Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

TSL firestorm clearance problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2004, 12:17 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TSL firestorm clearance problems?

i've just got a 2nd hand firestorm and have noticed a bit of wear on the pipe which it seems is from the drive/axle shaft.
it was previously fitted to a STi6 TypeR WRC Ltd and going on my UKmy99, do the type R's have bigger drive shafts which caused this wear?

i'm not very clued up technically so although i'm quoting a drive/axle shaft if this is incorrect please don't bollock me

i assume it's done for flow, but my magnex kicks down a bit to avoid the driveshaft, whereas the TSL cuts it a bit fine by being straight.

i've not fitted it yet, so there may be plenty of room, i'm just posting this to get some feedback and maybe a solution if i DO have probs (it'll be monday and i guess nothing will be open if i need to buy anything!)

cheers
Old 10 April 2004, 01:55 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

You may find that the car it came off was slammed to the ground and the wear was from it bottoming out onto the diff or driveshaft or maybe it was just fitted to a different centre section that was routed slightly nearer the diff, anyway they usually are a good fit as my tsl was spot on

Edit: sold it after 2 weeks for an HKS, much better flow
Old 10 April 2004, 02:13 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andypugh2000
You may find that the car it came off was slammed to the ground and the wear was from it bottoming out onto the diff or driveshaft or maybe it was just fitted to a different centre section that was routed slightly nearer the diff, anyway they usually are a good fit as my tsl was spot on

Edit: sold it after 2 weeks for an HKS, much better flow
no, his car was using std suspension, could well have bottomed out thru general driving i guess, just trying to make sure before i go ahead and fit it.
don't know about the c/section, suck it and see i guess

is there REALLY much difference between backboxes regarding flow? full systems and changing from std i can understand, but when you're talking about aftermarket performance makes just how much of a difference is there? i recently had a TEK2 done and i phoned them to make sure the firestorm was ok as it was maped with my magnex and was told there was no problem with chopping and changing b/boxes.

not to fussed TBH, as long as it flows the same as the magnex that's coming off, i'm not bothered. only really doing it for the noise
Old 12 April 2004, 02:20 AM
markpm
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi there...

I have the TSL Firestorm fitted to my '99 STi Type RA Ltd, and I too was worried about clearance.
AFAIK the Type R/RAs have much bigger rear diffs than the 'standard' STi and the UK Scoobs, but mine fits perfectly with quite a lot of clearance...so it should be fine on a UK model...

Pic here

http://stanspics.fotopic.net/p655274.html
Old 12 April 2004, 01:26 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markpm
Hi there...

I have the TSL Firestorm fitted to my '99 STi Type RA Ltd, and I too was worried about clearance.
AFAIK the Type R/RAs have much bigger rear diffs than the 'standard' STi and the UK Scoobs, but mine fits perfectly with quite a lot of clearance...so it should be fine on a UK model...

Pic here

http://stanspics.fotopic.net/p655274.html
yep, panic over it's on the car now and there's a good 3/4" clearance to the diff/shaft with very little upward play in the exhaust. might bottom out in certain circumstances but all looks fine.

highly recomended back box by the way if anyones reading this thinking of getting one