Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Type R Flywheel question

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2005, 02:16 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type R Flywheel question

Just been offered a standard 1996 WRX Flywheel for a good price. My Type R needs a new clutch (and hence one would assume a flywheel skim) in next few weeks and it'll be easier for me if I can have the flywheel and clutch ready to give the garage to fit at the same time (as opposed to removing the old flywheel and then having it sent away and skimmed).

Anyone know if a 96 WRX flywheel will fit my 98 Type R (V4) - I intend having it lightened and balanced/skimmed? Is it the same flywheel or do Type R's have a different/uprated type?

Many thanks,

Russ
Old 13 January 2005, 10:55 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RussBoy
Just been offered a standard 1996 WRX Flywheel for a good price. My Type R needs a new clutch (and hence one would assume a flywheel skim) in next few weeks and it'll be easier for me if I can have the flywheel and clutch ready to give the garage to fit at the same time (as opposed to removing the old flywheel and then having it sent away and skimmed).

Anyone know if a 96 WRX flywheel will fit my 98 Type R (V4) - I intend having it lightened and balanced/skimmed? Is it the same flywheel or do Type R's have a different/uprated type?

Many thanks,

Russ
It'll fit straight on !!

Just be careful to look at the friction surface, as if it has some blotchy, shiny patches it is an indication of excess heat and WILL judder. Equally if you can see ANY cracks in the face it is a no-no too.

Careful when lightening - get it done by someone familiar with Subaru, yoiu can go too light.

Good luck, kind regards David APi Engines / APi Impreza