Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Breakdown WRX MY04

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2005, 06:19 PM
WHY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breakdown WRX MY04

Driving to work this morning doing about 40 mph the car just cut out completly, just managed to coast into a layby, had done about 8 miles, the engine turned over but wouldn't start.Phoned Subaru Assistance (who were brilliant, couldn't do enough for me and arranged a loan car in under 2 hours,) luckily the rescue service that was comming out to me was less than a mile away and after waiting about 15 minutes for them to arrive i tried the car again and it started first time, when the rescue service phoned me for my exact location i told them i would drive it to them (the turbo wasn't working and there were no warning lights on the dash). The main dealer has had the car all day and say they can find nothing wrong (they are keeping it overnight to try again in the morning).

Car had PPP fitted 3 weeks ago.
No other mods.

Any ideas
Old 14 January 2005, 12:42 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bit strange to cut out totally.. they have obviously found no error codes?

cam postion sensors or crank position sensor perhaps.. but would expect you to see other problems before this.
Old 14 January 2005, 04:34 PM
WHY
Scooby Regular

Got the car back from Dealers today and they found nothing wrong, told me they had reset the ECU ?, it know feels like it did before PPP was fitted (power wise) how do i check i still have an PPP ECU on the car (just to put my mind to rest).

Mark W.
Old 15 January 2005, 04:31 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt the dealer would take the PPP off and not tell you - but there again. The Ecu is under carpet on the passenger front floorpan, It's then hidden under a shield to stop frightened passengers squashing it as they press their 'brake pedal' PPP ones have a sticker on them in chrome-y sort of colour covering the join so it can't betaken to bits without busting the sticker.

Originals just have a Denso sticker with two large letters like Y6 or something similar and other detail on a flat surface not across the join.

Resetting the ECU is just disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds and off you go again. As well as the possibility of the crank and cam angle sensor failure I'd consider fuel pump as another culprit. They usually splutter a bit before failing but there's nowt so queer as a faulty motor car when logic is applied.

David APi Engines / APi lmpreza
Old 15 January 2005, 05:32 PM
WHY
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that David, done some serious driving in it today and no problems, will just have to put it down as one of those things and hope it doesn't happen again.

Mark W.
Old 15 January 2005, 06:07 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WHY
Got the car back from Dealers today and they found nothing wrong, told me they had reset the ECU ?, it know feels like it did before PPP was fitted (power wise) how do i check i still have an PPP ECU on the car (just to put my mind to rest).

Mark W.
if its a my04 i thought they are just standard ecu's but ecutek'ed??