Please help urgent request

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2001, 06:47 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Alex,

Just an idea as I had a similar fault that had me, a few other well versed scooby runners and some mechanics (incl. a dealer's - a good one!) fooled.

I am hoping that you have the same, simple problem - mine was a loose hose which would intermittently fool the engine into thinking something major was wrong, resulting in the symptoms you mention.

If your car is up to a C type, the grey hoses accross the top of the engine can get very hot (doh!) and this can "encourage" the hoses to play funny buggers (slip off, lift etc.) - since the sensors take a lot of info from these, any stuff ups can cause a CE light etc.

The D type has a new set of plumbing...

Anyway, check all those hoses for blockages (never heard of one, but you nevver know...), leaks, splits etc.,etc.

Hope this helps.

Old 06 August 2001, 12:27 PM
Alex James
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

I have the latest model (late 2000) Subaru Legacy GTB which had developed an engine control fault, the symptoms being the "check engine" light comes on and the engine will only run in "limp home" mode, i.e. : won't rev. above approx 4300 rpm.
The fault code has been read as "code 66" which apparently refers to the turbo controller. The engine sensors and wiring have been extensively checked, the plugs, the turbo controller and throttle position switches have all been changed but still the fault persists.
Has anybody else experienced this fault and been able to identify a cause and a solution?
Please contact 01223 872372 0r email we are really in need of some help.
Thank you
Alex James
Old 08 August 2001, 09:47 AM
Alex James
Scooby Newbie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AJbaseBloke:
<B>Alex,

Just an idea as I had a similar fault that had me, a few other well versed scooby runners and some mechanics (incl. a dealer's - a good one!) fooled.

I am hoping that you have the same, simple problem - mine was a loose hose which would intermittently fool the engine into thinking something major was wrong, resulting in the symptoms you mention.

If your car is up to a C type, the grey hoses accross the top of the engine can get very hot (doh!) and this can "encourage" the hoses to play funny buggers (slip off, lift etc.) - since the sensors take a lot of info from these, any stuff ups can cause a CE light etc.

The D type has a new set of plumbing...

Anyway, check all those hoses for blockages (never heard of one, but you nevver know...), leaks, splits etc.,etc.

Hope this helps.

[/quote]
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELP
Please could you get in touch with me - you have come the closest to helping us. We still have fault code 66 and the dealer seems unable to identify this accurately.
We need to know if you have any dealers we can ring/email or contact any other way - we really don't have solutions to this.
Alex James
Old 08 August 2001, 11:09 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Alex,

Put a query up on the legacyB4 board - we share engines and there is plenty of knowledge on there (a couple of UK GT-B owners are about).

Can't help with any dealers coz they are on Summer hols till the 16th or so. Hard luck on the timing.

Why not add some more detail to this post - like if you noticed anything different about the car/performance before the light came on.

Some basic things to check are things like the airfilter as AM ones often have too much flow for the AFS to work with - result CEL and limp mode; or the muffler: if it has too much flow the engine/ECU can get into trouble, too.

Give me some more info and I will try to help as best I can...

Cheers.
Old 08 August 2001, 10:25 PM
Alex James
Scooby Newbie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AJbaseBloke:
<B>Alex,

Put a query up on the legacyB4 board - we share engines and there is plenty of knowledge on there (a couple of UK GT-B owners are about).

Can't help with any dealers coz they are on Summer hols till the 16th or so. Hard luck on the timing.

Why not add some more detail to this post - like if you noticed anything different about the car/performance before the light came on.

Some basic things to check are things like the airfilter as AM ones often have too much flow for the AFS to work with - result CEL and limp mode; or the muffler: if it has too much flow the engine/ECU can get into trouble, too.

Give me some more info and I will try to help as best I can...

Cheers.[/quote]

Hi AJbaseBloke and any one else,
Thank you so much for prompt reply -
I have the following information from the dealer in London - Simpsons

Engine EJ20 - 8dwcbe W reg 2000model
Vin BH5 - 114431
Model Bh5c5cd
Boxer 2 stag twin turbo
clearing codes when finishing work
changed: Air filter - Air flow meter (code 23 developed) Knock sensor (second hand awaiting new one) TPS throttle position sensor valves on olslf Turret fot turbo cleaned out inter cooler + pipes from turbo valves to units and metal pipes 6 or 7 times No blockages - previous oil in units when first cleaned, not present now -
Running on super unleaded with octane booster in tank -
Still code 66 on - when changing into second gear + depressing accelerator to floor when gets to 3500 to 5100RPM light will come on then will not rev above 5100 RPM NO TURBO!!!
-
Also from me - note when the fault originally occured it was discovered that the Bowden cable that operates the bypass valve in the rear silencer had broken. This has been replaced but could it be relevant?

We are mortified that we can't solve this problem it is really the car we wanted so much - hence the reason we imported it from Japan, and as you will be aware no scooby dealer will even talk to us in the UK!!!
Many thanks AJbase Bloke if you can help in anyway - and to anyone else who might be able to get us on the road again.
Cheers - Alex
Old 09 August 2001, 04:54 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Alex,

Please visit the following site:
Old 09 August 2001, 03:45 PM
JJamess
Scooby Regular

Sorry to here about your problem
I run a Legacy B4 RSK which has the same engine. I use TSL Motorsport out by Nottingham. They are keyed up on all subarus and may be able to help you thet are very good.
find them at
Old 09 August 2001, 11:29 PM
Alex James
Scooby Newbie

JJamess
Thank you for your information - any straw at the moment is much appreciated.
Alex
Old 12 August 2001, 12:46 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Question

Any luck?