Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Can you adjust the "trigger" level of HKS SSQV?

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2004, 09:22 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you adjust the "trigger" level of HKS SSQV?

When i bought my P1 recently it had an el-cheapo VTA dump valve fitted. I had the dealer remove it and put a OE Subaru re-circ back on as it was a cr@ppy one and it dumped whenever you lift off the throttle, no matter what RPM the engine was doing. It sounded like a chavvy Renault 5 turbo and i was a bit embarrassed to test drive it!

I'd be interested in the HKS SSQV as i like the sound they make, but only if it can be tweaked to only dump above certain RPM/loads. I'd like to have it dumping if i'm going above say 5000rpm, but would prefer if it kept quiet if i was just driving around town sedately.

Is this possible?

Also, what's the re-circ option available for these? Does it give you the best of both types of dump valve?

Ta,

Iwan
Old 24 September 2004, 09:33 AM
B4 Boy (at work!)
Scooby Regular

I know the Forge d/v's have different colour changeable springs for different loads and there is also this one that looks interesting!!!

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/GFB_stealth.htm

Matt
Old 24 September 2004, 01:33 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
When i bought my P1 recently it had an el-cheapo VTA dump valve fitted. I had the dealer remove it and put a OE Subaru re-circ back on as it was a cr@ppy one and it dumped whenever you lift off the throttle, no matter what RPM the engine was doing. It sounded like a chavvy Renault 5 turbo and i was a bit embarrassed to test drive it!

I'd be interested in the HKS SSQV as i like the sound they make, but only if it can be tweaked to only dump above certain RPM/loads. I'd like to have it dumping if i'm going above say 5000rpm, but would prefer if it kept quiet if i was just driving around town sedately.

Is this possible?

Also, what's the re-circ option available for these? Does it give you the best of both types of dump valve?

Ta,

Iwan

Psssssssssst, Pssssssssst

Chav boy
Old 24 September 2004, 02:36 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Old 24 September 2004, 04:06 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

MattW - that wasn't the most helpful of responses mate.....

Iwan you can get a recirc adaptor for the HKS - try JW Racing - I couldn't get the thing to fit when I tried on MY00 but I do believe you can purchase some new hoses to make the job a little easier, should you decide to go the Recirc route ?

HTH
Old 24 September 2004, 04:35 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

I too bought the re-circ adaptor for the HKS for my MY02, but could find/get any hoses to fit....

Would be handy if someone sold an already made up hose pre-bent to fit.
Old 24 September 2004, 05:04 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I don't see any point in using an SSQV as a re-circ valve. If everything else is standard the small benifit is really not worth 200 odd quid.

A forge re-circ would be good.

The spring can be adjusted on the ssqv but it will still dump around the town unless you're very gentle. It only adjusts the opening of the primary piston, but that opens at very low boost. A single piston valve would be better if you don't want it to dump all the time.

G-force do a twin piston one with one re-circing and the other piston VTA which should be what you're after.

IMHO there is no point in changing from the OEM dump valve unless it breaks. It's just a waste of money (says the man who just sold his SSQV )

Dave
Old 24 September 2004, 07:45 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

IMHO there is no point in changing from the OEM dump valve unless it breaks. It's just a waste of money (says the man who just sold his SSQV
And then recommends a forge recirc
Old 24 September 2004, 09:07 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info all.

Matt and I have this friendly banter about being chavs going on, i have a scooby (therefore am a chav) but Matts Evo has an exhaust you could lose small/medium sized mammals up. And his regular is chav-central, aint it claat?
Old 25 September 2004, 10:55 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
Cheers for the info all.

Matt and I have this friendly banter about being chavs going on, i have a scooby (therefore am a chav) but Matts Evo has an exhaust you could lose small/medium sized mammals up. And his regular is chav-central, aint it claat?
lmao, and about the time you were posting that, I was round the corner sinking my first guiness(of the evening)
Old 25 September 2004, 11:04 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I'd have come out for an ale if i'd known. But i'm on call (again), and as you well know, as a responsible engineer i don't go drinking when i'm on call.

<whistles innocently>