Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

To resonate or not to resonate...

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2005, 12:28 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To resonate or not to resonate...

that is the question.

I'm changing my exhaust system at the moment. Currently I have a standard DP and centre and a H&S Backbox.

I've bought a Graham Goode Sports cat DP, but I'm yet to buy the centre section.

I want to keep the noise levels reasonable, and I'd like to know how resonated centres compare to straight-throughs, in terms of noise and performance. I'm not keen on going deaf for a couple of extra BHP.

The car is a MY98 saloon, used on a mix of driving including at times quite a lot of motorway miles.

Thanks

Mike
Old 12 January 2005, 12:35 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Smile

I had a Magnex system, much better with a resonated centre IMO, much less boominess at motorway cruising speed. Still sounded good too.
Each to their own though.
Originally Posted by Mike P
that is the question.

I'm changing my exhaust system at the moment. Currently I have a standard DP and centre and a H&S Backbox.

I've bought a Graham Goode Sports cat DP, but I'm yet to buy the centre section.

I want to keep the noise levels reasonable, and I'd like to know how resonated centres compare to straight-throughs, in terms of noise and performance. I'm not keen on going deaf for a couple of extra BHP.

The car is a MY98 saloon, used on a mix of driving including at times quite a lot of motorway miles.

Thanks

Mike
Old 12 January 2005, 12:44 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

personnaly it you are talking 2.5inch system then I think the difference between the catted centre and the resonated centre is so little performance wise if you want it quieter then sell the downpipe on and buy one without a cat and keep your centre cat fitted. Emissions will be fine with just the centre cat.

Most of the power and response gain is with the downpipe.

I can feel the difference between catted centre (refitted for MOT) H&S downpipe and bbox and complete H&S system with no resonator powerwise.
Noise is not THAT much different but slightly louder with no car or resonator.
Old 12 January 2005, 03:43 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Resonator just takes the nasty harshness of the exhaust note. Cant imagine any loss in power as the exhaust gases still flow smoothly through.

I would say get a resonated centre...it still sounds fab.

Bob
Old 12 January 2005, 04:00 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies. I think I'll go with the resonated centre then. All I've got to do is pick one up off here second hand, but they don't seem to come up that often...
Old 12 January 2005, 04:48 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Same here - resonated Ninja centre - still get a nice amount of noise but the nasty rasp that I got with the afterburner non resonated has gone. Can't say I have noticed any difference in performance - MY00PPP
Old 13 January 2005, 03:47 PM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

I've got an H&S DP and backbox and a Ninja resonated centre, and after putting the catted centre back on for an MOT and then removing it, I definately noticed that the car is both quicker, and also quieter with the resonated centre than with the catted one, the resonated centre reduces the boominess on the motorway, and as people have said, it softens the hard edge of the noise on WOT, I reckon it sounds better with the resonator in. Haven't tried a non-resonated centre but presumably it'll be very similar to the resonated on in terms of power and response, and a good bit louder and harsher sounding.
Old 13 January 2005, 04:41 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Yes the H&S Afterburner non-resonated sounded very harsh and loud !! I do like the way my scoob sounds now with the resonator in place None of that rasping nonsence