Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Twin Dump Down pipes..Fashion accesory or really better

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2001, 01:28 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've been on a quest laydees and gents and have been investigating downpipes. Now i'm not a mechanic and indeed my requirements are simple. A bit more power, a bit more noise and a bit more fun.

Over the past few months, I have learnt to investigate any potential mods to see if they are all hype or genuine "improvments" to the car.

This twin dump malarchy seems to be a bit "designer" for my liking.

I have spoken to alot of people about the benefits and the responses have been VERY woolly to say the least.

Some say "MORE BHP MIKEY" others report "MORE TORQUE MIKEY" others say "MORE FUEL EFFICIENT MIKEY" and even some that say "NOT AS GOOD AS A BLANKED OFF ONE MIKEY"

My understanding of down pipes has rapidly become sceptical especially this twin dump issue.

The way I see it, unless you are canning your car for 75%+ of the time that you are driving it, then it is a totally unnecessary mod. A mod which in some cases can cost an additional £80 + VAT

Someone out there must know the score, has my reasearch lead me to the right conclusion or am I totally barking up the wrong tree?

MIKEY

Wants a Downpipe but feels like some people are trying to earn money out of him because he isn't mechanically minded
Old 18 September 2001, 01:48 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Cool

The ones that don't sell TD pipes - are they the ones that say they don't work?

The theory is that the exhaust gasses are seperated from the wastegate, causing less turbulence, hence smoother flow......

People that have fitted twin dump pipes after a single outlet report impressive improvements.......

However I am unaware of any back to back comparisons that actually confirm this.

Most of the quicker cars out there run twin dump pipes.

They aren't necessarily more expensive - Magnex have just launched a new twin dump one for around £170ish I believe - cheaper than some other single outlets.

Old 18 September 2001, 03:26 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Falkland designed Magnex manufactured twin dump on my car and am probably a fashion victim. But it does go well. But anyone with a DP would say that! For the money it is a very worthwhile improvement, and at 160-170+VAT looks very well made and remarkably quiet at least with PPP centre and rear sections.
Old 18 September 2001, 04:32 PM
matt b
Scooby Regular

fashion accessory? -go for it! you'll make any "masi mara" tribesmen well jealous with a stainless steel jobbie dangling from each ear-lobe.
ive just today had delivery of my twin pipe DP after Johns recommendation (£190 INC VAT & del). Its gonna take two hrs fitting so your probably looking at £300 all in. not the cheapest upgrade but looking at the threads its seems the general consensus is that its worth it.
I'll let you know what the difference is once mines on (booked for 2/10)
cheers
Old 19 September 2001, 12:47 AM
kevin r m
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've just had scoobysport dp (not twin dump)fitted to my99 car with ppp. thought about Falkland twin dump but decided against after talking to Pete @ SSport. I am v impressed with the dp, the ppp 'kick'(@3k rpm) isn't there anymore but the car pulls and pulls and pulls right up to the red line & breathing seems to be much better. Sound is lower gruntier noise but I love it!Definitely worth the money £180 +vat
Old 19 September 2001, 01:03 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Kevin,

Why did you plump for the Scoobysport? Your reasons would help answer Mikey's question.
Old 19 September 2001, 02:42 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Funny Pete didn't sway you towards the Magnex / Falkland!

MB (being sarcastic)

Old 19 September 2001, 05:42 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

It wasn't me that convinced Kevin, but a very knowledgable contributor to this bbs.
Old 20 September 2001, 01:56 AM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

I can only compare a twin dump pipe with the original exhaust - FANTASTIC difference

I have recently fitted the new Magnex downpipe to my car. Benefits:
Increased torque
Increased responsiveness
Hits peak boost much quicker
Less turbo lag
Cool noises - slightly deeper, throaty sound, but you also get to hear the turbo whistling more and the wastegate chattering away.
Guys who fitted it said "much lighter".

No change in fuel consumption

All very good value for £153.18 (+ VAT) + 2 hours fitting. Total = <£250

The best money I have spent on the car. My only regret is that I didn't do this earlier.

My only words of warning (which I have now posted several times on here ) - make sure you get your boost pressure checked after changing the downpipe. I have a gauge fitted which was reading 1.1bar prior to changing the downpipe. After swapping to the Magnex pipe (no other changes of any kind) I was peaking at 1.45bar All under control now though

Go on make the change - you won't regret it.

Simon
Old 20 September 2001, 02:04 AM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

Hi Mikey

I have just typed in a long reply which doesn't seem to have appeared. Sorry m8.

Anyone know what might have happened to it? This seems to happen quite often to me - heavy. I think this computer hates me - heavy man

Simon
Old 20 September 2001, 07:37 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happens to us all Simon - there in technicolor now. What size restrictor was used?
Old 20 September 2001, 07:59 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Pete Croney:
<B>It wasn't me that convinced Kevin, but a very knowledgable contributor to this bbs.[/quote]

Pete/Kevin,

Could you point me to the thread in question as I would be interested to read the opinion of the "very knowledgable contributor"....

Matt

Old 20 September 2001, 09:59 AM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Simon,

if you message doesn't appear click on refresh whilst holding down shift.
Old 20 September 2001, 11:25 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Have had both scoobysport and BPM twin dump downpipes.

Admittedly when I fitted the bpm, the car felt faster than it ever had, but this was in the aftermath of a faulty link which has since been sorted by bob.

When I received the car it had a full scoobysport system, after the link was removed it ran a full bpm twister system.

I cant really say anything against the scoobysport system at all. Had one on my old car and loved it, the 22B came with one which I also loved. I only changed it because I wanted to be a bit different and wanted to change the noise somewhat.

The BPM has since been removed as the twister is too loud for me, I have settled on a scoobymani syatem except for the downpipe which remains a bpm. This is because it is quieter as it is made from mild rather than stainless steel.

more importantly the lambda link shows it to be running leaner at the top end with the bpm/scoobymania and standard ecu which does suggest it is flowing better than the scoobysport. But is entirely possible it is just me not noticing its performance before all the changes. It did feel quicker than ever though and certainly was breathing more easily as it more willingly climbed to the redline.

I would have no hesitation in recommending either product since the scoobysport was fantastic.

The only reason to choose between them is likely be personal preference, price, locality, warranty and individuality.

Dont be searching for the best as there cant really be a fair test which puts one above the other. If people claim to have done one, they are probably lying or confused.

To those who say they dont make a difference, all I can say is that is utter rubbish. The downpipe alone probably makes the single most noticable difference/£

Old 20 September 2001, 01:00 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

There was a thread on this very subject earlier this year. From memory one of the Aussie guys said something along the lines that the Twin DP works best (and that they DO work) when their is a "Tongue" that sticks out of the DP into the engine bit and actually seals off the two seperate gases completely from inside the engine.

Comments were that having 2 holes without this tongue meant that by design the gases can mix before they get into the seperate pipes - which kinda spoils the effect and there can be some turbulence between the two which is bad. So i gathered from that that it works if sorted/designed properly

I reckon the truth is Mikey that ANY DP is going to make a difference and you will love whichever DP it is and probably right a thread saying "brand X DP is the best"!!!!

By the way....

ARB's... DP's... Eibach's... Have you decided its time to make that shed of yours keep up with the rest on the meets ? .

It wont matter if you cant read the bleedin map

Jza
Old 20 September 2001, 01:51 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Now Now Jza

Keep up at the meets

Just cos people used to stop looking at the convoy when they got to your car !!!! cos they thought it was summat else lol

OK dudes, Thanks for ya input, greatly appreciated. I'm gonna do one, Downpipe that is wether its a twin dump or not......well we'll have to see

Cheers then

MIKEY
Old 20 September 2001, 02:10 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

The tongue is a separator welded on to the end of the bpm downpipe which is supposed to seal the gap between the main exhaust and the wastegate where the downpipe is bolted onto the back of the turbo. It is almost impossible to get a perfact seal but is worth a go. Some aussies have made some very bold claims about power claims from this alone.
Old 22 September 2001, 04:35 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

Talking

oi mikey.stop being tight and buy one. cya
Old 23 September 2001, 09:53 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
We had a discussion about this at our Brighton outing today & came to the conclusion that nobody really knew what difference the twin dump made over the single. This is because once you will rarely replace the downpipe again once you've got one as it is such a pain in the ***.

We've therefore decided to write to both Japanese Performance Magazine & Banzai to see if they will do an extensive test. Hopefully if they do this will make life a lot easier on us when trying to choose between the two as i'm sure both have their advantages & disadvantages.

MAFFA