Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Cambelt tensioner - Have I knackered it??

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2005, 05:45 PM
dr_jones
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cambelt tensioner - Have I knackered it??

Just finished fitting new cambet to my '97 v3 Sti.

Thought the cambelt tensioner was the old style (not having seen a picture at this stage) so I compressed in a vice - pretty slowly took a minute or slow.

Refitted cambelt and tensioner - got veryting lined up but I thought I'd rock the car back and forth to make sure the cambelt was seated properly.

I notice the tensioned moves about 5mm up and down as I do this - being forced by the belt.

Have since seen a piccy of the new vs old style tensioned and I am pretty certain mine is the new type that you are only supposed to reset only with a vertical hydraulic press after all - it's also marked with a blue paint dot....

Have I knackered it?? How can I tell??
Old 06 February 2005, 07:29 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you say you rocked it back and forth, does that mean you were effectively turning the engine the wrong way?? that might explain the movement, they're not designed to run backwards!!
Old 06 February 2005, 07:41 PM
dr_jones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RON
you say you rocked it back and forth, does that mean you were effectively turning the engine the wrong way?? that might explain the movement, they're not designed to run backwards!!
Yeah basically I did - Just seemed to be very free moving - would have expected to see more tension on it..

Wondered if there is a way to check the thing for serviceability or not - what I don't want is to get it all back to gether and then have a cambelt tooth slipping event..
Old 06 February 2005, 10:39 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

if it works vertically then it's the old type anyway (blue dot) and our uk models have a modded type (greendot) and yes it does knacker it if squashed horizontally would pay to replace it anyway.
Old 06 February 2005, 11:27 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Correction, blue dot tensioner is still a phase two tensioner and the later green dot are reusable.

As long as the timing marks are set ok you can rotate the engine the 'wrong' way, this is the best way to get full tension on the belt. Rotating the belt left to right will fully extend the tensioner.

If teh tensioner moves back in at all once the pin is out when turning the belt it is fecked, throw it in the bin and replace it (the engine will sound like it is knocking its **** off anyway if you dont change it)

Rob
Old 16 February 2005, 11:40 PM
dr_jones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tweenierob
If teh tensioner moves back in at all once the pin is out when turning the belt it is fecked, throw it in the bin and replace it (the engine will sound like it is knocking its **** off anyway if you dont change it)

Rob
Cheers - as I thought - have replaced - though got new one from GG in leics - no mark (blue or green) to be seen??!?!