Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2005, 09:12 PM
ScoobyLeon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Overheating?

After some advice on this one, seems really strange..

Recently had 90K service, not that this should be related.

About a week ago I was at a junction and heard trickling water, thought nothing of it apart from a bit strange..

then each night since when ive pulled up to my drive ive noticed fans are on...

today I was waiting at the station for someone and looked down, the heat was nearly on MAX! so turned car off.. When i started back up still really high and set off the air cooled the engine down almost straight away.

So i left it to all cool down and checked the coolant level, put some water in but not much at all, i started the car on drive and interior fans were only putting cold into the car even tho set to hot, the engine temp rose to mid way and fans on engine kicked in, couldnt get any warm out of vents, normally burns hands!

reved the car to just under 2k and held to see if the temp rose, turned fans back on and hey presto HOT air.. not been out in it again yet but what could be wrong?

sorry for the essay!

Leon
Old 09 October 2005, 10:03 PM
4eX
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm, alot of the time if the heater dosn't get warm on tick over even when the engine is warn can reveal a Head Gasket problem at the worst case. Could also be the Thermostat not opening properly allowing a small amount of water across when you rev it [Would check that 1st]. Was the coolant changed on the service ?, if so could possibly be an air lock in the cooling system which would cause the Over heating as well as the cooler problem.

Hope this info helps.
Old 09 October 2005, 10:10 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a simple air lock to me.......
Old 10 October 2005, 07:18 AM
Scooby Regular

IMHO:
Check stat is working, small job, and might as well fit a new one (about £15) and catch the old cooant to put it back in.
Refill the engine, cold and via the header tank very slowly. Squeeze repeatedly the rad top hose to make the fluid 'gulp' into the rad/block.
With about 4 litres slowly in the engine, start it with the header tank pressure cap still off. Top-up the header, squeezing the pipe as before to get the fluid in. Have the heater set to full 'hot'.
Engine will come up to temp in about 5 mins. All pipes should be very hot, and the heater roasting the interior like mad. Check rad bottom hose is stinking hot too.
With this done and the header full replace the cap and leave the engine ticking over with the occational blip.
Take it for a 'good drive' and on the road, engine running open bonnet and check where the fluid is in the tube by the battery. Top up here to bring to marked 'max' level.
The killer bit:
Are there ANY bubbles in the tube by the battery? If not thrash the car for a mile or so and check again. If no bubbles your head gaskets are probably ok.
The car should now have cooked you inside, the temp gauage correct and the fans cutting in/out as normal.
Swithch off the hot engine and look immediatly at the filler tube again. Level ok/no bubbles?

Good luck. Above gained from real world experience, only I had bubbles...

Graham.
Old 10 October 2005, 07:42 AM
4eX
Scooby Regular

You should work for Haynes IMHO...................
Old 10 October 2005, 12:48 PM
Scooby Regular

No, Haynes should do a real manual for these bloody cars!

Graham.
Old 10 October 2005, 02:26 PM
ScoobyLeon
Scooby Regular

Unhappy fair bit to try there!

only driven about 2 miles today as had interview so nothing to report yet.....

i will take it for a spin in a min and see what happens, it was serviced and had coolant changed etc.. so im hoping that along with water noises means its just an air lock, so are we saying if i drive it and its warm i then check the bottle and there are bubbles im nackered! not good, just had gearbox replaced few months back cant afford head gasket! :-(

il update you later with what happens, i might see if garage can drain it all if problem doesnt go away...

cheers

Leon
Old 10 October 2005, 10:00 PM
Scooby Regular

Secret is to fill it s l o w l y, most garages don't do slowly.

In very severe head gasket cases the coolant will dump all itself out of the level tube by the battery and down the passenger's side of the car. That = trouble.
Let us know your findings.
Graham.
Old 10 October 2005, 10:25 PM
ScoobyLeon
Scooby Regular

Post update...

Well i let it warm up, went for a drive, gave it some stick, corners to to move it all about! lol .. got back and the temp was still at normal, obv the fans came in when sitting on the drive..

when i opened bonnet there was a bit of water around where you fill it up, this could be because it was to full and the driving made it overflow? anyway went to work and when i returned to the car i noticed a small damp patch under the car to the left as you look at the front. No damp under bonnet anywhere, maybe again is this because its to full, subaru said today its self draining or something.... however one thing i noticed was that there was a white resedue on the bottom of the pipe where you fill it up, as if water had leaked and reacted with the rubber/paintwork..

i wonder if there is a leak somewhere and the reason it overheated yesterday was because it was low, now ive filled it up again its ok.. for now. Im having some new rear discs fitted this week so il be able to have a good look round when its up on ramps.
Old 11 October 2005, 02:16 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyLeon
Well i let it warm up, went for a drive, gave it some stick, corners to to move it all about! lol .. got back and the temp was still at normal, obv the fans came in when sitting on the drive..

when i opened bonnet there was a bit of water around where you fill it up, this could be because it was to full and the driving made it overflow? anyway went to work and when i returned to the car i noticed a small damp patch under the car to the left as you look at the front. No damp under bonnet anywhere, maybe again is this because its to full, subaru said today its self draining or something.... however one thing i noticed was that there was a white resedue on the bottom of the pipe where you fill it up, as if water had leaked and reacted with the rubber/paintwork..

i wonder if there is a leak somewhere and the reason it overheated yesterday was because it was low, now ive filled it up again its ok.. for now. Im having some new rear discs fitted this week so il be able to have a good look round when its up on ramps.
I would certainly get it checked for a head gasket leak.

The residue may be emulsifacation, ie the oil and water mixing, does it have
a mayonaize sort of texture?

Rob
Old 12 October 2005, 06:15 PM
Scooby Regular

The white residue can be dried anti freeze, and it sticks like mad.

Did you look carefully for bubbles?

A decent garage can check the coolant to see if there are traces of exhaust fumes in there, and if there is.........gaskets is your next thought.

The ace place to go for a sound repair is David at www.apiengines.com who actually did mine, based in Leamington Spa so not too far.

If you go there say '911' sent you!

Graham.
Old 12 October 2005, 08:23 PM
4eX
Scooby Regular

I 2nd that, even if your not sure and want an Honest answer to your Dilema go speek to David and the team at API.
Old 12 October 2005, 08:33 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations 911 & 4eX much appreciated.

Call me if I can help Scoobyleon.

David APi Engines / APi lmpreza
www.apiengines.com
Old 12 October 2005, 10:32 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

initial problem was caused by low coolant level and an airlock. Once the coolant level drops below the top rad hose the engine has trouble gettng coolant to circulate properly. It's possibly (probably) down to head gasket failure.
Old 14 October 2005, 05:10 PM
ScoobyLeon
Scooby Regular

Post hope not!

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
initial problem was caused by low coolant level and an airlock. Once the coolant level drops below the top rad hose the engine has trouble gettng coolant to circulate properly. It's possibly (probably) down to head gasket failure.
could the air lock not have been due to the car just having the 90K service at Castle Performance? it seems coincidental that id just had a major service where everything was drained etc.. no problems before it went in...

keeping an eye on it at the moment but it had best not be a head gasket! spent way to much on the car, id have to sell if it came to that any other checks i can do to see if it is head gasket?

Leon

Just adding.. will do 911's haynes manual checks! later and look out for bubbles etc fingures crossed!

Last edited by ScoobyLeon; 14 October 2005 at 05:15 PM.
Old 14 October 2005, 05:35 PM
Scooby Regular

Good man, we hope there are no bubbles as the heads are a big $$$ job.
Keep us posted. We have all been there.
Mr Haynes
Old 14 October 2005, 05:38 PM
ScoobyLeon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb Leak

Just been out to look as ive driven 10miles on way back from work..

There is 100% a leak.. to the left side of the radiator there is water, its damp right at the top behind the headlight .. cant make out where its coming from tho. also damp at bottom of radiator (would explain damp under car other day)

Have taken photos dont know how to put them on here tho!

Leon
Old 14 October 2005, 11:19 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Leon you have pm
Old 02 November 2005, 09:44 AM
ScoobyLeon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb Problem still here!

when i had my brakes fitted they had a look at the leak..

they could not find a leak! left car running for ages. However the bottom of the radiator is very rusty due to antifreeze leak. Its not overheated again since but i have been putting a lot of water in, like 3 pints at a time.

However the problem is getting worse, last couple of times ive given a bit of stick and pulled up there has been some steam come out of the bonnet! its been raining recently a lot so this could be water on the engine as car is left on drive, but im thinking radiator? when u pop the bonnet tho you cant see any steam or evidence of where it came from.

if it is radiator any ideas of decent aftermarket radiators, subaru want £200 and my old radiator, are they easy to fit?

cheers

Leon
Old 02 November 2005, 10:43 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leon, A NEW rad from us is £140.00 exchange, we've sold heaps of them. The problem you have have is a ' known fault '. The leak is to the front of the rad on the end tank where the top hose flows into. Over a period of time the hot water ' heat treats' the plastic and it splits.

A small split can be seen running downwards from the upper part of the tank and there will be coolant residue showing.

Nothing for it; a new rad and quickly before more damage is done.
We can one out to you today for delivery tomorrow if you wish. Call me if I can help

Good Luck! David, APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com

PS we are delivering an engine to Chevron Motorsport in Stafford this very morning if you ring quickly we can sort you without any carriage costs.
Old 02 November 2005, 09:02 PM
ScoobyLeon
Scooby Regular

Post just missed it!

Dam only just checked this as was at work! how much is delivery or are you delivering again here in the next week or so! You say exchange so i presume id have to post the old one back when its changed over?

Il check in the light for what you describe anyway and get back to you. Out of interest are all the radiators the same for the classic or are there different sizes throughout the years. Reason i ask is ive seen one with O.E.NUMBER 45111 AA260 going very cheap!

cheers

Leon
Old 08 November 2005, 08:11 PM
ScoobyLeon
Scooby Regular

Post back yet again!

well ive just spent over an hour in the dark and rain as it broke down .. well overheated and had to stop. Thought it was water gone again (have got radiator on way!) BUT it isnt water as after putting more in it was still overheating. I knew there was a problem when i set off as the engine temp rose but the Fans were freezing in the car when on hot.

goto be thermostat? i eventually got it limping home bonnet open a bit, temp going up and down all over the place, when it started to rise if u gave it some more revs it seemed to kick the fans in and burning air coming though.

cant believe they are like £5 from halfords! such a small thing could blow the engine up!

you can apparantly take it out all together? just for a day or so till i get one from subaru as halfords dont have one. where abouts is it? in a pipe i believe? anyone got any pictures?
Old 08 November 2005, 08:50 PM
Scooby Regular

You are living dangerously!

The stat change is easy:

Drain the coolant (stop **** below the carbon canister)
Follow the bottom hose from the base of the rad to the engine block. The stat is right in the housing on the block. Remove hose engine end.
Remove the housing. One of the bolts is nearly hidden and is a SOD. Remove and the stat is right there. Note the position of the small (about 5mm diameter) hole. Pull it out. If you like, reverse everything and fill the system s l o w l y as I've said before.
I used a Subaru part for mine, cost £3 more. The old one was perfect.
To check stat, boil a sauspan of water and drop the stat in. It should fully open within about 30 to 60 seconds. If it does, remove and quench in very cold water and it should close pdq. If it does not, a new one is needed.
When fitting the new stat (you may as well put a new one in) make sure the small hole is in the right place, and the jobs done.

Let us know if all is well.
Graham
Old 09 November 2005, 05:41 PM
ScoobyLeon
Scooby Regular

Post update..

Cheers i will have to do it saturday as its dark every time i get home from work! (not using the car at mo) Got a new Stat and it will be here tommorow 1030am.

Just tested the car tonight, on subaru advice left the top off and turned on engine, allowed to get to working temp and kept topping up slowly. Then reved car, water came out of the top as expected but it was full of bubbles throthy. This eventually calmed down and now when u rev it the water comes over the top but its fairly clear water, when you look at the top the water is covered in slight white throth still.

Subaru saying it may be head gasket however much you held the revs / reved it it would not go any hotter than normal working temp. So I drove around the estate a few times giving it a bit of stick now and then.. still normal temp, heaters working etc, wierd, so its as if its working again but i dare'nt risk using it.

Leon !
Old 09 November 2005, 07:57 PM
Scooby Regular

Only just spotted you sre in Staffs.
Why don't you call David at www.apiengines.com and take the car down to him in Leamington Spa to allow him to look it over?

Easy cruise down the M6 M40 etc.
Graham.
Old 09 November 2005, 08:05 PM
ScoobyLeon
Scooby Regular

Post API

Yeah they supplied me with a Gearbox recently! which (touch wood!) is ok

want a new one fed up if it going wrong! seen a nice 03wrx with ppp for 11k lol !

but i know id get nothing for mine, prob 6k ive spent so much recently, g/box ,brakes,tyres,full service etc etc! now radiator/stat to be fitted.. nightmare!
Old 09 November 2005, 10:16 PM
Scooby Regular

You are a fully paid-up member...just like me and the others!