Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

BRAND NEW UK-STI IMPREZA

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2004, 10:00 AM
fergie_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRAND NEW UK-STI IMPREZA

Hello folks im brand new to the Impreza scene, this is my first purchase test drove one about a month ago and fell in lonve with the speed/handeling etc... now waiting for delivery on the 1st of march. Just a coule of question's if i may, please be gentle with me as i say im brand new to this so be patient with me.

No1. I read a lot about running in new engines but what the best method?.

No2. Looking at some mods on the net and i see things like MY00, MY03 what does this mean?.

No3. What would any of you folks recommend for my first mods? exhaust etc.???

Regards
Dave
Old 27 February 2004, 11:42 AM
fergie_uk
Scooby Regular

Comon folks just cause im new.
Old 27 February 2004, 11:58 AM
CyberScoob
Scooby Regular

Hi Fergie and welcome, i too fell in love with the impreza the first time i test drove it and have never looked back.

No 1. Not sure about this sorry.

No 2. MY = Model Year ie. MY97 for 1997 P/R reg.

No 3. The most common first mod i think most people go for is the exhaust. Let the car breath more, full decat system or sports decat. From turbo back. For this you will need a down pipe from turbo, centre section and back box.

Hope this helps
Old 27 February 2004, 12:07 PM
fergie_uk
Scooby Regular

Thanx , would i be cheeky on asking advice for suppliers and types?
and i also hear alot of ecu re-map would this need to be done after changing exhaust?

Regards
Old 27 February 2004, 12:08 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow the running in procedure in the owner's manual.

Your warranty friendly option is a Prodrive Performance pack which claims 300 BHP up from 262 BHP as standard.
Old 27 February 2004, 02:41 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Keep to the manufacturers recommendation, ie do not exceed 4k for the first 1k miles unless in an emergency, then after changing the oil to a semi synthetic oil, run the car for a further 500 miles going gently up the rev range every 100 miles (ie +500 rpm per 100 miles).

3. (2 has been answered and this one probably has also but...) the only modification you can do to this car (depending if its eu or uk) is the PPP, if its eu then it has to (supposedly) go back to country of origin (unless they have changed the rules but you can still get it fitted over here).

Ensure you run your car on the best possable fuel, ie optimax or super unleaded, it gives the car a little extra everything
AWD, very good but not infalable, dont think your a rally driver even though you drive a rally dirived car, it can still bite and has considerably different characteristics to fwd/rwd cars, take it easy until you get use to the way the car feels.
My bit is now ended

Tony
Old 27 February 2004, 05:42 PM
fergie_uk
Scooby Regular

Thanx Chaps, but i read on several web sites that contrary to popular belief that the first 10 mile are the most important in running in ew pistoins, 1 artical says running in the first 20 miles hard actually seals the pistons better that running in slowley over 1000 miles

Read This

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Comments?
Old 27 February 2004, 07:19 PM
LB4
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm .... The thing that came to me reading this link (admitedly not all of it) was that he didn't mention revs. I think it's known that driving at a constant speed/revs is not the way to run an engine in and it reads as though he is just elaborating on that. Accelerating hard and then deccelrating. He is not advocating redlining your engine as i read it.
So the recommended limit of 4000rpm would still stand.

Gary
Old 27 February 2004, 07:28 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to remember that they can say whatever they like about running in a car, the fact is that it isnt their car and i doubt they would run it in like they stated, especially the first 10 miles as if your oil isnt warmed up properly its going to cause greater damage overall.
These people also only talk about running in engines, they forget about the rest of the car, you know, the brakes, gearbox, diffs, oh nothing important really, they dont mind if they break, just as long as you have a fast but worn out car. The manufacturers state 1k for a reason, thats to find problems with the car and to bed the car in, i feel these people who actually designed the car know what they are talking about

Tony
Old 28 February 2004, 06:55 PM
fergie_uk
Scooby Regular

Thanx guys, advice really appreciated now all ive got to do its to sit and wait for delivery. DAMN!!!!!

fergie