Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

TurboSmart Dump Valves??

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2004, 06:56 PM
Syxx - Pac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TurboSmart Dump Valves??

Hi all, im considering getting a turbosmart dump valve for my MY97 uk turbo scooby. im planning on getting the MEGASONIC one.

has anyone had any problems with these?
Do they sound good?
Do they improve performance?

CHEERS
Old 26 February 2004, 07:09 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

It is not possible for an aftermarket dumpvalve to improve the car's performance, unless (a)the standard one is broken/stuck/leaking or (b)the new valve is set up in such a way that it remains shut more often than a standard one would.

If you're talking about a vent to atmosphere dumpvalve, performance can theoretically be impaired under certain circumstances, but you'd be unlikely to notice any difference.

As for the sound, IMO they sound silly, but if that's the sort of thing that floats your boat...
Old 27 February 2004, 07:06 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

a Friend had the supersonic dump valve, but he had to grease the piston every couple of weeks, it don't take long to do, just a pain to have to do it so often.
sorry, have to disagree with grease monkey a little, Yes, a dump valve won't make the car go faster, but what it does do is to help stop turbo lag when changing gear, as it dumps excess pressure to atmosphere, preventing the turbo from stalling. Dump Valves can help to make turbos live longer by reducing the stresses on the vanes.

The supersonic was really loud, I bet you'll have to wear ear plugs with the megasonic.
My advice would be to spend a little more and get the HKS super sequential, my mate sold the supersonic and got that instead and he's over the moon with it.
As for me, I have the original HKS Sequential dump valve, and I'm more than happy with it.
I've been in an '03 WRX, before and after a dump valve was fitted, and it does make a differance.
Old 27 February 2004, 07:28 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Cornelius, I think you'll find greasemonkey was referring to the differences between aftermarket and standard valves - not dv's in general!

Originally Posted by Cornelius
a Friend had the supersonic dump valve, but he had to grease the piston every couple of weeks, it don't take long to do, just a pain to have to do it so often.
sorry, have to disagree with grease monkey a little, Yes, a dump valve won't make the car go faster, but what it does do is to help stop turbo lag when changing gear, as it dumps excess pressure to atmosphere, preventing the turbo from stalling. Dump Valves can help to make turbos live longer by reducing the stresses on the vanes.

The supersonic was really loud, I bet you'll have to wear ear plugs with the megasonic.
My advice would be to spend a little more and get the HKS super sequential, my mate sold the supersonic and got that instead and he's over the moon with it.
As for me, I have the original HKS Sequential dump valve, and I'm more than happy with it.
I've been in an '03 WRX, before and after a dump valve was fitted, and it does make a differance.
Old 28 February 2004, 01:13 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i think the lag thing is a load of bollocks
if you have a recirc it dumps the air elsewhere anyways??
Old 28 February 2004, 04:49 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

I know what was said, and I still stand by what I said, aftermarket dumpvalves do make some difference
Old 29 February 2004, 12:35 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

No, Cornelius, they don't make any difference (to the car's performance), unless, as stated earlier, the standard one is broken or they are set up to remain closed more often (see dumpvalve removal comment below).

Yes, a dump valve won't make the car go faster, but what it does do is to help stop turbo lag when changing gear
No it doesn't. As Micky says this is bollocks. You will get less gearchange/liftoff lag by removing the dumpvalve completely and blanking the connections.

The reason the dumpvalve is there is to protect the turbocharger bearings and compressor from damage caused by pulseback, not to increase performance.