Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

induction mini scoop

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2005, 02:41 PM
craig5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default induction mini scoop

i'm fitting a k&n induction to my my00 and have a remap straight after will i need a mini scoop for some added cold air and who make's the best type
Old 05 February 2005, 06:52 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

you don't really need one but it couldn't do no harm by fiiting one, there's a few about now, do a search on here or
www.skoops.co.uk
www.drmotorsport.co.uk
www.etsracing.com
www.jap-innovations.co.uk

Old 05 February 2005, 08:01 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

It can do more harm! At idle the heat will 'chimney' back up through this mini scoop and raise the temperature in the air filter area by some margin.

F
Old 05 February 2005, 11:14 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

Surely at idleing speeds the heatsoak (if indeed there is one) is not an issue? You only need 20-30 horses on the road to amble along mate.
Old 06 February 2005, 06:38 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

"chimney" let's gas's etc up and out, how does it "back UP through this mini scoop" heat will rise out of scoop to an extent when stopped
it has got to be better than having vent's on with steel plate's underneath stopping air getting in or out
Old 06 February 2005, 09:51 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ73
"chimney" let's gas's etc up and out, how does it "back UP through this mini scoop" heat will rise out of scoop to an extent when stopped
it has got to be better than having vent's on with steel plate's underneath stopping air getting in or out
I think he is saying that when stationary the hot air track created by the engine will flow out through the mini scoop, & therefore past the Induction kit.
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
Old 06 February 2005, 09:59 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I know a number of cases where people have been sat at the lights in summer (big heatsoak on the I/C and Induction cone due to no flow - they've gone for a big launch and.... pop.

There is a theory that is messes up the underbonnet flows, which were thought out by the Subaru designers.

Your best bet is is to make a box to segragate the cone off, but yes, you are almost back to the design of the air box Which is damn good with a good panel filter.

Short answer is you dont need an induction cone until you're pushing 300 bhp IMHO. I did a back to back RR with a cone on and off (although no learning from the ECU) it dropped my torque, and the miniscule bit of power I got was probably just where it was causing the MAF to lean out.

In my case (320 ish bhp) my airbox is now causing a restriction which I have to sort with a cone of some sort.

MB
Old 06 February 2005, 07:06 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

Old 06 February 2005, 10:58 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

daz34 is correct. But hey, people ask for advice and it is given and then you have to decide which advice to take. If you don't like what you hear then ignore it!

I personally leave the blanking plates on to stop heat accumulation and extra moisture/road debris.
F
Old 07 February 2005, 07:03 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

thought the whole point is to get "cold" air to the filter, if you stop of course the heat will rise out thru scoop's
how does leaving the blanking plate's ON stop heat accumalation ?? if it can't escape ?
why did subaru put these extra hole's (vent's with blanking plate's) in for ???
Old 07 February 2005, 08:24 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Perhaps it was for looks or maybe homologation reasons. If they thought the benefits were better to leave them off then surely the would have...?

If you want cold air then duct it from the inner wing and segregate the air filter from the engine bay. Leave the blanking plate in place and ditch the mini scoop.

It sounds like you are determined to fit the mini scoop and justify it to yourself. Fit it by all means but measure the temps in the filter area at idle and let us know what you find.

F
Old 09 February 2005, 08:14 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

well you could segregate the filter as you say and still fit an "open" mini scoop ! why at "idle" these work when your driving not standing on idle at traffic light's or sitting day dreaming on your drive !!
Old 09 February 2005, 12:42 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

MB stated the reason earlier. You can also get a 'jacking' up of heat in the summer. The induction path with accumulate heat in traffic and your mini scoop could add to this cycle.

F
Old 09 February 2005, 09:19 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as there is a proper cold air box under the mini scoop i can't see the raise in temp of the inlet air at idle to be any worse than stock.

At the moment i have a thermocouple placed in the back of the engine bay snorkel in my 99UK turbo. When on cruise the temp is a pretty constant 10-12 degrees C above ambient outside air temp, but when you draw up to a halt the air temp rises shockingly quickly! Like upto about 45 - 50 degrees C within 30 seconds.

If you have a properly seperated and heat shielded air box seperated from the engine bay with a good cold air feed to it from outside ie: a mini scoop i can't see you having any problems, however i would like to see some measurements on a classic shape car with such a system verses a standard air inlet system.

Dan.
Old 09 February 2005, 09:24 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having just re read the earlier posts, i think that what is most important is to stop the convection path from happening.
ie: just adding another hole in the top of the bonnet with nothing underneath allowing a current of hot air to escape whilst stationary would be bad. Causing all the hot air to be drawn past the filter.

The addidtion of a proper sealed cold air box should prevent this nasty by product and make the addition of a mini scoop a worthwhile one!

Dan.
Old 10 February 2005, 08:37 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

why is this all about standing still ? Does the i/c scoop work best standing or when driving ? does AP brake's work best standing still ? coilover's ? i can't see how a pipe into your inner wing's going to work better than a mini scoop IMO when DRIVING
Old 10 February 2005, 08:50 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

You're missing the point.

Just put it and be done with it

MB
Old 10 February 2005, 12:52 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

DJ73, please re read the above posts carefully

Danny, you are on the right track with the heat shield mod. The Mini scoop would work in this case but with the shield you probably won't need it anyway!!! The scoop may cause more drag loss than cold air gain!!! There's never something for nothing

F
Old 11 February 2005, 06:31 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

floyd: ,
Old 11 February 2005, 12:25 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Glad i read this, i have now been put of getting one of these scoops.

Maybe perfect for a track car? where there is plenty of high air flow at speed etc.
Old 11 February 2005, 03:01 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

I can see part of the argument here about heat being drawn out of the mini scoop and therefore past the air filter, but where would this hot air be going under a standard bonnet setup? With nowhere to go surely underbonnet temperatures at standstill would be higher, or am I missing something? The intercooler scoop area is "sealed" from the underbonnet area so no (or very little) heat will escape here.

Isn't giving the heat somewhere to go preferable to it just building up under the bonnet?
Old 12 February 2005, 10:49 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

It does build up Stuart, but pools towards the back of the engine bay. This is why some are fitting fans to the underside of the TMIC's for standing in traffic or before drag runs

So, you need to segregate the air filter from engine heat and try to keep air flow through the TMIC if you have one.

IIRC you have a mini scoop so I can see where you are going with this

F
Old 13 February 2005, 08:34 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular