Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Knocklink activity??

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2004, 08:47 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocklink activity??

I have just fitted a new Maf after some unwanted activity on the Knocklink. It was overboosting now and again, the idle was'nt perfect and had all lights lit up on the knocklink on occaison.

I put it down to the Maf due to the fact it was last replaced 3 years ago, I have had the Map sensor checked and the Lambda sensor is mostly overlooked due to a Tek 3 re-map.

After fitting and re-setting the Ecu I took it for a normal drive for 30 mile. Then accelerated in fifth around 4-5000 revs, which is where the knocklink lit up 'briefly' like a xmas tree before and it happened again. It does not do it whilst going through the gears on a quick sprint though

Any ideas anyone?, have I got anything to worry about?

simb
Old 08 October 2004, 10:04 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Anyone??
Old 08 October 2004, 10:16 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your getting detonation ... hence the knocklink lights!

Sorry.

Wide open throtle at load and as torque is high is where you would expect det ... as you see!

Looks like the Tek3 map is not quite right for your car - have you changed anything since the remap?
Sounds like you now have too much boost and map can't pull the ignition back enough to avoid det. Could be the colder weather if it is recent.

You say it was a Tek3 .. and also say refitting the ECU? Was it a custom map or an off the shelf / mail order Tek map ??? The so called Tek2 is a general improved map but the Tek3 is a custom map for your actual car / engine in THAT state of tune.
Tek 2 may not be ideal for all cars ( unlikely to be!) as they are all not the same, especially with mods.

Tek3 is custom mapped to your car so should be ideal, unless you change stuff or it was an agressive map and it is upset now with weather being colder.

Dunno if that helps, but a couple of ideas.

I'd call your TEK mapper and discuss.

Also could be some hose problem around boost solenoid cusing extra boost and that may increase det.
Old 11 October 2004, 06:05 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vulnax999
Your getting detonation ... hence the knocklink lights!

Sorry.

Wide open throtle at load and as torque is high is where you would expect det ... as you see!

Looks like the Tek3 map is not quite right for your car - have you changed anything since the remap?
Sounds like you now have too much boost and map can't pull the ignition back enough to avoid det. Could be the colder weather if it is recent.

You say it was a Tek3 .. and also say refitting the ECU? Was it a custom map or an off the shelf / mail order Tek map ??? The so called Tek2 is a general improved map but the Tek3 is a custom map for your actual car / engine in THAT state of tune.
Tek 2 may not be ideal for all cars ( unlikely to be!) as they are all not the same, especially with mods.

Tek3 is custom mapped to your car so should be ideal, unless you change stuff or it was an agressive map and it is upset now with weather being colder.

Dunno if that helps, but a couple of ideas.

I'd call your TEK mapper and discuss.

Also could be some hose problem around boost solenoid cusing extra boost and that may increase det.
Thanks for responding mate and sorry for me not responding sooner, been away for the weekend.

The only think I have changed since the re-map is the induction filter, from an oiled one (old one fell apart due to it being oiled) to non-oiled (same make).

I have'nt refitted the ecu, I mean't to say "fitting the Maf and then resetting the Ecu"...Sorry about that, bad day.

Thanks for the rest mate, gives a few more avenues to explore.

Incidently, i've just come back from a long journey over the weekend and all seemed fine, just a couple of greens on the knocklink, which i'm putting down to engine noise rather than Det. Still going to get it checked out to be safe.

simb
Old 11 October 2004, 06:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your car mapped to run on any sort of fuel or one type specifically?
As maps are usually more agressive, the possibility of a bad tank of fuel, could have caused you problems?

Tony
Old 11 October 2004, 08:56 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your running an induction kit, change back to a panel filter. There will be little or no losss in performance and the MAF will work better and be alot happier
Old 12 October 2004, 07:48 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Is your car mapped to run on any sort of fuel or one type specifically?
As maps are usually more agressive, the possibility of a bad tank of fuel, could have caused you problems?

Tony

It was supposed to be mapped for optimax only, I did'nt realise that it takes around three tanks of optimax, without OB to wash the OB out of the system. So went up with just the one tank of optimax only. I still run it on optimax + OB to be safe.

What your saying about a bad batch of fuel does seem to add up, as the Knocklink only lit up at the very end of one batch of fuel and the very start of another....and so far all is fine.

simb
Old 12 October 2004, 07:51 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott.T
If your running an induction kit, change back to a panel filter. There will be little or no losss in performance and the MAF will work better and be alot happier
Have considered this but the current Induction kit (MRT), has been fine and not done any damage to the Maf that i'm aware of. The car has had two new Maf's fitted since new...so that's not too bad for a MY99.

simb
Old 12 October 2004, 09:28 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

<cough> original OEM MAF on a MY94 Wagon ... and yes, I removed airbox and fitted a cone induction type thingy 18 months ago with no problems ... but the later thin film MAFs are more fragile than the older hot wire types of the older classics...

The airbox with a genuine STi panel air filter is a damn good compromise - a bit louder than std panel but filters as well and flows better, doesn't oil foul the MAF, and is properly mounted in the airbox so the MAF is not vibrated about like an induction kit often does....

Hope you get sorted..

Neil