Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Boost Control

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2004, 10:40 PM
ande
Scooby Regular

Location: Crowbuck Scoobies, Near the rolling sea, where the weather is calm and still! Come on Sing along!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost Control

Hi, I have got a Scoobyworld Ninja back box, Afterburner centre section and will have a H&S Downpipe tomorrow. I am worried about boost creep so did a little experiment with the vacum pipe for the turbo actuator. I removed the pipes from the boost solenoid and just ran a pipe from the manifold. the boost only went up to 0.4 KG/cm2. If I fit the centre section and down pipe, will I actually need to use the boost solenoid?

Ande.
Old 08 October 2004, 10:51 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes.
If you want good boost anyway.

What you did was just boost to the spring setting of the wastegate actuator, which will be around 9 psi ( not sure what 0.4 kg/cm2 is in real units! ) which is the mechanical limit set into the turbo / wastegate actuator.

The boost control solenoid, working with the setings in the ECU map, bleeds off some boost pressure from the turbo outlet / manifold pressure before it reaches the wastegate actuator, so the engine can each higher boost targets. This is one of the things changed in a remap of the ECU.

No boost control solenoid, you are limited to the actuator pressure limit!

No doubt if I got this wrong I will be corrected shortly!

All you will do with the exhaust parts you have will be to reduce turbo back pressure and allow it to breathe more easily, and perhaps increase early spool up. No real downsides, no major need for a remap etc. with these changes. You may see a small increase in maximum boost pressure, maybe 1 psi ?
Old 09 October 2004, 02:23 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

What you were running was stock boost, usually about 0.6 bar (mine is) thats all you will get with the boost solenoid disconnected, as said above if you dont want more boost than that it will be ok but whats the point in that??

Why not fit a dawes device between the actuator and the boost hose coming from the manifold so you can then set the required boost level you require and fine tune it to eliminate boost creep??

andy
Old 09 October 2004, 04:23 PM
ande
Scooby Regular

Location: Crowbuck Scoobies, Near the rolling sea, where the weather is calm and still! Come on Sing along!

Fitted all my exhaust bits today. Spools up so much earlier and harder! Boost goes up to 1.1 KG/cm2 (Decimal of Bar?). Spoke to someone at Roger Clark Motorsport. Told that would be fine but if it goes over 1.2 KG/cm2 then it will need knocking back a bit so will leave for now until the temperatures drop some more.

Thanx for the replies.

Ande.

Originally Posted by andypugh2000
What you were running was stock boost, usually about 0.6 bar (mine is) thats all you will get with the boost solenoid disconnected, as said above if you dont want more boost than that it will be ok but whats the point in that??

Why not fit a dawes device between the actuator and the boost hose coming from the manifold so you can then set the required boost level you require and fine tune it to eliminate boost creep??

andy