2001).]
Old 10 August 2001, 10:34 AM
NDT
Scooby Regular

The box is a resonator - it's to tune the noise or the flow of the exhaust (or both)

Nick
Old 10 August 2001, 02:21 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

I don't think it could be a resonator as there was no way for the exhaust gases to get 'into' it that I could see. Like I said the pipe is a solid straight through one with no change where it goes through the boxed area. The box is seemingly stuck onto the outside of a solid pipe...?
Old 10 August 2001, 02:27 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

I don't think it could be a resonator as there was no way for the exhaust gases to get 'into' it that I could see. Like I said the pipe is a solid straight through one with no change where it goes through the boxed area. The box is seemingly stuck onto the outside of a solid pipe...?