Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

What Octane!

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2004, 05:41 PM
chip01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Octane!

I have recently had my V5 type r engine rebuilt and whilist running it in I have been quite sensible but I have done quite a few miles in her now around 1.6K and now have started to give her some stick however I am worried about the octane issue as i am just using optimax. I have bought a bottle of the millers plus which raises the fuel to 100ron is this enough or should I be better using 2 bottles on a tank to get 102. This octane issue is only a short term thing until I can afford a remap
Old 11 November 2004, 09:39 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not aware of any Millars that will raise a tank full (60 litres) to 100 RON.
optimax is 98.3 so to get to 100 Ron is a rise of 17 octane points. 10 points = 1 RON.
2mls per litre of NF will possibly get you there.
Which Millars and what does the label say. It could be a new product I am not aware of yet.
Old 13 November 2004, 07:32 PM
WRX STI Type RA.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
I am not aware of any Millars that will raise a tank full (60 litres) to 100 RON.
optimax is 98.3 so to get to 100 Ron is a rise of 17 octane points. 10 points = 1 RON.
2mls per litre of NF will possibly get you there.
Which Millars and what does the label say. It could be a new product I am not aware of yet.
Harvey.....I spoke to the technical guy at millers just the other day....To enquire about this very question....His reply was,To add a full bottle of millers to a full tank of optimax ..Would infact raise the octane by a minimum of 1.6 ron..And by giving the car more than a bottle per tank full,Would raise the ron by 2 full points=98.6 to 100.6 ron..
He stated,To slightly overdose would be no problem....BUT...Megga overdose.."COULD" lead to cat malfunctions...But only "COULD"....Kev.
Old 15 November 2004, 10:40 AM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Personally I'd stay off boost until you can get it re-mapped. And at the very least get a Knocklink fitted so you can see if there is any det.

Better to be safe rather than waste an engine re-build.

Dave.
Old 18 November 2004, 03:58 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Kev: Do you know which Millars product. There are several and I am interested to try the one that you are referring to.
Old 18 November 2004, 04:12 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Harvey,
isnt that still a fairly poor comparison to adding NF?
if going for it with NF, ie 5ml/l optimax (whole bottle per tank) dont NF claim a six RON increase, potentiall showing up to 104RON in the tank?

Andy
Old 18 November 2004, 10:20 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Manufacturers make claims and I am sceptical.
The NF Race Formula bottle I have here now says "6 RON" but it does not say 'x' mls per litre or 'x' mls to 'y' petrol will result in '6 RON.
I read a comparison from a fuel analytical laboratory and they tested about eight octane boosters. NF came out joint first and the report stated that 3mls per litre raised the octane 2.8 RON. The cost of NF is about £14 for a single 300 ml bottle and comes down substantially when bought in bulk.
I have a can of Pro Boost here but like NF it does not specify any octane improvement for a specific fuel quantity. I think it costs £8.50 per can and even with one can per 50 litres I was not happy with its performance.
Millers Octane Plus states one full bottle (250 mls) per 50 litres petrol "Boosts octane level of premium or super plus unleaded petrol by upto 2 octane numbers". I take that to mean .2 RON. There are ten points to 1 RON. Cost is about £3 per bottle if bought in bulk. Millers CVL which is about £5 per bottle states adds upto 3 octane (30 points). 250 mls (1 bottle) treats 20 litres. So 2 1/2 bottles per 50 litres = £12.50.
If WRX STi Type RA would like to tell us which Millers product he is talking about I would be happy to conduct a trial in day to day usage but I have tried most octane boosters and so far have not found anything better than NF. This excludes experiments with methanol, toluene and other additives but we are not comparing like for like and the use of these products is not very practical.
Some of the best blurb came from 'Chemical X'.
"Chemical "X" Green Power Booster is specifically designed for Forced Induction applications. In Turbo or Supercharged vehicles Chemical "X" is guaranteed to achieve power increases of 2-5% with no tuning changes. Chemical "X" is also guaranteed raise octane effect of unleaded pump gas by 10-20%. Chemical "X" contains synthetic lubricants, that are released in the combustion process, extending cylinder wall, ring and valve life by up to 500%. The use of this product will substantially reduce emissions, clean and lubricate the entire fuel system. Contains no MMT or MTBE, and is safe for all EFI vehicles."
Guess I must have got a duff batch
Old 18 November 2004, 10:31 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Oh. And don't forget Nitrox Power Hotshot. Maximise your power. Increase bhp by upto 10%.
NOS octane booster, 355 mls states an increase of 7 points ie. .7 RON. Perhaps a more tempered claim. It is marked "For racing use only" but it fails to state how many litres of petrol need to be treated etc. etc.

These are just some of the ones I have here and have already tried. Forgive my scepticism but I think it is well founded. If I find something that works better than NF I will happily share the information.