Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Excedy Organic Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2004, 07:49 AM
Mackers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Excedy Organic Clutch

Had the above fitted by DP Motorsport in warrington, but I am now suffering bad clutch jjjuuddderr!! The boss Dave told me that my fly wheel did not need skimming so why the judder, I might as well have got a bloomin paddle!

Has anyone suffered similar symtoms with one of these?

He's trying to tell me I might have to contact Excedy!!
After he test drove it, all he said was that it felt a bit fruity!!

Thanx for any comments,

Dave.
Old 08 October 2004, 10:25 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

I have just had an exeddy clutch unti fitted.
although I fitted a lightened skimmd flywheel.
it was fruity, it was very on/off when fitted and I was worried.
after about 2/300 miles though it seems to have bedded in really nice, that and Ive got used to the action compared to my old smelly, slipping clutch.
the thing with mine was that I had adjusted the pedal previously to take out some slack in the pedal, when the new unit went in itt was very stiff pedal action so I slackened it off a bit.

wicked

thanks David at API, delivered when you said for a top price
Old 08 October 2004, 11:16 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Peanuts
I have just had an exeddy clutch unti fitted.
although I fitted a lightened skimmd flywheel.
it was fruity, it was very on/off when fitted and I was worried.
after about 2/300 miles though it seems to have bedded in really nice, that and Ive got used to the action compared to my old smelly, slipping clutch.
the thing with mine was that I had adjusted the pedal previously to take out some slack in the pedal, when the new unit went in itt was very stiff pedal action so I slackened it off a bit.

wicked

thanks David at API, delivered when you said for a top price
Old 08 October 2004, 11:18 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Exedy from APi have a 12 months unlimited mileage warranty. You should not have to talk to Exedy the supplier should do that !!

If he's interested in customer relations.......

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
Old 08 October 2004, 11:51 AM
Olly Powers
Scooby Regular

I have an Exedy organic clutch. I was told to "run it in" for about 200 miles. I had no work done to the flywheel. It was a little bit juddery to start with but I put alot of that down to the smaller biting point and my driving. It now doesn't feel any different to my old clutch, no smells or fruitiness.
Old 08 October 2004, 12:16 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Talking

I also have an Exdy clutch from API fitted and have no fruityness to report either.

My original flywheel was well shagged so I bought a wrx flywheel from API too.

The action is very light and the only smells to report were my own doing

er I mean I was responsible for riding the clutch on 10 point turn in a forest rally parking manouver at the weekend on an up hill.

In summary, a bloody good clutch at a bloody good price from a bloody GOOD company.

Thats a bloody good company for any one who is unsure!!!

Ste.

Last edited by STE.W.; 08 October 2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08 October 2004, 12:42 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by STE.W.
I also have an Exdy clutch from API fitted and have no fruityness to report either.

My original flywheel was well shagged so I bought a wrx flywheel from API too.

The action is very light and the only smells to report were my own doing

er I mean I was responsible for riding the clutch on 10 point turn in a forest rally parking manouver at the weekend on an up hill.

In summary, a bloody good clutch at a bloody good price from a bloody company.

Ste.
I hope you've missed out good by accident !!

David APi Impreza / APi Engines
Old 08 October 2004, 12:53 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Talking

Originally Posted by APIDavid
I hope you've missed out good by accident !!

David APi Impreza / APi Engines
Sorry David.

I suppose thats me discount out the window then ???

Now corrected and as I meant it to read.

Ste.
Old 08 October 2004, 01:16 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by STE.W.
Sorry David.

I suppose thats me discount out the window then ???

Now corrected and as I meant it to read. Ste.
Discount !! at my prices !!

Best you can hope for, is free coffee when you visit, Long way away? Shame!

Old 08 October 2004, 09:57 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had an Exedy "group N " clutch ( ??? ) fitted by the local Subaru dealer, although I had ordered an AP Racing Organic clutch. I had told them / reminded them of the probable problems with the flywheel ( cracks, high points etc ) known on higher mileage cars ( 70,000 at the time ) on OEM clutch, and used to be sorted under warranty with new flywheel/clutch assembly, my car had been slipping on boost for 3 weeks or more while waiting for a fitting slot.

When I went to get the car they said the flywheel had high spots so they rubbed them down with a stone ( ?? ) and it would be all right.

There was awfull judder as soon as I tried to back out of the car park, I went in to ask them to test it and they were closing soon, but call if it stayed bad. When I phoned they said it needed 200 - 300 miles to bed in, let them know later in week.

The judder stayed and just got worse. On pulling away, reversing, changing down, whole car shuddered very badly.

Had the flywheel changed last week ( elsewhere as car was undriveable and had no joy from dealer ) for a lightened balanced OEM one exchange from ASPerformance ( Thanks Alyn ), and the garage showed me the Exedy clutch - cover was blue from over heat, spring pressure plate picked up, friction plate scored and blued, flywheel very discoloured and loads of high spots and cracks. Pics available!
Showed the flywheel to a Metallurgist ( awaiting report ), very bad as friction surface has "lifted") and created high points as the cracks opened up, so small friction surface on clutch plate and hence high temps, which ruined clutch. Back to dealer I go soon for refund.

All down to flywheel not being replaced when I instructed them to change it or at least have it inspected and machined. The bill even says cleaned up flywheel!

This was over about 4 months, 2000 miles!

So it could be the poor flywheel state.

Apols for long post, wanted to share possible problems if flywheel not changed.
Old 09 October 2004, 10:58 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mackers
After he test drove it, all he said was that it felt a bit fruity!!
Mackers, are you sure he didn't say he thought you were a bit fruity?
Old 12 October 2004, 06:52 PM
joolz74
Scooby Regular

Hi

I have a std MY95 turbo which has just started to slip on boost ie 3000-3500 then it is ok. I phoned Subaru dealer Donalds , Peterboro and was quoted .... £1200 !!! This can't be right??? does anyone know the price of a stock clutch (£200-250 i guessed) and the book time (ie not the actual time) to change one? What's involved. I wouldn't have thought there was much more to it than a rear wheel drive car ?
Whats the price on exedy kits? Saw someone on ebay (missed the auction end) selling them at £155 inc thrust bearing. Any help appreciated as soon I feel I will be literally , going nowhere fast
joolz
Old 12 October 2004, 08:07 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The Exedy "grp N" clutch was £350 plus VAT.

Main dealer chgarged £200 labour. Main dealer supplied clutch etc. too.

Std Subaru clutch is about £230 ish IIRC, book time is about 5 hours.

Bit more involved than a rear wheel drive, as the intercooler ( top mount type anyway ) has to come off, to get off the starter motor, later probably the downpipe, then prop bearings/mounts, several gearbox mounts, drop wishbones to swing suspension outwards and pop the driveshafts out of the gearbox splines.... mind that oil too!
Only a couple or 3 bolts on early classics, and 2 dowels .. which may sieze a bit!
Don't forget the clutch release fork from the box, or it won't come off!

Changing the clutch is then easy, and off you go on the reassembly.

Some guys on here reckon it can be done in 2 - 3 hours on own, some suggest engine out and still do it in under 3 hours!

hope that helps!

Ohh yeah, allow for a flywheel, as they often crack / get high spots, which caused my problems as dealer didn't change it with clutch.
Old 13 October 2004, 06:01 PM
joolz74
Scooby Regular

thanks Vulnax , great help - i am still mystified as to how they come up with that figure, especially as i expected the book time to be around 8 hours - on that basis thats £110 hour labour charge. It's due at the dealer tomorrow for it's 6mnth oil change , (to keep up the service stamp basically) - i'll present them with the facts and see what they say,
cheers
joolz
Old 13 October 2004, 11:05 PM
Mackers
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Mackers, are you sure he didn't say he thought you were a bit fruity?
Maybe he was and I innocently misinterpreted, lets face it, 6 hrs labour charge and a load of speel, he's trying to have the kecks off someone!!
Old 13 October 2004, 11:11 PM
Mackers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Spot On

Originally Posted by joolz74
thanks Vulnax , great help - i am still mystified as to how they come up with that figure, especially as i expected the book time to be around 8 hours - on that basis thats £110 hour labour charge. It's due at the dealer tomorrow for it's 6mnth oil change , (to keep up the service stamp basically) - i'll present them with the facts and see what they say,
cheers
joolz
Listen to Vulnax mate, I've now seen a couple of lads change their's in around 3 hrs all be it on a ramp and my mate did his in the street in 4.5 in the rain!
Old 13 October 2004, 11:42 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

dp motorsport eh?

i woundn't go there again!
Old 16 October 2004, 04:42 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

I've just fitted one of the Exedy organic kits to mine as the original clutch was juddering when pulling off in either cold or damp conditions. I replaced the flywheel at the same time for a lightened (8kg) and balanced item.
It seemed to have cured the problem at first, but now the problem is back, the judder is not quite as bad, but it now does it in the dry also.
I have done about 200 miles since fitting it.

Any ideas on what else it could be, or should I just be patient (something I'm not good at) and see if it goes away?
Old 16 October 2004, 05:15 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

I`ve had one fitted & the flywheel lightened & balanced at the same time too. That was 10 months ago, haven`t had a problem whatsoever.
Old 18 October 2004, 10:42 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by speedydaveb
I've just fitted one of the Exedy organic kits to mine as the original clutch was juddering when pulling off in either cold or damp conditions. I replaced the flywheel at the same time for a lightened (8kg) and balanced item.
It seemed to have cured the problem at first, but now the problem is back, the judder is not quite as bad, but it now does it in the dry also.
I have done about 200 miles since fitting it.

Any ideas on what else it could be, or should I just be patient (something I'm not good at) and see if it goes away?
Let it settle for maybe 500 miles, if still juddery the maybe you'll need another.
BUT, I would try a full blooded, make the clutch smell, standing start to try to take off any high spots as a last resort before changing it.

Old 18 October 2004, 10:01 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, I will let you know how I get on.
Old 22 October 2004, 12:44 AM
Mackers
Scooby Regular

Default Thanks

Same here cheers lads