What upgrades for a Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2004, 12:45 AM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What upgrades for a Classic?

Have a K&N Induction kit,
What can i add to give more bhp,All opinions wanted good/bad based on experience.
Old 20 November 2004, 12:48 AM
MadDogWRX
Scooby Regular

Full-Decat Afterburner Vortex Exhaust System.
Old 20 November 2004, 01:03 AM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

tek3 if its a my99 or newer
Old 20 November 2004, 02:23 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

panel filter, downpipe, centre section, backbox, tek 3 remap. Turbo is good for 280bhp, I managed to get 330lbft torque
then handling and brakes to match, then go on a few advanced driving lessons to keep it all on the road.
Old 20 November 2004, 02:25 AM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

cw42 could you tell me where you got these advanced driving lessons? and what they entail? thanks very much
Old 20 November 2004, 03:06 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

First I'd do an engine reset, to see if the I/K has shaken the MAF to bits. If it hasn't, either add some sort of cold air feed directly to the I/K to restore some of the power potentially lost through sucking in hot air, or replace the filter box and add a decent panel. Then as the others say, up-pipe, down pipe, decat and BB and finish it off with a remap. Agree with the driver training, it's amazing what a pro can teach you.
Old 20 November 2004, 05:58 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

scoobydoo69, I've been out about 5 times now with a guy who is first and foremost a standard driver trainer, he's also an advanced driving instructor, has taken police out on driver training, and his hobby is co-driving for rally drivers, so he knows his stuff
I met him by chance through my next door neighbour who at the time was taking lessons off another instructor, who went on to recommend him to me.
The instruction on braking, accelerating, cornering, speed, awareness and ability have been invaluable.
On our last lesson, he noticed that I had made a big improvement in my driving, and paid me the compliment: "I would co-drive with you on a road rally any day"

chris.

ps, he also loves coming out in my car, and very rarely lets me pay for the lesson
Old 20 November 2004, 09:57 AM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Location: I wish we had a non-profit making website to put here.

Trust me, these lessons are worth it. First time I met CW42 we could have cycled quicker! Now, I lose about a mile every 5 minutes to him!
Old 20 November 2004, 11:14 AM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Opps, forgot i have a full decat magnex system, now how did i forget that :P

And yes i have already had a maf go and after 3 months, its doing the same thing again, 3rd to 5th gear theres what feels like overboost, and yes getting a cold feed to the I/K on monday.

Also off to TSL in feb for the weekend with some of the ISDC members for a visit and maybe a few additions, So any more advice is welcome.

And i agree the Lessons are a must, did mine a loooooong time ago, and have saved me a few times over the years, still im not old enough to learn more...

Old 20 November 2004, 11:16 AM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
panel filter, downpipe, centre section, backbox, tek 3 remap. Turbo is good for 280bhp, I managed to get 330lbft torque
then handling and brakes to match, then go on a few advanced driving lessons to keep it all on the road.

Emmm, never really understand why people want to add all that power first then find they can't stop the thing.
Surely the way to go is,

Brakes and suspension first
Engine indications....Knocklink monitors, oil pressure/temp, boost etc next
Followed by the Engine mods
Then finally the cosmetics.

I've been running an STi2 for a couple of years. I've now got all the engine indications i need and have improved brakeing. I'm now considering my options for extra power.
260 bhp as std at the moment so looking for at least 300 for starters
Old 20 November 2004, 12:58 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Trust me, these lessons are worth it. First time I met CW42 we could have cycled quicker!
thanks mad, but I always cycled faster than you too!

Good point Rokay, but what if you increase the power over what your brakes and suspension can handle, then you've got to upgrade it all again. Maybe better to match brakes and handling to the power?
chris.
Old 20 November 2004, 11:44 PM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42

Good point Rokay, but what if you increase the power over what your brakes and suspension can handle, then you've got to upgrade it all again. Maybe better to match brakes and handling to the power?
chris.

Chris, well i can see where your coming from and perhaps you have a valid point at least in the sense of saving that hard earned money. As i'm a relatively new owner to the Subaru i think before one rushes into mods it's important to get a good idea what you want from the car in the first place. Just how much power do i want. I'm i satisfied with the thing as std. Well the answer to that now is no. This car is now a play thing for me so all the work i do is done carefully and methodically. I now know what sort of power i'm looking for from the engine and will have brake's to suit. I also know the sort of power i'm prepared to go to, so no further upgrade on that system will be nessesary apart from different pads may be.
IMHO i think it pays to think twice don't rush into things to quick and pay one. Saying all that i suppose i am lucky in that i have a powerful car with out having to do any mods to it if i so choose.
Old 21 November 2004, 10:36 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

rokay, its nice to see you have a plan for your upgrades, and are sensible about the amount of power you actually need. All to often on here you see people chasing 350+ bhp, and to what end? They are no quicker in the real world than a standard car over a distance, some just turn out to be more of a handful, and less reliable.
Good luck with your mods m8, maybe post in "projects"?
chris.
Old 21 November 2004, 12:46 PM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris, yep i feel around the 320 mark will do just fine. should be able to manage this quite easly i would have thought. Certanly up in the dizzy heights of 350 ish things start getting a tad expensive and things start to break more easly. No, it would be nice to break the 300 mark and enjoy it at that.
Old 21 November 2004, 04:45 PM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Thx for the replies so far, but i need more indepth info, good and bad ref mods
Was looking at a few sites last night, and in specific areas like brakes suspension, power etc, is it possible to get 300bhp from a classic?
Old 21 November 2004, 08:20 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilHimSelf
Thx for the replies so far, but i need more indepth info, good and bad ref mods
Was looking at a few sites last night, and in specific areas like brakes suspension, power etc, is it possible to get 300bhp from a classic?
Yep, quite easily if a jap import, less easy ( read: more expensiver ) for a UK car. Jap's start higher power !

For cheapish mods, go to Subaru 4 pot front calipers and biggers disks, and uprate pads at same time front and rear. Think about braided brake hoses ( flexi's ) and better fluid.

Look at suspension - uprate anti-roll bars, link bars and bushes all round.

STi panel in air box, or a GOOD induction kit ( no drilled steel Blitz or HKS kits that eat mafs, just a good K&N or similar kit mounted well will be ok ).

If changing the dump valve, stick with a recirculating one, as vent to atmosphere ones upset the air/fuel mixture every time you lift off.

Engine mods start with decat centre and free-flowing back box, decat performance downpipe ( big gain ), air intake as above, better plugs ( colder ), then think how far you want to go and change up-pipe and headers; bigger/better top mount intercooler; injectors and get a remap; turbo and get a remap; front mount intercooler - remap; etc
That would give lots of increases overall, quite a lot on each stage!

In the above you could get a ScoobyECU or VOS chip or other ECU upgrade chip or remap, which would get the best out of the mods at that time, depends on cost and model year.

hope that helps
Old 21 November 2004, 11:10 PM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vulnax999
Yep, quite easily if a jap import, less easy ( read: more expensiver ) for a UK car. Jap's start higher power !

For cheapish mods, go to Subaru 4 pot front calipers and biggers disks, and uprate pads at same time front and rear. Think about braided brake hoses ( flexi's ) and better fluid.

Look at suspension - uprate anti-roll bars, link bars and bushes all round.

STi panel in air box, or a GOOD induction kit ( no drilled steel Blitz or HKS kits that eat mafs, just a good K&N or similar kit mounted well will be ok ).

If changing the dump valve, stick with a recirculating one, as vent to atmosphere ones upset the air/fuel mixture every time you lift off.

Engine mods start with decat centre and free-flowing back box, decat performance downpipe ( big gain ), air intake as above, better plugs ( colder ), then think how far you want to go and change up-pipe and headers; bigger/better top mount intercooler; injectors and get a remap; turbo and get a remap; front mount intercooler - remap; etc
That would give lots of increases overall, quite a lot on each stage!

In the above you could get a ScoobyECU or VOS chip or other ECU upgrade chip or remap, which would get the best out of the mods at that time, depends on cost and model year.

hope that helps
Ok its a MY00 classic Irish car, with the following 1st off, i upgraded the brakes front only, then i got a magnex decat from engine to back, then an K&N I/K, which so far has eaten 2 mafs, front strut brace which IMHO has made the car more stable, have reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery, which seemed to fix my overboost problem, for a while, it has returned tho

I am seriously thinking of going back to original air flow to the turbo, with maybe a K&N panel filter, or using forced induction by sealing off the I/K, will need more info on this, i would like to get a remap, but cant decide on which one, really dont want a piggyback chip, so again more info if possible.

Ok i suppose i really should get a list of "wants" together and then decide, also thx for the info so far.
Old 22 November 2004, 12:24 PM
TAINTON
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DevilHimSelf
Ok its a MY00 classic Irish car, with the following 1st off, i upgraded the brakes front only, then i got a magnex decat from engine to back, then an K&N I/K, which so far has eaten 2 mafs, front strut brace which IMHO has made the car more stable, have reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery, which seemed to fix my overboost problem, for a while, it has returned tho

I am seriously thinking of going back to original air flow to the turbo, with maybe a K&N panel filter, or using forced induction by sealing off the I/K, will need more info on this, i would like to get a remap, but cant decide on which one, really dont want a piggyback chip, so again more info if possible.

Ok i suppose i really should get a list of "wants" together and then decide, also thx for the info so far.
Also have MY00 with added PPP.
Currently have vortex backbox with deact centre, next is decat downpipe which should release few more horses.

Been told that the following should see 300bhp after the above:

TD05 Turbo upgrade,
Walbro fuel pump and pressure regulator
TEK3 ECU mapped by Pat
Knocklink, AFR, and defis, to keep an Eye on things.

May stick with existing turbo though td04 so with above should see about 275ish bhp.

Best
Ashley
Old 22 November 2004, 02:03 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

My car hit 300bhp yesterday

MY99 UK turbo
Bob Rawle TEK3
VF24 turbo
green panel filter
walbro fuel pump / FSE reg
Scoobysport full decat
2002 WRX top mount intercooler

See - can be done with simple bolt-on mods, and a good remap. I quite like my torque line

Old 22 November 2004, 05:45 PM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Default Why was my thread moved?

Why was my thread moved?

Very Very Very nice stats BuRR