Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

LINK ecu

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2001, 07:52 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just had the possumlink ecu fitted and the car tuned.

Well pleased with the (?)investment - in gears above second and over 3,500rpm the acceleration is awesome; not only is there a 'thrown back in the seat sensation', when hitting the accelerator, but the front of the car seems to lift; lovely stuff.

yes, there is a reluctance to start from cold and the engine on idle tends to 'hunt' when first starting when the engine is warmed up - but I'm not complaining.

regards
Old 10 September 2001, 09:28 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Phil,

what MY do you have. The start should be fixable.

Good to see you are pleased with the results.

Trout
Old 11 September 2001, 12:34 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Phil, cold start was an issue for a while. Then after playing for a while, fixed it.

Dan
Old 11 September 2001, 07:07 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

it's MY '94 Jap import with recently fitted K&N air filter and de-catted straight thru exhaust; the garage said bring the car back for a re-tune if the cold start problem beomes bothersome.

I assume it's a trade-off somewhere - ?rich fuel mix means better torque, poorer starting - or timing retard or something - or am I on the wrong track?

That is, if they 'fix' the cold start issue, do I lose out in performance?

regards
Old 11 September 2001, 09:46 AM
ROBO
Scooby Regular

I`ve not long had my link ecu fitted, and have the smame kind of able to live with faults, rpm hunts on warm starts and sometimes struggles to tickover on a cold start.
Hopefully these will be cured when i`m back at BR developments in the new year.
Running on an my 98, but apart from that the car has even more grin factor.
Old 12 September 2001, 08:27 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

yeah - I have the same view as Robo - the 'problems' are liveable

cold starts, the engine needs to turn over a few times; warm starts, the engine revs to 1500rpm, then slowly slides to zero.

my answer on warm start is to turn off all auxiliary power drains (lights, aircon, radio) and the engine revs usually only dip to 250 rpm and then pick up again.

on cold start a friend with LINK ECU advised - pump the accelerator 3 times and then fire up. I haven't tried this technique yet.

regards
Old 12 September 2001, 11:43 AM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

i have the link ecu for over 18months now. and you should have any problems what so ever with the link ecu. and that includes all the different chips as well, K,N,Y and Q. the K chip is the most difficult ( oldest) to set up the rest are easy really. the only time i had a problem with the car starting from cold was when it was -10degrees around last new year

warm starts are a bit more tricky to set up, the N,Y,Q chips have got extra parameters to try to make this smoother.

all the above is in relation to MY99 cars. i have also been involved in a link set up on a MY93 wrx and it does not seem to have any problems starting at all. but the weather is not that cold in here yet .

it can be a bit difficult to get the start and idle done perfectely the first time round, so a little tweak can usually be required.

needless to say all the above problems are very minor when the happen and my car has been driven every day to work for the last 2 year and i am still grining.

sam