Any Problems Fitting Decats ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2005, 09:41 PM
g01dmember
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Problems Fitting Decats ?

Evening all....

I`ve been considering decatting my 2001 Bug Eye WRX, and just wondered what the real benefits are....

The only reason i ask is cause my mate who works at Montys Subaru has told me about quite a few cars they have had in with over heating and damaging the engine after the decats have been fitted then hard driving...

As anyone else heard this or experienced it ?

Thanks

Simon...
Old 13 August 2005, 10:32 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You MUST either remap the standard ECU or fit a replacement; boost spikes can cause monster det otherwise.

Simon
Old 13 August 2005, 10:42 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Simon

I'm not sure if the conservative map in the Bugeye can cause a lot of problems with the bugeye decat with the TD04 turbo.

A few more BHP and earlier spool-up maybe.... I doubt if the temps would rise enough to melt the cat in the up pipe if left either.

Major problem is the ECU throwing a P0420 CEL (inneficient CAT) as the CAT isn't there

De-catting the bugeye STi is a different matter !!! this can cause more problems as the turbo is bigger and the intercooler is a lot more efficient leading to boost control problems AFAIK

Midlife.....
Old 13 August 2005, 11:06 PM
japimpal
Scooby Newbie

Hi guys sorry to interrupt but am new user and haven`t figured out how to start a new post or is it thread very sorry? but if anyone can help me with my problem i would be most grateful have just recently bought a 1995 jap import wrx with the td05 turbocharger fitted so i am assuming this is the big one, and not long had it when it got a bit hot in traffic t`other day and decided to blow its coolant out of the expansion bottle, now have spoken to a few so-called mechanics and they point to the head gaskets or even a cracked block, can anyone confirm my misfortune or could it be something else also when i try to run engine with fresh water it gets hot pretty quickly and pressurises the hoses and expansion tank. again my apologies for using your post but i am deperate! andnot sure what to do with my scooby, thanks al
Old 13 August 2005, 11:09 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Simon

I'm not sure if the conservative map in the Bugeye can cause a lot of problems with the bugeye decat with the TD04 turbo.

A few more BHP and earlier spool-up maybe.... I doubt if the temps would rise enough to melt the cat in the up pipe if left either.

Major problem is the ECU throwing a P0420 CEL (inneficient CAT) as the CAT isn't there

De-catting the bugeye STi is a different matter !!! this can cause more problems as the turbo is bigger and the intercooler is a lot more efficient leading to boost control problems AFAIK

Midlife.....
I will defer to Midlife's greater knowledge; I'm more of a Classic WRX enthusiast ans that's where my experience lies...

Simon
Old 13 August 2005, 11:16 PM
burtysbugeye
Scooby Regular

Default Decat

Hi there just to say i have a 2001 bugeye and i have replaced the downpipe and centre pipe which takes both cats off i did this myself,abit awkward but saves alot of money(Yes tight bugger) Ive had these fitted for about 6 month now without a remap and i have had no probs whatsoever, you can here the turbo spooling up alot sooner and it sounds nicer to but i think having a remap would make more diffrence which i shall be getting done soon
And yes i do drive my car hard infact very hard i just cannot resist it
Old 14 August 2005, 12:37 PM
VWscooby
Scooby Regular

I know this is about bug-eyes but how are de-cats on classics? My heatshield is rattling like a git (surprise surprise!) and I was going to replace it with a HKS de-cat that I have had lying around for ages. Engine has done 97k, can you see any probs? (94 JDM WRX)

Did do a search but couldn't find a straight answer on any other thread!!
Old 14 August 2005, 04:05 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

I have a full decat on my bug eye sti for about 3 weeks now, have not had any problems with errors or boost that i am aware of, but i am in for a HKS fcon on tuesday to make sure everything is smooth so will update then. At present though the car feels a great deal more responsive and sound like a demon.
Old 14 August 2005, 04:54 PM
Edmondo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VWscooby
I know this is about bug-eyes but how are de-cats on classics? My heatshield is rattling like a git (surprise surprise!) and I was going to replace it with a HKS de-cat that I have had lying around for ages. Engine has done 97k, can you see any probs? (94 JDM WRX)

Did do a search but couldn't find a straight answer on any other thread!!
hiya mate

Had afterburner de-cat fitted to my classic ( MY99 - 100000 + Miles )........No probs to report at the mo......Done about 1500 miles with it on
Old 14 August 2005, 06:02 PM
fallwood
Scooby Regular

Had my 01 bugeye fully decatted nearly a year ago, had to do the cel fix resistor mod as it kept throwiing the cel on (cat deficiency error) no problems at all since I did the fix but I did invest in an electronic boost controller to keep the boost nice and constant (18 psi) incase of spikes.

Last edited by fallwood; 14 August 2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 14 August 2005, 06:52 PM
VWscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edmondo
hiya mate

Had afterburner de-cat fitted to my classic ( MY99 - 100000 + Miles )........No probs to report at the mo......Done about 1500 miles with it on
Cheers mate, it will be going in to have this fitted this week.

Although after having a tyre blowout and power-steering leak the car has cost me about a grand this week!!!!