which exhaust system to fit ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2001, 12:41 AM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

hi
i'm looking a fitting a new exhaust system to my MY99 turbo.
Its still under warrenty, will the fitting of a new system effect the warrenty ?

also what do you all recommend to fit ?
i was going to go for a full magnex system, but looking at the topics that have been posted, most seem to go for just back boxes.

thanks in advance
kevin
Old 14 September 2001, 12:52 AM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Cool

Kevin,

If you do a search you'll find loads of threads on this very topic. From what I've read in the past, it depends on the dealer involved. Warranty claims could be a problem, but how hard is it to swap an exhaust back? (not that I am condoning such devious actions).

As far as what to go for, depends on how much money you've got and how much of a difference you want! I've got a full scoobysport on a UK99, you can see the performance results on the Dyno page.

It is also a question of MOT time - full systems without cats would probably not pass an emissions test.

For my money, get the lot - sounds miles better, performs much better and the larger tailpipe looks far more at home than the twin pea-shooters

Matt
Old 14 September 2001, 08:05 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Go for the Magnex full system.

I got one of these last night and am having it fitted tomorrow. Got the downpipe, center section and backbox, all look amazing off the car and am expecting it to look even better on the car. I have the 3.5in round tail peice.

Price is about £450 from roadrunner.

Go for it!

Paul
Old 14 September 2001, 08:35 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Agree with both these.........

Have a MY00 from 01 with a SS DP, Magnex Centre with resonator and a Magnex 3.5 round backbox......

Sounds great, but not as raw as a full SS system as the resonator takes some of the bite away, but not too much........

Friendly dealer will allow this on my car as I have no other engine mods. So why not check with your dealer by anonmous phone call to test the reaction....

J
Old 14 September 2001, 08:55 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Scoobysnack,

I had a Sccobysport down pipe, Magnex centre with resonator and Magnex back box oval fitted and had to take the magnex bits off within 30 mins because it sounded like a tank! The noise was just embarrasing - bleeding ears stuff. I got a long life backbox fitted to reduce the intrusive sound inside the car (MYOO Wagon) and laid carpet in the boot and it is not bad now. Tomorrow I will experiment with the Magnex centre section and see if the resonator keeps the system reasonably quite similar to the standard section.

Kevin,

You might want to try the kit one piece at a time eg Magnex backbox first (happens to be one in my garage that I'll be putting on the Private section soon).

Jerome
Old 15 September 2001, 05:20 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

Kevin,

I have the full Magnex and DP with a K&N on a MY96.

Just come back from the rolling road with 260BHP Ha Ha Ha!

Glen4 has the mid and back and got 225 (I think) which is also bloody good!

Well chuffed.

MB
Old 15 September 2001, 08:11 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Kevin - I have the full magnex system including the downpipe, the noise is slightly less inside now which is strange but good, the car has a deeper growl to it now.
You can hear a whistle when you go up a gear to, sounds fantastic....with my chip it has made a massive difference in performance.

Having said that, there are a few different options judging by previous threads.

shunty