Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Removal & replacement downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2004, 04:34 PM
LeMans
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal & replacement downpipe

Is replacing the OE downpipe with a decatted downpipe simply a matter of unbolting either end and replacing or is it more difficult than that and is the front section changed from above or underneath the car - thought I would ask before I start the job !.
Old 16 November 2004, 04:56 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Yes in theory it is that simple, but, you will find that one or more nuts will have siezed. You have to remove the top head shield bolts first(might involve removing intercooler, or at least loosening it), then remove the remaining heatshield bolts from the under side. Spray the downpipe nuts in WD40. Remove the oxygen sensor from the downpipe. Then hopefully you can undo the 5 nuts which hold the down pipe to turbo. Undo the other end of the downpipe( two nuts) and refit with Decat.

I would change the gaskets at the same time and have in stock new studs, incase one breaks off.

Just done this last week to my car and what a difference it makes

Andy
Old 16 November 2004, 05:10 PM
scoobtech
Scooby Regular

just to add to andy`s instructions ....there`s 2 brackets that hold the cat in place aswell ....1 near the flange 2 middle , 1 off the side of the cat 2 g/box .(both 14mm head size)

depending on which de-catted pipe your fitting you might have to cut your original turbo heat shield so that it fits ....although a lot of people leave it completly off after this mod .
Old 17 November 2004, 12:35 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LeMans
Is replacing the OE downpipe with a decatted downpipe simply a matter of unbolting either end and replacing or is it more difficult than that and is the front section changed from above or underneath the car - thought I would ask before I start the job !.
Just to add, if it's a newage car & your new downpipe replaces ONLY your old downpipe (and nothing more) you can ignore the part about removing the oxygen sensor because there is no sensor in the newage downpipe (it's in the next part of the exhaust).