Replacement for inlet pipe? 90 degree entry turbo

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2004, 10:31 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Replacement for inlet pipe? 90 degree entry turbo

Just changed my TD04 for a TD05 on my wagon, and found the rubber/plastic inlet to the 90 degree entry pipe to the turbo is split around the jubilee clip area. Its the one between turbo inlet and resonator box, with the 3 pipes goingto it, and it has expansion bellow type parts to it.

Any one got a spare one they dont need, or as I have a oil catch can and can put a small filter on the ICV inlet line, I can do away with connections to this inlet pipe, can I get say a nice Samco hose to fit?

Any ideas, and if so where to get one?

Thanks
Old 20 July 2004, 11:56 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave one of these to dnb aka David Blades about 2 months ago - The ICV line still needs to be connected post MAF as the airflow will be taken into account.
Try Grade A Subaru

Cheers
Old 21 July 2004, 01:19 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

The ICV line can have a small filter on it, it's only used at idle ? Seen a few cars with FMIC doing that as they have no where else to source air to the idle control valve..? And these were mainly MAF equipped cars.

Agreed, if the ICV actually opens during throttle open periods then some unmetered air will enter the combustion chambers ... not sure of the ICV duty during load / TPS position / boost conditions? Would the latent over richness of fuelling on ecu Map be sufficient to prevent lean running?

Worth considering though, do Samco or others do such a hose?
Old 21 July 2004, 10:36 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive got a samco 90 degree...
Old 21 July 2004, 11:53 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Default Inlet hose

Originally Posted by David_Wallis
ive got a samco 90 degree...
David - I'll PM you for a price - what colour? Diameter ok for turbo inlet / MRT inlet pipe ( replaced inlet resonator box)?

Will the ICV air be a problem as mentioned above or will I get away with it?
Ta

Neil

Ok, not a PM but a mail to your e-mail addy as profile.

Last edited by vulnax999; 21 July 2004 at 12:02 PM.
Old 21 July 2004, 12:52 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vulnax999
The ICV line can have a small filter on it, it's only used at idle ? Seen a few cars with FMIC doing that as they have no where else to source air to the idle control valve..? And these were mainly MAF equipped cars.

Agreed, if the ICV actually opens during throttle open periods then some unmetered air will enter the combustion chambers ... not sure of the ICV duty during load / TPS position / boost conditions? Would the latent over richness of fuelling on ecu Map be sufficient to prevent lean running?

Worth considering though, do Samco or others do such a hose?
If you have the standard ecu the ISCV can NOT have a small filter on the end. The cars you have seen must have a MAP based ecu and not MAF..... easy try it for youself. Unplug the ISCV from the inlet pipe and put duct tape or something over the hole in the inlet pipe to seal it. Start the car and blip the throttle..... i'll bet my life the car can not idle and continually stalls.

Been there and tried it Be interested if you try ait nd and your car is fine tho!

Tony.

P.s does the same with my Apexi Power FC too.
Old 21 July 2004, 01:03 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Ok Tony, I'll try it. Not sure why that would be the case, as I only meant I would put a filter on the end of the pipe at the inlet pipe end not on the ISCV valve itself ... as long as the ICSV can suck clean air it may be ok? I need to try it! Guess as currently the ISCV would suck in air AFTER the MAF has measured it then the ECU can calc the right fuel etc. .....

Come to think of it, most of the cars I have seen doing this were FMIC and often Link ECU .. Link doesn't use MAF now does it ..?

So still need a new inlet pipe for 90 degree entry turbo.

Neil
Old 21 July 2004, 07:25 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

If you do try it let me know how you go on. I can't see it working tho for the reasons you say above. The air going in via the filter is un metered air... it hasn't gone past the MAF. So the ecu fuels for less air. Not enough fuel and so stalls. Be fine as long as you never let the car idle

Tony.
Old 21 July 2004, 07:46 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

it doesn't work, the small filter will be sucking in air after the MAF sensor!!!