Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

CELtastic on a MY95

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2005, 10:22 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile CELtastic on a MY95

Driving home from work the CEL light came on after about 20 miles but when I stopped in traffic it went off again so I thought nothing of it. When it did the same again on the way to work I thought that something couldn't be right so I did a CEL check:

42 - Idle switch
45 - pressure sensor
23 - MAF sensor circuit
24 - Idle Control System Malfunction
31 - Throttle position sensor

I've noticed that the car can idle quite erratically on occasion (normally when warm) and if i'm stuck in traffic the boost gauge will move up & down between -10 & -11psi. Also the needle on the rev counter ever so slightly moved up & down at the same time. You can see it most on the Lambda though as the lights go all the way up with every fluctuation in the revs/boost.

The MAF sensor is relatively new & obviously still works as otherwise the scoob wouldn't be running very well at all (if at all).

I'm putting my money on the main problem being the Throttle Position Sensor/Idle switch. I've tested all the voltages/resistence on both the TPS & ICV and they're all in accordance with the manual but as I had an engine build approx 6 months ago there were some slight TPS probs after re-fitting the inlet.

The only other things that have happened to the car in the last few months that could have effected anything are:

1) Removed my ScoobyECU chip & soldered the resister back
2) New gearbox fitted. Problems with the sensors keeping the cars reverse lights on so it was disconnected at the loom until I ca ninvestigate further.
3) Fitted an SX FPR
4) Fitted a lot of new boost hoses

Not to sure on the wiring of all of these so I spose it could be possible that one malfunctioning could affect another...I think?

Was either going to just bite the bullet & take it into Subaru & get them to sort it or start firstly with the TPS/IS & see if changing that helps. Either way I need to get these fixed as I want to get an Apexi Power FC fitted to the car ASAP. Obviously I don't want to waste time on buying a MAP sensor as i'd change that with the ECU but does anyone have any suggestions as to what could have caused all of these & where to start with regards to fixing the problem?

Thanks

MAFFA
Old 20 May 2005, 08:04 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they could be old errors etc.. reset the ecu and see which one reoccurs to tell the current problem.

If that many reoccur then i would look at the earthing and add extra to the block and ecu as it might be the problem.. all the sensors use the earth etc..
Old 20 May 2005, 06:23 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

I'll give the ECU reset another go but I don't think it'll help as i've done it not to long ago & they were all still there. I've already done the earthing mod to about 8 different points so I wouldn't think it was that?

I've had the suggestion of cleaning the sensors so i'll give that a go as well. The thing that worries me is the fact the errors aren't all pointing at specific sensors directly...it's the MAF sensor circuit & Idle Control System Malfunction that concern me the most?

MAFFA
Old 21 May 2005, 02:08 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Okay so I went out & did an ECU reset. After running for about 1/4 mile the CEL flashed with a 51. This is okay because I know the Neutral Position Switch has been disconnected because of problems with the reverse lights coming on when the gearbox was changed.

Problem is that when I turned the car off & just connected the black connectors all the same CEL codes came on

Dunno what to do now? Might just have to bite the bullet & go to Subaru £££££££££££

MAFFA
Old 21 May 2005, 08:12 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quite often one fault will bring a whole load out in sympathy. Nathan our tecchie has a good idea of where to go first when this happens. If you can be patient wait till Monday and ring us and talk to Nathan.

Good luck David APi Impreza / APi Engines
www.apiengines.com
Old 21 May 2005, 11:49 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Thanks David. Once again you've helped me out

I'll give Nathan a call on Monday

MAFFA
Old 22 May 2005, 12:20 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Matt - sorry I've not been in contact for a while... Things haven't been going too well for me recently, but it may improve soon.

The TPS is very sensitive to being set up correctly. Check that the idle switch goes off as soon as the throttle is touched. If this is wrong, then it triggers a whole pile of errors. (This is easier with a select monitor...)

Let me know if you need any Scooby parts - I may have a whole car's worth of them by the middle of the week

With any luck, I'll be in Lincoln for that visit in a fortnight. This is the first time I've left the island (while not on business) for close on 6 months. A holiday is long overdue.
Old 22 May 2005, 09:00 AM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

DNB,

What's happening with my ScoobyECU? I'm going down the Apexi route now if possible as I thought you'd vanished. If you've not had a chance to do anything with it then don't worry as i'll just sell it to help pay for the Apexi.

MAFFA
Old 22 May 2005, 01:12 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Not vanished - just working too much...

Your ScoobyECU has a break in a track or a dry joint I've not found I've got a guestimap made for the car, but when it's programmed on to your ScoobyECU board works intemmitantly - definitely caused by a hardware fault. (the map works fine on my 27C1028 chip).
Old 22 May 2005, 06:35 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Is it fixable?
Old 29 May 2005, 12:01 AM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Still no joy on these error codes Oh well i'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and go to a dealer

MAFFA
Old 01 June 2005, 11:17 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Smile

Okay so I went to Subaru & their Select Monitor found absolutely nothing

Whilst I was there though I got them to sort out my Neutral Position Switch. Apparently the Neutral & the Reverse sensors were the wrong way round!!! Whilst they were taking a look they noticed that the earth wiring to the gearbox was broken so they repaired it. Since then (fingers crossed) i've had no CEL's or any idle problems

Maybe it was just an earthing issue??

MAFFA