Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Car needs upgrading

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2005, 09:55 PM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car needs upgrading

I have currently had a MY01 for over 3 years and it has a couple of personal touches that makes it mine! I have looked around at various options of changing the car but obviously these all cost several £thousands- when I already have a car that I think is great, it's only that I am very used to it now. The only sort of performance upgrade it currently has is a cat-back Magnex system.

The best option therefore may well be to PPP it. And here is the question. Is PPP the best option over TEK3(?) and would both 'sit well' with a 45000 mile car- or are they best done with newer engines? I wouldn't want to sacrifice the reliability or the longevity of the car because if I made the move to PPP I would expect to keep it for many more years.

Also, am I right in thinking that the PPP chip is no longer a 'piggyback' chip and does that mean it is exactly the same PPP that a current WRX would receive, therefore the same 265 bhp & same performance- and is a Tek3 the same sort of thing as a PPP but just not the 'official' Subaru version and therefore cheaper (& unwarrantied- I have 10 months extended warranty left)

Thanks to Brun for some thoughts already on this.

Bexlee
Old 13 February 2005, 10:41 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

depends where you are for who to go to
Old 13 February 2005, 10:46 PM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

Doncaster.
Old 13 February 2005, 11:29 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

The Tek maps are very similar to what the recent PPP's are - re-maps of the existing ECU. The data contained in the PPP re-map will be unique to Prodrive, a TEK3 should be unique data to suit your particular car.

Re the mileage - my 02WRX has over 40k miles on the clock, nearly all racked up with replacement exhaust, up-pipe, TEK 2 etc. No sign of any problems so far, touch wood. Plenty of people have done 100k+ on modded classics, if well looked after and regularly serviced, no reason they shouldn't be reliable at that sort of mileage.
Old 13 February 2005, 11:34 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

If you intend extending the warrenty, then PPP is perhaps the best option. However cost wise, If PPP is £2k and a TEK 3 is £750, then £1250 of carefully chosen mods could release reliable power greater than that of the PPP.