Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

SAFE BUGEYE RUNNING WITH....

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2004, 06:54 PM
GUNNER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile SAFE BUGEYE RUNNING WITH....

Will a 01 bugeye still run safely without cel light etc playing up,if fitted with prodrive sportscat downpipe mated to h/s decated back 3 section's and the up-pipe replaced with decatted one.Tek 3 is on the card's but want to know if this can be done,and the car run without re-map for a while?

Cheer's
Mike...
Old 08 October 2004, 07:12 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldnt be a problem.

Gary
Old 08 October 2004, 09:52 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Its the downpipe that usually upsets the CEL, or to be more accurate the lack of Cat in it. The ECU thinks there's a problem with the cat.....

If you're fitting downpipe with a cat in it then it should be ok.
Old 09 October 2004, 02:00 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Possibly, possibly not. In the early days of bugeyes, a lot of people in the states (see NASIOC) fitted sports cat downpipes, with no other cats in place. One of th emore popular manufacturers quoted that about 8/10 of them didn't have the CEL come on, 2/10 did. I have a sports cat system on my 02 WRX. No CEL problems, until I decatted the up-pipe, whereby CEL would come on if you stay at a steady 70 or so - once it's on, it stays on. I was obviously one of the unlucky 20%

However, since that, I've done about 20,000 miles with a resistor/capacitor fix to the rear 02 sensor - cost 23p for the bits, plus about 10 minutes under the car with a soldering iron. I did post the details, probably something like 15 months ago.

The newer TEK 3s will map out the CEL problem anyway.

A WRX will run fine with a replacement exhaust without a remap - a lot of people have done so safely. The ECU will take a few miles to "learn" the mods - it may well run a bit off to start with, but will soon settle down, and will improve for the first hundred miiles or two, although a remap will improve things further. The STi is prone to boost spiking unless it is either remapped or had a restrictor change - if you have an STi, take advice before fitting the exhaust.
Old 09 October 2004, 08:45 PM
r5obbo
Scooby Regular

i've been wanting to change the exhaust on my 03 wrx ppp for about a year now but havn't really been given a straight answer. i did try the h&s centre section, but it knocked on the underbody,was told it wouldn't fit cause the ppp front decat pipe was wrong ??so it wouldn't match up with the h&s pipe.
what i really wanted was the sportscat downpipe and rest of system back, but then was told you have! to have it remapped !
i couldn't see the point in having it done then to only gain 15 bhp at a cost of £500 for re-map. £500 for sports cat plus about another £500 for the rest of the system.
have i been misled or confused with advise ?have you got to have it remapped or what? wont any of the ppp exhaust fit up to say a h&s system ? would it be best to have resonated centre section if i had sportscat and back ? OR would it be best to have just cat back system no remap or sportscat and save approx a grand for the sake of 15 bhp.
its confusing to me aswell, but ive got the money burning a hole in my pocket. i know the sound i want in my mind and its not the sound the ppp exhaust gives.
ideas, info, much appreciated.........
Old 09 October 2004, 09:15 PM
GUNNER
Scooby Regular

OK,i think i might take the chance and hope i'm one of the 80%,the ppp downpipe should fit surely,the rest of my h/s system mated to the oe one?
Old 10 October 2004, 08:26 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Regards needing a remap with a PPP'd WRX - I don't have experience with that map - which is effectively an ECUTEK remap of an ECU to prodrives own specifications for the PPP exhaust. I would expect it will run fine with a full de-cat, but I wouldn't expect any dealer / prodrive to tell you that in case something goes wrong. I can say that I'm not aware of anyone having had problems with decats with the standard ECU or the old 01-02 "piggyback" PPP ECU.

Resonated centre section is purely noise related. If you want more noise, don't fit a resonated section, if you want less noise, fit a resonated centre section. Either will work equally well with or without a sports cat.

There's a lot more to the benefits of a well sorted engine than just power increase, IMHO. My 02 WRX went up to low 280s bhp, but the bigger difference is getting lots of boost/torque by about 2500rpm or so (260lbft before 2800rpm on one rolling road session), and power that doesn't fade until nearly 7000rpm. I found the standard bugeye didn't do much until 3500 and was all done by about 6000. Sure, I don't mind the extra ~70bhp from standard , but spreading the power up and down the range was at least as important, I think.