Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY98 Headers Question

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2005, 09:02 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY98 Headers Question

Ok, the standard headers on my car have given up.. So I am looking to replace them.

Current Spec of the car is:

Full 3" Blitz NUR Spec R System
H&S 3" Downpipe
Walboro
440 Injectors
RamAir Panel Filter
Standard MY98 ECU

Planned Mods:

Dawes/Electronic Boost Controller
HKS Fuel Cut Defender (unsure about fitting this at the moment)

I have done a search on "Headers" and have seen lots of things about GruppeS, OBX, Borla etc.. Un-equal/Equal Length..

Can I fit any of these onto my car without going for a re-map on the ECU, cause I know how hard/impossible a 98 ECU is to work on.

I just dont want to put a standard set back on, as it seems more sensible to upgrade them now I've got the chance.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 03 February 2005, 10:02 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Grant, Megan Racing headers don't have the slip-joint in the cross section the others you've mentioned do but i've just ordered a set from the states for peanuts.

If you do a search for Rich Wild you should find some interesting pointers on tuning a MY98 UK using the standard ECU.
Old 04 February 2005, 12:09 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Thought my ears were burnin'

Is the car a UK, WRX or STi?

If a UK or WRX, I wouldn't have put 440s in on the standard ECU if it is standard. The car will be probably overfuelling quite badly. Need a mappable ECU for injector changes.

Headers wise, what about porting a set of OEM headers? Just another option to consider.

Rich
Old 04 February 2005, 01:36 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Thanks Carl, any links for your dirt cheap ones......

Rich, its a UK Turbo and the injectors were on the car when I got it.. and I was going to keep them (albeit running rich as ****) because it would mean that the car isnt running lean at high revs, I'm very paranoid about blowing my engine!!

I considered getting some OE Headers and getting them ported, but, dont know anyone locally (within 50 mile radius) that does that sort of thing.. and as I said in first post, when I break things I am always reluctant to put standard parts back on, so need to know if I could get away with fitting some uprated headers on the car.

Rich, from the looks of your car, it is possible to do it on the Std ECU & Injectors... but what supporting mods would I need in addition to the current spec of my car?!

I take it that getting diffferent headers would increase the bhp, any ideas how much each option, Ported OE/Equal/Un-Equal, would increase the BHP??

Just trying to get this sorted out ASAP, as the car is a daily driver, and its no good to me sitting in the driveway doing nothing!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 04 February 2005, 03:47 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

I have some ported headers doing nowt atm Grant. I could also whip those injectors out for you as we arranged if you fancy a trip up to Aberdeen. You know my email.
Old 04 February 2005, 04:10 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I dont remember arranging that injector thing mate...... I do, however, remember arranging to borrow your Prodrive ECU until you come to sell your PFC.

I couldnt drive the car all the way to Aberdeen the way it is, it really sounds dreadful mate!!

What are GT Spec II Headers like?? I am trying to get hold of a set.. they are from the SIDC Group Buy.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 04 February 2005, 09:01 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Prodrive ECU? What Prodrive ECU? I've PM'd you regarding the headers.

Rich, care to mention how much power your car made on an OEM ECU, 380's and ported headers?
Old 04 February 2005, 10:28 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I would seriously take those injectors out if running on a standard map/standard fuel pressure. Forget running lean on the standard ecu, i'd say it would be dangerously rich on those 440s. Can only imagine what AFR it is running. If you are still on a TD04 the 380s and standard map will still be richer than ideal at say 1.3bar.

Tony.
Old 05 February 2005, 11:54 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Quite agree with Tone.

Grant,

You are worrying about popping your engine and you should be more worried about destroying it with bore wash. There is nothing wrong with fitting ported OEM headers over stainless ones.

Power wise I gained 15bhp with HKS headers on another subaru (dynoed immediately before and after), but lost 15lbsft in the midrange and the car was generally laggier. This was on the OEM ECU. When a Link ECU was fitted, the full benefit of the headers was released and I got my torque back.

I fitted ported OEM headers with a ported stainless uppipe to my current car with the OEM ECU and combined with, bit more fuel pressure, bit more boost Those mods got me almost 40 horse over the previous spec.

One mod I would certainly put on your car is a knocklink if you are planning on serious power.

Carl,

My car was dynoed at 386bhp on the OEM ECU (and on 2 other occasions made 379 and 381 on different days, so no fluke) but the car was very sluggish off boost. Now running an Apexi Power FC, so will be interetsing what it does now. The performance in the lower revs is now much livelier.