Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Trouble with shells.

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2005, 05:19 PM
ande
Scooby Regular

Location: Crowbuck Scoobies, Near the rolling sea, where the weather is calm and still! Come on Sing along!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with shells.

Hi,
Last weekend whilst giving my Terzo a bit of stick it decided it was having no more of it. 120 up a near by bypass and all was well. But back on the quiet roads and I slowed for a speed hump, and the engine stalls. So I go to start the engine again and it won't turn over. Finally get it to start and it sounds like a bag of spanners in a tumble dryer.

Any how, engine is now on a bench in too many pieces and I have discovered that the shells inside No.2 Conrod have spun and made mincemeat of the crank and the inside of the conrod. (See pictures below for a good laugh!)

Has anyone else had this problem and do you know what caused it?

I had no warning lights (including oil light), normal running temperature, no excess smoke just lots of speed, then none!

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Also does anyone know the going rate for STI internals for the rebuild?

Thanx.

Ande.
Old 13 February 2005, 07:26 PM
XS-Home
Scooby Regular

I have over 200 pictures from different cars of exactly the same. Though in all fairness you don't know if it had been thrashed prior to you buying it.

You can uprate as much as you like; though you'll find this doesn't mean you'll prevent oil starvation etc from the big end it will help prevent it (akin to you eating brocolli to save you from many life threatening diseases)

Usual issues are, pick up on bearing, contaminants in oil, oil over heating, failed oil pump
Old 13 February 2005, 07:28 PM
XS-Home
Scooby Regular

Though check your heads as you are more than likely to find a bent valve or two; plus with the age the heads could have warped upto 6 thou & well worth re ringing pistons, re cutting valve seats replacing all oil seals, crank etc....
Old 13 February 2005, 07:51 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)

Since there is still a fair amount of bearing shell left, I think you'll be very unlucky to have bent any valves.

High rpm can cause the rod bolts to stretch, which in turn can cause a bearing to "Spin". Don't assume it is specifically down to oil starvation.

You will probably find that after market parts are better, and cheaper than STi parts. A lot will depend on whether you just want a standard re-built engine, or an up rated one, and what your budget is.

Mark.

Last edited by R19KET; 13 February 2005 at 07:58 PM.