WR1 engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2004, 11:00 AM
Clive the Brave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation WR1 engine noise

Hi fellow Scooby people.

It's happened, got my WR1 about 1 month ago.
At 1000 mile there started a noise that started, something like a metal brushing noise on metal when you hit 4000 rpm, so my dealer arranged to change the turbo, something to do with the blow off ????
No idea myself what that is.
Anyway, got the car back last week just before Jap fest (Great Day :>))))) but the noise is still there, not only that after changing the turbo I now have a massive flat spot at 6000rpm, biggest when in 2nd and 3rd.
So the week after next Pro drive are arranging to visit the dealers and get it sorted.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has come across anything like this before.

Thanks guys and girls.

Performance is still good, not effected, I think.
Old 28 May 2004, 11:51 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's hope the flat - spot is not fuel related (leaning-out) I personally would not venture anywhere near those revs until it's sorted!
JohnD
Old 28 May 2004, 11:54 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Is it a chattering type noise? If so it's probably the wastegate on the turbo, you don't normally hear it on an unmodified car though. The waste gate opens and closes quickly to maintain the correct boost pressure once it is obtained (which would be around 4000 rpm).
Old 28 May 2004, 12:14 PM
Clive the Brave
Scooby Regular

The dealer did think it was the waste gate, I was told.
Also told that the waste gate is part of the turbo unit, which has been changed.
Also with this in-mind they checked another WR1 that was delivered for the noise and it was noise free.

Don't worry, I'm staying well away from the flat spot, setting my reg alarm for 5,500.

I'm just realllllllllly pissed that I'ev parted qwith 30k for a car and it's taking them 3 weeks to get Pro Drive to have a look at it.

Is there a quicker way to get this resolved ?

cheers guys.

Clive
Old 28 May 2004, 12:57 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Kick up a fuss. 3 weeks of pussying around isn't right...either they provide a courtesy car, or you keep running it to the redline. If it blows up you reject the car as not fit for purpose...if it doesn't you've not lost anything.
C
Old 28 May 2004, 01:20 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Old_Fart
Kick up a fuss. 3 weeks of pussying around isn't right...either they provide a courtesy car, or you keep running it to the redline. If it blows up you reject the car as not fit for purpose...if it doesn't you've not lost anything.
C
**** me, what a stupid comment to make - Kick up a fuss yes, but the rest

Now why woould he want to do that, I doubt he could reject that car at this stage, dealer/IM would rebuild it, which would take even longer !

Shaun

PS. Never mind the fact that its common knowledge that IM do actually read the posts on here.
Old 28 May 2004, 01:30 PM
Clive the Brave
Scooby Regular

Not thrashing it around at the moment, not till the flat spot has been sorted out and the noise. Knowing my luck, the engine will blow and I'll be with out my baby for weeks, driving round in some bag of bones of a courtesy car. I do have my golf gti as my 1st car but thats not the point.

Time for Mr.Hassle to hassle everyone possible, but the car show is on this week and Pro drive have other commitments there :>(

If IM do read the posts from time to time, then how about some feed back from them, I only want this resolved sooner than later.
Old 28 May 2004, 01:35 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Urban, glad you liked it..it was only partly in jest though. The car is almost new. If the dealer confirms that it is unsafe to use the car to it's full potential then they have an obligation to provide a replacement untill such time as they can make it right. If they say there is no problem, and the engine expires, then I think you'd have a very good case to reject the car.
Also, I would expect/demand that the courtesy car be in keeping with the WR1, so a current STI at least, no justy for me.
It's people that let themselves be pushed around by dealers that end up encouraging dealers to push them around. The WR1 is Subaru;s 'halo' product...they need to keep the buyers happy.
C
Old 28 May 2004, 02:03 PM
Clive the Brave
Scooby Regular

just spoke to my dealer again.
Pro drive are coming down a week tuesday with another WR1, so they will leave that if required, which is a good move.

Also my dealer is putting in writting that the car it ok for me to drive till then.
So thats gonig to cover me if the bonnet fly's off if the engine pops it's clogs.
Thats good news.

Goign to be intresting to find out just what the problem is.
I friend of a friend also has a WR1, fingers crossed we will touch base this weekend and check his against mine.

Thats for the tips guys, I'll post on here what the findings are from the Pro Drive visit.
Old 28 May 2004, 02:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh i wonder if thats their demo car they are bringing down then? it will be well "run in" if it is

Tony
Old 28 May 2004, 02:05 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Old_Fart
It's people that let themselves be pushed around by dealers that end up encouraging dealers to push them around. The WR1 is Subaru;s 'halo' product...they need to keep the buyers happy.
C
Very true Old_Fart

Cheers,

Shaun
Old 28 May 2004, 03:03 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

The wastegate suggestions sounds sensible. One of the changed from the PPP on my MY03 that gives the extra power in the WR1 is the solenoid on the wastegate - in the WR1 Prodrive have changed to one that they can control much better.
Old 28 May 2004, 03:25 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ThrustSSC
The wastegate suggestions sounds sensible. One of the changed from the PPP on my MY03 that gives the extra power in the WR1 is the solenoid on the wastegate - in the WR1 Prodrive have changed to one that they can control much better.
Interesting.... Didn't realise that. Just assumed it was the latest iteration of the ECU that allowed the slight power hike.

Hope you get this sorted out soon, Clive. There's nothing more frustrating than having a fantastic toy that you can't use to the full potential. Best of luck!

Cheers, HB.
Old 29 May 2004, 09:06 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Question

if i had a new car worth £30,000 with a ?turbo related fault i would keep below 4000 rpm until it was fixed as if you redline it subaru could say you made the fault worse!
not being sarcastic but did you run it in or redline it from day1?
martin