Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

hks clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2005, 02:40 PM
ibrahimyahia
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hks clutch problem

i have just had a GDmax hks clutch fitted (WR1) and a new bearing, but when i press the clutch down it makes a bad noise (no noise whilst driving) like the bearing has gone i am assured that this is normal as to the nature of the clutch, i have been told the noise will gradually go away while bedding in
has anyone got some advice, help
Old 09 October 2005, 03:27 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Was the condition of the flywheel spigot bearing checked while the clutch was off ?

They seem to get destroyed fairly quicly on Subaru engines.

I make a habit of replacing it on every clutch change i do. - At £5 to replace, it's something that's worth doing IMO
Old 09 October 2005, 05:00 PM
ibrahimyahia
Scooby Regular

I dont know the condition of the spigot bearing, but assumed that this would be changed when the new flywheel went in. but i will check with the fitters.
thanks for the help
Old 11 October 2005, 10:28 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)

If it's a twin plate clutch, they are very noisy when you put the clutch down. It's the plates rattling, and just part of the design I'm afraid.

Mark/Lateral
Old 11 October 2005, 06:11 PM
ibrahimyahia
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

thanks for the reply!
spigot bearing and thrust bearings are brand new, and the fitters also told me that this was just the nature of the twin plate design.
again thank U
Old 11 October 2005, 07:15 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ibrahimyahia
i have just had a GDmax hks clutch fitted (WR1) and a new bearing, but when i press the clutch down it makes a bad noise (no noise whilst driving) like the bearing has gone i am assured that this is normal as to the nature of the clutch, i have been told the noise will gradually go away while bedding in
has anyone got some advice, help
How long did your OEM clutch last?

Cheers

Anders
Old 13 October 2005, 09:10 AM
ibrahimyahia
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anders_WR1
How long did your OEM clutch last?

Cheers

Anders
the original clutch lasted about 1 yr of hard driving, it only gave up after a nice quiet trip around silverstone at trax HA HA, cant complain tho.
BUDA
Old 15 October 2005, 10:06 AM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ibrahimyahia
the original clutch lasted about 1 yr of hard driving, it only gave up after a nice quiet trip around silverstone at trax HA HA, cant complain tho.
BUDA
I thought my clutch was starting to go in April, but it's still going strong. The hardest thing its ever done was help pull my mates Evo 6 out of a ditch. It took three four wheel drive cars totaling 900bhp to pull him out!
Old 03 November 2005, 02:05 PM
Way
Scooby Newbie

I've had my HKS twin-plate for aprrox 6 weeks now .. and i'm REALLY not happy ...

infact .. i'm putting in a stock clutch next week.

Every since i got the new clutch i'ts been causing problems.

MY05 STi - stock clutch lasted 6months - hard driving.

HKS slips alot , VERY inconsistent , takes hard , doesn't take .. pedal doesn't come back, the clutch slipped so much that it allmost took right at the top .. then it was adjusted by the installed and now the pedal sticks to the bottom.

it shudders , slips .. theres a loooong list.

i think the shudder is causes is making my BOV touch the bonnet , since it's scratchign off the paint ( Turbosmart BOV )

I drive traffic with the car ... really sucks I was told it's similar to a stock clutch .. riiiiiight ..
Old 03 November 2005, 02:21 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

I've had my HKS twin-plate for aprrox 6 weeks now .. and i'm REALLY not happy ...

infact .. i'm putting in a stock clutch next week.

Every since i got the new clutch i'ts been causing problems.

MY05 STi - stock clutch lasted 6months - hard driving.

HKS slips alot , VERY inconsistent , takes hard , doesn't take .. pedal doesn't come back, the clutch slipped so much that it allmost took right at the top .. then it was adjusted by the installed and now the pedal sticks to the bottom.

it shudders , slips .. theres a loooong list.

i think the shudder is causes is making my BOV touch the bonnet , since it's scratchign off the paint ( Turbosmart BOV )

I drive traffic with the car ... really sucks I was told it's similar to a stock clutch .. riiiiiight ..
In English????

Sounds like a poor install, and not knowing what you/the installers are on about.

If your clutch is making the dump valve touch the bonnet, you have a serious problem!!

However, i suspect your dump valve is scratching the bonnet because it has been installed incorrectly.
Old 04 November 2005, 10:12 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)

Twin plate clutches have to be installed in a certain way. They are marked up to show the rotation of each part, but if they aren't fitted in the correct order, I dread to think how they'd work.

I agree with Steven, I would check the free play first, and if it's ok, would suggest you pull the box, and check the install.

Mark.
Old 04 November 2005, 11:54 AM
Way
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by R19KET
Twin plate clutches have to be installed in a certain way. They are marked up to show the rotation of each part, but if they aren't fitted in the correct order, I dread to think how they'd work.

I agree with Steven, I would check the free play first, and if it's ok, would suggest you pull the box, and check the install.

Mark.
Thanks ... as for the BOV being installed incorrectly .. not sure how that's possible ... and , the rubbing on the bonnet started a few days after the did the clutch. BOV was doing fine for 3 months before that.

Is it possible that an engine mounting could be loose ? or the engine back in skew? that could possibly explain why my 5th gear started grinding too , and seems to be fine now.
Old 04 November 2005, 02:05 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Its possible because, whoever did you clutch, will have removed your intercooler and dump valve to gain access to the gearbox bolts etc, and when refitting, they have refitted it incorrectly, thus causing it to hit the bonnet.

Trust me, your clutch is not causing the BOV to hit the bonnet, its purely the installation of the BOV thats causing it.
Old 08 November 2005, 09:12 AM
Way
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by P20SPD
Its possible because, whoever did you clutch, will have removed your intercooler and dump valve to gain access to the gearbox bolts etc, and when refitting, they have refitted it incorrectly, thus causing it to hit the bonnet.

Trust me, your clutch is not causing the BOV to hit the bonnet, its purely the installation of the BOV thats causing it.
Thanks for the reply ... sucks now that the bov / bonnet is damaged

I also noticed a friction mark on my spec c strut at the back of the intercooler .. seems like stuff is moving around ALOT in there , engine mount prolly loose / broken / etc ://
Old 08 November 2005, 07:06 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Yeaks!!!! a loose engine. No wonder the clutch is complaining
Old 08 November 2005, 10:48 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Some places take the engine out to do the clutch, so you might check your engine mounts.