Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Power upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2004, 09:50 PM
TIMHAN2001
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power upgrade

I'm wanting to get around 300bhp from my 98 uk turbo & am looking for some advice as to the best & safest ways to get it. At the mo i have a Blitz induction kit & full decat stainless exhaust, & would hazard a guess at it running around 240bhp. Is uping the boost with a boost controller the right next step? Is the TD04 capable of running 300bhp reliably with a boost controller? or am i better off upgrading the turbo? Is an ECU remap a better idea than a boost controller?

Thanx for any help
Old 14 April 2004, 10:27 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best I could get from my UK97 with the TD04 fitted was 240BHP,
This was with full decat, K&N induction, UNICHIP with a Dawes boost controller running 18PSI. This was at powerstation which does read low compared to other dynos. I ran this setup for a year with no probs.

I've since fitted a VF29 turbo and GruppeS headers and I am now just over 280BHP with the same boost. This again was at Powerstation, looking at comparable dyno graphs I'm now putting out more than most of the decatted P1's that have been tested their, probably close to 300bhp on other dynos. I've been running this for 8 months without problems (except worn out clutch )

I've just changed the flywheel and the engine response is much sharper too.

So to answer your question to get a true 300BHP you are going to need a different turbo. You will also need a boost controller to get the most out of your turbo (the cheap option of a Dawes controller has been great for me).

To get the most out of your setup it maybe woth investing in a programmable ECU controller such as a LINK, Unichip etc. but poeple have run over 300bhp on the stock ECU (do a search on Rich Wilds posts).

At higher powers you may need to invest in an uprated fuel pump and adjustable pressure regulator to get the most out of your small 380cc injectors (I've done this but the pressure is set to stock so I could have got away without it)

Its a slippery slope once you start

Rich

Last edited by Richard Curtis; 14 April 2004 at 10:29 PM. Reason: bad spelling