Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Is this normal knocklink activity?

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2004, 09:25 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal knocklink activity?

I have recently fitted a knocklink to my MY98 JDM with the sensitivity set to maximum.

It seems to be working fine, with the first 2 green lights lighting up under hard acceleration/full boost until I get to 6-6.5k and then all light come on, at which point I close the throttle quickly!!

I have had some niose shown when changing gear, but never this much when still under power.

I know that some people have said that a rise in noise is normal over the rev range, but a sharp spike is bad, right?

I'm thinking that it could be down to the following:

1) Fuel leaning out due to poor flow at that engine speed?

2) That lack of knock correction from the ECU over 5.5k?

3) Bad fuel? (Optimax and millers)?

Any others?

I'm due to get an AF meter in the next week or so, but what about the device that can be used to adjust the AF to allow for richer mixture? Anyone used on of these?

This is where the sensor is mounted for the knocklink

http://www.zen24039.zen.co.uk/Scooby...orComplete.JPG
Old 25 February 2004, 09:41 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

I think I'd be a bit concerned with the 'all lights on' bit ! Probably best to avoid this until you get the AFR on and find out why.... 2 greens under heavy load is acceptable (Though none would be better), but I get 1-2 for 5-6K revs. I also get the occasional flutter on gear change, but I'm not over worried about this, as it seems to be only when I don't lift my throttle quickly enough on up-changing.

If its going RED regularly, I'd ease back till sorted !

Hope this helps,

Mark
Old 25 February 2004, 10:53 AM
LB4
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem to this a few months ago, i noticed it first as the weather got colder. Having had it sorted out now (visit to mapper) i was told that the ECU was retarding the timing but not fast enough and no actual knock correction was taking place (i take it knock correction is not the same as the ECU retarding the timing) so i was seeing the red light flash up. I did notice that if i wasn't quick enough to back off the throttle the lights did go back to greens only.
I was also getting transitional det too.
I have an AFR meter fitted but that stayed on rich the whole time.
Have you done any mods to the engine breathing recently that could cause this to occur?

Gary

Last edited by LB4; 25 February 2004 at 10:56 AM.
Old 25 February 2004, 11:40 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Where are you going for the mapping? I am thinking about this but need to know if it can be done on my ECU, with it being an uprated one already.

The mods were already on the car when I bought it so not sure whats causing it.

I would have thought that cold weather would be the best case scenario for air temp density?
Old 25 February 2004, 11:48 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Hmm - Extra det in the cold may be down to extra boost available in low air pressure - You'd be right to think that the low air temp is better

I can't help you with the 'mapping' Q., as mine's a UK car - done at Power Engineering as a daughter board (98my!)

Mark
Old 25 February 2004, 12:04 PM
LB4
Scooby Regular

My ECU as been TEK 3'd,MY00. I say i noticed the Knocklink activity as the air temps dropped this winter which is true, it was fine throughout the summer, but i did add Samco Turbo hoses soon after the remap (they never arrived in time!) which was carried out back in May which is why i asked about any recent mods, as this would have been the main cause of my problem.
Not sure what options are available to you as far as mapping goes with your ECU though.

Gary

Last edited by LB4; 25 February 2004 at 12:05 PM.
Old 25 February 2004, 12:47 PM
Judge
Scooby Regular

I really dont think that you should treat this kind of activity lightly,as we all know the green lights are usually activated due to "background noise" as oposed to actual det but the amber lights and especially the red light are a real indication of engine det as the frequency of the noise detected would be registered as such.It may be that octane rating of fuel for your JDM is not high enough but I would suggest it is looked at properly very soon or you could have a giant bill on your hands.
Old 25 February 2004, 06:42 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Ok, found a small fault. Air was leaking in past the MAF due to a damaged samco hose on the plastic pipe that runs to the turbo.

I think this is where the ECU runs the car too lean due to the extra air. Plus the car runs better now.

Still going to get it looked at.