Gearbox help please

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2005, 12:53 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gearbox help please - might have been sold a duff gearbox

Without Prejudice
In MY galant 24v manual not a scoob but would like it left here if possible as it is purely gearbox and needs some tech help

OK
The newer gearbox has been fitted the mechanic recons it has done mre that the claimed 42k by the grime, colour of the alloy and the drainplugs are chewed up. This mechanic has worked on my cars for 5 years and i trust his judgement and honesty without quewstion. The chap who owns the garage is a decent chap and although not a drinking buddie is a honest as the day is long. They work on a lot of Jap cars and especially Subarus and Mitsi's so know that they are doing

The gearbox oil was changed for the fully synthetic as per the maunal.

Mechanic said it graunches a bit going into 5th but otherwise ok.

He takes me for a test drive, gentle drive over 6 miles or so durting this it jumps out of third several times in a row, it is intermittent and diffucult to make it do it by accellerating and braking then accelleratring again.

It warms up and now jumps out of 3rd and 5th intermittiently + graunches going into 5th unless you double declutch(sp?)

I have spoken with the salvage yard (Westbridge in Oldham) and they tell me they drove the car to their yard and it is fine nothing wrong with it. and do not want to refund as it is OK.

Could it be the oil, is the fully synthetic the right one?
is it the cabling/gear linkages?
Is it another worn out box
Anyone got any experiences of Westbridge in Oldham? I know nothing about them other than it took them several days longer than expected to get the car and remove the box and a few excuses like we sacked the mechanic as it was taking too long and it is a difficult job, etc. They also tried to blame the garage fitting the gearbox stating it did not take him long to fit does he know what he is doing, it took him 4-5 hours just to fit and he is meticulous in his work

I do not want to fall out with the salvage yard over this but i need some advice before i go in guns blazing.

Is it another duff box?

I have paid by credit card does this give me the right to get my money back
for faulty goods?

Last edited by The Zohan; 14 October 2005 at 10:58 AM.
Old 13 October 2005, 09:29 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
They also tried to blame the garage fitting the gearbox stating it did not take him long to fit does he know what he is doing, it took him 4-5 hours just to fit and he is meticulous in his work
It was Elvis right ? There aren't many people who I trust with my cars, but he's one of them. Pretty sure it's nothing he's done wrong.
Old 13 October 2005, 11:24 AM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a duff box mate.

Crunching going into gear is probably synchros worn out.

Dropping out gear could be selector fork bushes.

the gearbox is "not fit for the purpose it was sold for" you are entitled to a refund.

Conrad
Old 14 October 2005, 10:56 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thaks chaps, pretty much what Elvis said to me and what i thought.

Luckily i paid by credit card so i should be able to get the money back. I will get my old gearbox rebuilt and then swapped over and return the duff new(er) box to Westwood.

What a PITA!