Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Full De Cat - Urgent help required please

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2005, 09:07 PM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full De Cat - Urgent help required please

Spent pretty much all day today trying to fit a Magnex up and down pipe to my UK300 with Blitz Nur Spec rear box and link pipe.
Has anyone done the same set with the same makes?
Basically the Magnex down pipe is about 2 inches longer than the cat downpipe being replaced. This throws the whole exhaust out so none of the brackets are in line. Also, the magnex downpipe has a different flange where it joins to the link pipe.
Have I been given the wrong downpipe, or is Maxnex just not compatable with Blitz?
Also when I replaced the up pipe, there is no hole for the O2 sensor. Is this alright to leave this off?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Steven
Old 12 February 2005, 09:20 PM
69WRX
Scooby Regular

Hi steven.

I have a blitz nur spec R Mid and Back and magnex downpipe.
Fits perfect, Although my car is a 95 sti.
Sounds like you have the wrong downpipe.

Hope thats some help

Andy
Old 13 February 2005, 03:39 PM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

Thanks Andy. That's what I was hoping, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone with a Bug Eye model with the same set up.
Old 13 February 2005, 07:30 PM
XS-Home
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you have a classic downpipe (the classics only had turbo back 3 pieces of zorst & the 01's on 4) So you have a wrong part somewhere
Old 13 February 2005, 11:29 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

I have a classic downpipe on my02 wrx ( tsl sports cat ) and to make it fit to my hks hiper i just removed the link pipe

not sure if this would work for you as the link pipe is longer than 2 inch

xs-home are going to have a far better idea than me
Old 14 February 2005, 08:25 AM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

Sounds about right, as the Blitz is a 3 piece system, and by fitting this downpipe, I had to remove one of the blitz pipes, but was still too big.
I'm going back to the place at lunchtime today to see what they can do. Took my a while to lag the down pipe with exhaust wrap too.
Thanks for your help, but can anyone help if the sensor is alright to be left out?
Old 14 February 2005, 01:53 PM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest, are there any differences between the UK and JAP versions of the Blitz??? Just wondered if I have the wrong Blitz system.
Old 14 February 2005, 02:47 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt leave the lambda/o2 sensor out.
you might find it can be relocated onto the downpipe (same place as classics).
Old 14 February 2005, 06:51 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

The sensor in the up-pipe is EGT, not O2. (Two O2 sensors, in the downpipe and the headers). IIRC, the main point of the EGT sensor is to confirm you aren't overheating the up-pipe cat, which you no longer have. If you leave it out, you probably need to supply the ECU with readings it considers are OK. I think you can do that by pushing a 2.2 kOhm resistor into the plug that would normally connect to the sensor (one leg of the resistor in each socket). However, that resistor value is from memory, so may be wrong. It's bound to have been posted up here somewhere - possibly even by me a year or two ago - worth doing a search to check.
Old 15 February 2005, 08:27 AM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

So this is the reason the CEL light came on last night? So I either put up with the light being on, or do a CEL fix to cure this.
Old 15 February 2005, 02:06 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevenuk300 still
So this is the reason the CEL light came on last night? So I either put up with the light being on, or do a CEL fix to cure this.
I've got a CEL fix which I bought from Scoobysport many moons ago.

Have a TEK3 now so no longer need it, drop me a line if you want it.

Chris
Old 15 February 2005, 08:58 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

If it's the up-pipe EGT issue, I don't believe the scoobysport fix will help - that removes CELs due to cat inefficiency (0420 code), and slow rear 02 sensor response (I forget the number!). The up-pipe sensor throws a different code(s) for EGT out of range. The numbers 0155/0156 ring a bell, but I might very well be wrong. Andy F posted the whole list of codes about a week ago on some thread or another.

Steven - if the CEL came on, I seriously suggest you find out what issue caused it. Do a search, there's a way of arranging plugs under the dash that can flash the CEL light at you in sequence to give you the code - I can't remember the specifics. Compare the code you got to Andy F's list, it'll tell you what the problem is; I or many others can probably help if we know what we're trying to solve.

Two other questions that might help if you can't get the code. What sort of driving were you doing when the light came on? Fully warmed up car, cruising at steady 60-90 for a while, chances are it's cat inefficiency. If you got it as soon as you warmed up whilst pootling around town, EGT would be more likely. Also, did you fit the resistor/capacitor fix to the rear O2 sensor, per my pm of a week or two back?
Old 16 February 2005, 08:25 AM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

The down pipe with cat is still on at the moment. It was only the up pipe that I changed at the weekend. The CEL was off until Monday night, car fully warmed and cruising on the M1 between the range of speeds you mentioned.
I should be able to change the downpipe next week after a slight modification to it.
Old 16 February 2005, 09:49 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

In which case, I'd bet on it being the 0420 cat inefficiency problem. I know with my sports cat downpipe, and standard up-pipe, never got the light. Decat the up-pipe, light came on when cruising.

When you fit the downpipe, fit the resistor/capacitor fix, or get yourself one of the other CEL fixes. You'll need to re-set the ECU to clear the light, after that you should be OK. If it comes back after that, check the code!
Old 17 February 2005, 08:11 AM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a magnex DP from an official SN supplier, had the same issue, the DP was too long, the supplier swore blind i was stupid! so i showed him pics of it and returned it, several weeks later he has not supplied the correct item.

So i got it back and took it to the metal shop and we made it fit.

If it is for a bug eye jap spec, there are pipes to fit.

AS Performance
Hyper SR

To name a few had what i wanted.
Old 17 February 2005, 05:09 PM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

Cheers Hades, I will get the del fixed when I fit the downpipe.

Yes, after many calls from the company I purchased everything from to Magnex and Blitz, it's been confirmed that the earlier Blitz exhaust were for Jap spec only, so the link pipe is used for UK spec but is not the same length. I am having to go the same route of chopping a couple of inches off the magnex downpipe and welding the flange back on to make it fit.
The newer Blitz is a 2 piece kit which would fit no problem.
Bit of a long way around to de cat the car, so lets hope it's worth it.