Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Exhaust Headers, whats the deal

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2005, 12:07 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Headers, whats the deal

OK, so after reseaching what to do, it seems that an aftermarket manifold, well lagged is the thing to do after sorting out a good system from the turbo.

However I have seen Megan Racing manifolds (1 peice with up pipe) on eBay for about £250, but all the UK manifolds seem to be £800+ (Are Megan just rubbish?)

I have also seen different diameters specified. With a narrower pipe I presume that the speed of flow is higher to the turbo, does this help torque more than ultimate power ?

While I presume higher diameter headers have less back pressure, better for top end performance ?

So which exhaust manifold gives the best results for road use ?

97MY with sports cat hi flow system.

Thanks
Old 13 January 2005, 02:09 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

The Megan headers are not rubbish! One of the Cumbrian lads has just fitted some and they are awesome quality. I've not seen any better constructed headers, the welds are immaculate and the bends are mandrel formed so they flow continuously rather than "stepped". And best of all they actually fit unlike other types that are available!
Old 13 January 2005, 02:32 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark is right it was my car that had the megan manifolds fitted to excellent quality I tried gruppe s headers and had nothing but problems with leaks etc these fitted perfect and the advantage with them they come with a flexi uppipe you still have a bit of the flat four burbble but when your flat out its like a spitfire on roids the power band moves further up the range as well or it seems to have done its getting remapped with a few other bits added at the end of the month so hopefully I will get the most out of it then.
Old 13 January 2005, 02:38 PM
wrrjones
Scooby Regular

i import these they are fantastic quality and all one piece so no blowing at joints.

chris
Old 13 January 2005, 03:18 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Are they really on ebay for only £250... does that include up-pipe??? If so anybody want a H+S slip jointed up-pipe

Tony.
Old 13 January 2005, 04:51 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Yeah, there was one being bid for at £240 'Buy now' £250 a few days ago. (1 currently being bid at £90ish !)

I did some quick reseach and found some poor reviews about Megan products, but they were talking about Evo parts. Their main gripe was the welds were splitting. How long have you had the headers on for ?

Don't all have a go at once I was looking for some feed back. Do the Megan (and other) heads fit under standard heat sheilding or is the suggested wrapping to take the heat sheilds place ?

If they are as good as you guys say, how come Power Engineering, Graham Goode etc all have £800+ items ?

Have seen another style from Japan. 4 pipes into 1 right in the middle beneath and in front of the engine, then curving round to the up pipe. This is different from all the others I've seen, anyone with any experience ?

Last edited by ClintUK; 13 January 2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 13 January 2005, 09:50 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car

Clint I have had them on for about a month now and cant report any problems yet, you do away with your heat shields and just use exhaust wrap.Tone loc yes they come with uppipe they are all one piece with a 3inch section which is flexi welded into the base of the uppipe.
Old 14 January 2005, 01:24 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Sorry for being dumb - what is a flexi weld ?
Old 14 January 2005, 01:32 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

It has a flexible section welded into the pipe for expansion etc.

Tony.
Old 14 January 2005, 06:17 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

i have just bought a set of these for £260 of ebay and the quality is superb cant wait to get them wrapped and on to the car.
Old 14 January 2005, 07:36 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

at that price it would be rude not to.

gruppeS v2 ARE better that the old V1 by all accounts..
no probs so far.

bttt for a useful bit of info!

Last edited by chrome; 15 January 2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 15 January 2005, 11:34 AM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

banny - let us know how they fit , and what they feel like on the road.

interested to see where the power comes in - is it higher up the rev range ? or have you gained a decent amount of torque ?

must admit the quality looks good in the pictures .
Old 15 January 2005, 03:45 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

once they are heat wrapped and the engine has had the vavles changed i will let you know how they perform.

Originally Posted by IPALMER
banny - let us know how they fit , and what they feel like on the road.

interested to see where the power comes in - is it higher up the rev range ? or have you gained a decent amount of torque ?

must admit the quality looks good in the pictures .
Old 15 January 2005, 08:15 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)

We know that metal expands when hot, which is why Subaru put flexible joins into both the cross, and up pipes. This is replicated in the after market products, with the use of either flexible, or slip joints.

IMHO, the use of solid cross pipes is a big mistake, and I know of other manufacturers who have had major issues. "Supersprint" for example, have just changed to a slip jointed cross pipe version, because of the problems.

The problems are predominantly the cracking/fracturing of the pipes around the head flanges. It's due to the stress of the pipes trying to expand, but with no where to go. Over time, the metal fatigues, and eventually fails.

I'm sure the welding looks great, and that they will improve performance, my concern, is for how long !

I suspect it will be a little like the "two bolt" flange issue, with some people having nightmares, and others getting away with it.

Mark.
Old 15 January 2005, 08:57 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Only just looked at the pic on ebay properly.... Mark is spot on about the solid cross pipes. Hadn't noticed that just glimpsing at the pic.

I won't be considering these.

Tony.
Old 15 January 2005, 11:21 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Let me guess, Lateral Performance sells another make?
Old 16 January 2005, 12:05 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)

Mark,

Let me guess, Lateral Performance sells another make?
If you think my comments are commercially based, more fool you.

I gave an opinion, and qualified it.

If you choose to ignore basic physics, that's up to you. However, recommending other people do it, is irresponsible !

Mark.
Old 16 January 2005, 10:20 AM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

The guy asked for opinions on the Megan headers. I gave him my views and then he went away and did some more research. How is that irresponsible????
Old 16 January 2005, 12:35 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Mark,

I'm sorry, but what are your views based on ? So the welding, and bends look great, and they fitted. I don't dispute this.

Ask yourself, "does metal expand when hot" ?

If the answer is yes, then ask yourself "Could this cause a potential problem, on this design of headers" ? If your answer is yes, then ask yourself if my comment was a sensible one to make !, and if your advice is "responsible".

Then you can ask yourself why you would feel the need to question my motives !!!

If you answer "no" to the questions, there's not a lot I can say............

Mark.
Old 16 January 2005, 01:08 PM
H.Q. RALLY PREP
Scooby Regular

Aswell as the MEGAN headers on e-bay ther is also another set which has flexi joints on the n/side flange which allows for expansion plus they are 4-2-1 design which gives no loss of torque in the mid range and are equal length.
these ar also on a BUY-IT-NOW for 240 = p+p from japan.
cheers mark
Old 16 January 2005, 08:04 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

if your advice is "responsible"
There's nothing irresponsible in what I said.
Old 16 January 2005, 08:17 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

right i want a proper answer in regards to this topic as i have just bought these headers.

Originally Posted by mark@wrx
There's nothing irresponsible in what I said.
Old 16 January 2005, 09:53 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Banny as I said earlier I haven't had any problems yet it was just the issue that I had with the gruppe-s leaking and the cost of the megan headers against other makes if the welds crack I will just get them welded and then make up a slip joint on the cross pipes.
Old 16 January 2005, 10:11 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

thanks with the amount i have paid for them, i can deal with the welds cracking and as you say get them welded and make up a slip joint on the cross pipes

Originally Posted by gussy
Banny as I said earlier I haven't had any problems yet it was just the issue that I had with the gruppe-s leaking and the cost of the megan headers against other makes if the welds crack I will just get them welded and then make up a slip joint on the cross pipes.
Old 16 January 2005, 10:37 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Guys,

I made the post because I know the design is a potential problem.

I have suffered with pipes cracking, on a very similar design, and at Autosport, I was speaking to the guys from Supersprint, who said they have just modified their headers for the same reason. If you look at their web site, you'll see the old design, as well as the new. The old design is marked "whilst stocks last".

The Supersprint headers retail at circa £800.00 + vat, so I guess it's cheaper for them to sell the old ones, and if they fail, replace them under warranty with the new type!!!

No comment !

I'm just telling you my experiences, what you do with them is up to you.

Mark.
Old 17 January 2005, 01:07 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

There's another header design in the states which sound similar to the Megan kit (someone email the link to me please). The US kit is only $204 buy it now!!! So even if it did crack it's a throw away price!

IMO the heat expansion could be taken up in the flexi up pipe joint from what I've seen in the picture.

F

Last edited by Floyd; 17 January 2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 21 January 2005, 10:34 AM
jbagh
Scooby Regular

I have one- quality is very good. Fitting is somewhat easy (onepiece - but it will go up there).

Flow is VERY good imo. I would agree with Floyd on the flexi joint. I will get back once I have tested it some more. The uppipe on this header is appx. ½-1 inch bigger in dia. than HKS !!

/Jesper

Last edited by jbagh; 21 January 2005 at 12:58 PM.
Old 21 January 2005, 10:49 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

Agree with Marks comments on the expansion and cracking.

Also with Floyds comments for the throwaway price.

You pays your money.....

Jon.
Old 05 February 2005, 05:55 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

BTT.... you guys with the Megan racing versions, don't suppose you know the ID of the up-pipe on them do you?

Tony.
Old 05 February 2005, 07:58 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Why don't you PM jbagh? I'm interested too!

F

Quick Reply: Exhaust Headers, whats the deal