Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2004, 10:47 PM
simon97wrx
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Boost problems

Howdy all, my first post here but not my first visit,
anyhow ,

I have a 97 imported scoobs and have had it for bout 6 months now when I got it it blew a bit of smoke and the garage I got it from arranged for an engine rebuild, which took.........
...AGES ,

once I got it back I drove it to work casually as you do for about a thousand miles and then had the oil changed.

On the way to work one day I gave it the first fair squirt and noticed the boost gauge go off the scale, thinking that this could be a faulty gauge or just my eyes did it a bit more and then had it checked and low and behold the guy who tested it couldn't get it to do it, so I have been driving it around for a while now and have noticed how and when it does weird boost things.

Some days it will start and boost normal when over taking it will over boost and cut out for a second, and then sometimes will then not boost past 0.4 bar or some days it just wont boost past 0.4 bar until I keep my foot down and as if by magic it suddenly decides to boost either way over to 1.5 bar or just to normal levels 1.0 ish

Now does anyone know what this could be or anyway for me to see how to change or stop this, please.

I thought maybe it is the boost valve sticking ?? or the dump valve sticking causing this behaviour

Any help appreciated !!!!!
Old 10 November 2004, 11:22 PM
scoobtech
Scooby Regular

1st thing i would be checking is the actuator arm m8 ....make sure its not seized solid into the diaphram.

then i`d be checking all vacuum hoses for leaks , feel the 1`s near the turbo and make sure the rubber is still flexible (they go hard/brittle & crack)

then i`d be checking all your induction piping to and from your intercooler & throttle body .....do this by spraying carburetter cleaner around all your piping & joines with the engine idling .......if your engine RPM`s increase you have a airleak .

after that i would then pop vacuum hoses off your boost controller and blow them through .

if you still hav`nt got a answer then take it to a MOT testing centre & ask them to just do a gas analisis .....if the tester sez there`s a problem .....ask him for a printout or note down your ....CO ....O2 .....& lambda readings & post em on here......it`ll just give us a bit more to go on .

HTH
scott
Old 11 November 2004, 08:55 AM
simon97wrx
Scooby Newbie

Default Cheers for the reply

Ok will have a lok at those things, all except the emissions (FULL DECAT) !!

Cheers
will let you know should get a chance to do it this weekend !
Old 11 November 2004, 09:01 AM
scooby26dude
Scooby Newbie

What mods are done to the car ? Maybee it has a faulty external dump valve ?
chris
Old 11 November 2004, 01:26 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

If you have a length of vacuum hose, you could swap it with the OEM stuff that links your compressor to your wastegate actuator and Ts off to your wastegate solenoid. Your boost should be a constant 0.5bar with no variation. If it is, this proves your wastegate is operating as it should. You can then swap the hoses back over.

Then put ECU into diagnostic mode, remove the hoses from the wastegate solenoid (remembering which goes where) and soak with brake cleaner. You might need to remove the solenoid itself to get the spray where you want it to go. Put everything back together, disconnect green connectors, cross your fingers and go for a spin...

Last edited by The_Judge; 11 November 2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 17 November 2004, 08:56 AM
simon97wrx
Scooby Newbie

Smile Boost Problems still

OK the problem seems to be when it boosts too much then it goes to 0.4 and will not boost anymore for a minute or two sometimes ages, I cleaned the dump valve and had a look at the solenoid (going to try it this weekend) first I got to read up on the ECU diag mode thingmy bob.

Cheers
for all your help

Simon
Old 21 July 2005, 09:15 PM
simon97wrx
Scooby Newbie

Default BOOST DROPPED OFF TO LIMP MODE PERMANENTLY

Evenin

Granted I was having spike and fuel cut issues and that is why I have reset the bugger, but on the way to work it just would not boost over 0.4 (on my gauge)

The car is now permanently stuck in the Fuel cut mode, with no light or sensor indication warning when I reset it.

I have just had an Engine from API cuz of the TOTAL useless and if I ever bump into him again DEAD ******, BRETT form A5, who finds it relatively normal and acceptable to drag the faces and wallets of people through **** to get rid off the crap that he sells.

I wonder if any of you have any thoughts on my boost problem please, I have to sell it to pay for the engine but first must get it running sweet again !!!!!!

Cheers

GUYS