Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

2.5 goes pop

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2005, 04:06 AM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 goes pop

engine after engine yes my 2.5 has gone pop only done 4000 miles apparently melted a piston and threw a ring and scored a bore it was properly mapped and running 1.15 boost
so now what have to say i am well pissed off after 5 years of scoob ownership it is time to get somehting sensible that wont make me sh*t myself that something wont blow up if i give it a bit of stick
Old 30 May 2005, 09:33 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

who made the engine and mapped it-i presume there must be a warranty?
martin
Old 30 May 2005, 10:26 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

Ooops
Old 30 May 2005, 11:23 AM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

the engine came from the states so cant blame them as i cant blame the guy who fitted it i cant really say about the mapper for obvious reasons 3 engines 5 gearboxes (allthoughthe 6 speed i have now is exeptioable) i think scoob ownership is not what it is all cracked up to be
Old 30 May 2005, 11:28 AM
chrome
Scooby Regular

have to ask mate; do you not think that your driving style might be contributing heavily to these failures?
3 engines 5 gearboxes

That's too many for sheer component failure..

Which US company supplied the long block?
Crawford/Axis?
Would be interested to know....
Old 30 May 2005, 11:31 AM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear your news !

How do you know it wasnt down to the mapping ? Did you get the clearances checked before the engine was put in the car ? Seems like a build issue or mapping issue to me !!

Originally Posted by X SOOOBY
the engine came from the states so cant blame them as i cant blame the guy who fitted it i cant really say about the mapper for obvious reasons 3 engines 5 gearboxes (allthoughthe 6 speed i have now is exeptioable) i think scoob ownership is not what it is all cracked up to be
Old 30 May 2005, 11:38 AM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

my driving style is very hard i have to admit

the gearboxes well they can go in any situation allthough the search for power has caused most of there failures the first engine was vandalised long long story second and third engine top speed runs both times the first and only top speed runs

arn`t these engines supposed to take abuse
Old 30 May 2005, 11:41 AM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fulham71
Sorry to hear your news !

How do you know it wasnt down to the mapping ? Did you get the clearances checked before the engine was put in the car ? Seems like a build issue or mapping issue to me !!
at the moment i am waiting to see what my engineer comes up with as far as sorting my mess out soi am not blaming anyone yet
Old 30 May 2005, 11:43 AM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

what the mapper has said i s that thepiston hot spotted can anyone tell me what this means
Old 30 May 2005, 11:46 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

i drive my car hard but have never taken it above 120mph. I think top speed runs are not good for scoobies, they are best accelerating hard between corners.
Old 30 May 2005, 11:46 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

What cylinder was it ??
Old 30 May 2005, 11:47 AM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Question

still worth naming the US supplier as many are contemplating US sourced large blocks...

maybe worth your while taking the technnical side of the discussion over to 22b.com ?
Old 30 May 2005, 12:22 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)

Unless the engine is a "modified" version, it's pretty unimportant who supplied it.

Mark.
Old 30 May 2005, 12:34 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Mark, not trying to start a witchhunt btw..

he hasnt said if it was 'modified' or not.
even so; still interesting to know why it failed.
Old 30 May 2005, 12:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 Engines and 5 Gearboxes

Nowt wrong with the car, it's YOU who needs some driving lessons ...... you clearly have great difficulty in driving within the cars abilities.

Pete

And NO, no car is designed to take abuse!!
Old 30 May 2005, 12:54 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
3 Engines and 5 Gearboxes

Nowt wrong with the car, it's YOU who needs some driving lessons ...... you clearly have great difficulty in driving within the cars abilities.

Pete

And NO, no car is designed to take abuse!!

here he goes again showing your typing skills again has this bloke got a life you dont know who i am what driving experiance i have and take it from me i have a lot motorsport etc..

read my previous post first engine vandalised

second and third high speed runs and dont tell me you need driving skills for that putting your foot down and driving straight

you are the type of person which stopped me posting on here 2 years ago but i obviously forgot
Old 30 May 2005, 01:05 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

oh right, so you think the build may have been sabotaged?

yikes - how and why could it have been foul play?

..got to admit I avoided a top speed run at SSo recently as I didnt feel it was worth the risk this time around.. not got an oil cooler either at present.
Old 30 May 2005, 01:07 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

you are the type of person which stopped me posting on here 2 years ago but i obviously forgot
AWWWWWW diddums, heres a hankie Don't be such a blubby baby FFS!

To my mind, and in my opinion, anyone who goes through 3 Engines and 5 Gearboxes cannot drive properly ............. I'm simply saying what EVERYONE is thinking!

You claim that Subaru essentially make chocolate engines and gearboxes - that's simply untrue! Most people drive the cars within their design constraints.

May I suggest you buy a 1962 Land Rover if you want rugged long life?

Pete

ps How does an Engine get vandalised to the extent that it blows up???
Old 30 May 2005, 01:30 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

creosote was poured into my petrol tank and it exploded ask anyone who worked at the old scoobysport and pat the mapper they see it
Old 30 May 2005, 02:09 PM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Location: West Sussex-Scoob stripped :( Hello Audi A6 4.2V8 Quattro :)
Question

X scooby,
I also have a 2.5, I believe its the STI lump,(I'm getting a little worried now)
I'm just interested to know what mods you had on your car to assist with your 1.1 of boost?
I've got the ususals like:uprated petrol pump
uprated fuel filter
uprated fuel regulator
BIGGER turbo
550 injectors
Unequal headers/de catted
parallel fuel feed
Front mount intercooler+uprated radiator
All mapped on a GEMS ECU, I am around 1.32 BAR at the moment.

I'm just curious as there a couple of different lumps out there, did you get the USA STI lump. Keep us updated, as I would be like you, if it all goes bang again the car is getting stripped and I would go to the dark side and never buy a scoob again.
Sorry to hear your bad news, and good luck which ever route you take

Cheers Kevin.
Old 30 May 2005, 04:08 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

thanks kevin symathy rather than p*ss taking my spec is very similar to yours the only difference being i have a my00 it is tecked 3 and the engine was sourced from the states

i will be getting a better explanation of the reason it popped tommorrow

oh my explanation of abused is 7000 rpm regulaly what road car is the most thrashed on the road scoobs thus that makes them all abused not being used as a to b transport as all cars are supposed to be
Old 30 May 2005, 05:00 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

Talking

what the mapper has said i s that thepiston hot spotted can anyone tell me what this means
when a engine is new the rings wont be the same shape as bore

this is why you have to run a engine in (sometime a thiner oil is used to do this)

so if you nail a new engine from day one the part of the ring which has the most friction with the bore will heat up first and faster

and if it gets too hot bye bye ring.

another issue for you to think about
-as you may or may not know the is a poor oil supply to one of the cylinders so it tends to get a bit hot. to stop this things like frontmounted intercooler oil cooler or running the engine rich will all help to reduce the chance of a piston ring melting.
if you have a apexi ecu (like me ) then the individual cylinder trim can be altered to increase the fuel to the hotter cylinder and cool it down. with out bad fuel economy effects

i use RC developments to map my car as i think clive is about the best mapper out there. andy f also has a good rep but i havnt used him.

as for the other posts i think scoobys are designed to take abuse, otherwise what would be the point in owning one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by STI Craig; 30 May 2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 30 May 2005, 05:04 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

4got to say i did 162 the other day at about 7300 rpm and my engine held that for a few mins no probs

keep us updated on how you get on !!!!

Last edited by STI Craig; 30 May 2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old 30 May 2005, 05:27 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

second and third [engine failures after] high speed runs and dont tell me you need driving skills for that putting your foot down and driving straight
i have a 2.5 with a fair bit of modifications and after i went for a blast of high speed driving the knock link was showing a lot more than it has done
After how many engines will you realise that scoobs are not best suited to high speed work?
Old 30 May 2005, 05:36 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jiggerypokery
After how many engines will you realise that scoobs are not best suited to high speed work?
depending on how you set the car up.
they go pop due to too much heat

front mounted intercooler
uprated oil cooler
uprated rad
well set up ecu (apexi power fc very good option for the money) or go Motec if you have £££££££)
very good oil that wont breakdown under high temp (fully syn rock oil 10-40 no other)

then your engine should not go pop if its new,
well not unless you where at somthe silly bhp which i dont think you where at 1.1 bar

Last edited by STI Craig; 30 May 2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old 30 May 2005, 05:50 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I don't actually think it's your driving style (apologies about the engine btw), HOWEVER, there is something amiss when you have the amount of failures you've had.

It would seem to the logical mind that it the problem splits into 2- engine & gearbox.

Gearbox is easier to guess (IMHO) - big power that the standard gearbox couldn't handle. Hence the the big lumps of swarf!!

Engine - it would lead me to assume that there is a setup problem or a faulty component somewhere that is causing the same issue (fatality). Of course, I assuming that all the engines fell foul of the same symptoms.

Whilst I appreciate your distaste with Scoob (probably ALL cars too!!), don't hand in the keys just yet. They ARE good fun.

You aren't the first who had this type of problem, and I can bet as long as there's a hole in my a$$, you won't be the last.

When you DO find out the problems, please post them up, so others can benefit and learn from your "experiences"

All the best sorting it out

Dan
Old 30 May 2005, 05:59 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Do yourself a favour and do as Chrome suggests, go over to 22b.com and post on there for some sensible input and help. My 2.5 has clocked 17K since API built it and Andy Forrest mapped it. It's not missed a beat in all that time.
Old 30 May 2005, 06:05 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
I don't actually think it's your driving style (apologies about the engine btw), HOWEVER, there is something amiss when you have the amount of failures you've had.

It would seem to the logical mind that it the problem splits into 2- engine & gearbox.

Gearbox is easier to guess (IMHO) - big power that the standard gearbox couldn't handle. Hence the the big lumps of swarf!!

Engine - it would lead me to assume that there is a setup problem or a faulty component somewhere that is causing the same issue (fatality). Of course, I assuming that all the engines fell foul of the same symptoms.

Whilst I appreciate your distaste with Scoob (probably ALL cars too!!), don't hand in the keys just yet. They ARE good fun.

You aren't the first who had this type of problem, and I can bet as long as there's a hole in my a$$, you won't be the last.

When you DO find out the problems, please post them up, so others can benefit and learn from your "experiences"

All the best sorting it out

Dan
well said dude

he cant give up yet
i had some silly problems with mine which cost me loads, came so close to selling it
but ive hung in there my car is due to be remapped wednesday so im hoping all will go well this time. 350bhp fingers crossed
Old 30 May 2005, 06:18 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of your trouble.

There is no reason to not expect to be able to drive a car very hard indeed and have the engine live, so I don't think you are wrong in this expectation. With the usual caveats that it is warmed up and cooled down properly, and not over-revved. And from the setup point of view that the temperatures, fuelling and detonation are under control. Sometimes just bad luck happens, but there are some cars that seem plagued by engine failures. Aside from MAF failures, on some engines a few contributors have been dodgy injectors, weak fuel pumps, faulty regulator, one that kept popping was a faulty knock sensor.

Building a fast car that can take abuse has been my goal all along. I give it to T-uk to drive who can drive it harder than most people I know are safely capable of. I then check that everything is OK in these conditions still with a margin for safety.

My failures have been greed related in terms of high outputs from too small turbos and factory engines as well as being driven hard. But I don't blame the driving style, it is the hardware that needs to be up to anything the driver can throw at it. If it isn't, I feel you are right to be disappointed.

I changed to synthetic on my latest engine after 100-200 miles, and I gave it full boost and 6000 RPM from 15 miles, so I am not sure run in procedure is an issue on all EJ257s.

Many thousands of miles later it is quiet, performing as well or better than many a much posher engine, and only uses a little oil when it is driven very hard.

Last edited by john banks; 30 May 2005 at 06:27 PM.
Old 30 May 2005, 06:20 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

shocking to hear about the creosote damage!
Sounds like you have had some terrible bad luck.

As for high speed failure..

oil temps too high on the 2.5? - I know most of the 2.33+ engines on 22b have some sort of oil cooler setup..

fuel pump problems/reg pressure issues causing leanness leading to piston melt?

Quick Reply: 2.5 goes pop