Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

whining

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2005, 08:45 PM
blackdown
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whining

I own a 93 wrx full decat system and hks induction kit.

Have a problem with a whining noise when changing up and down gears, when stationary ticks over lovely, could it be clutch/gearbox problems.

Also have a ticking noise coming from air con pump(i think !!)when bonnet is opened its the motor on the front of the engine to the right with a cover on it covering a belt (expert mechanic..............not)

Any ideas or suggestions ??

Hopefully covered under warranty.
Old 15 October 2005, 10:13 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

do u get the whine when depressing the clutch if stationary or is it only when the car is moving. if its when stationary it sounds like clutch release bearing.
ken
Old 16 October 2005, 03:22 AM
blackdown
Scooby Newbie

when stationary the whine dissapears when the clutch is pressed down
Old 16 October 2005, 12:15 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

when u press the clutch down it moves the clutch plate off the flywheel so stops the drive to the pinion gear in the gearbox. if it is quiet in this position then I would guess its a bearing in the gearbox possibly the bearing on the pinion gear. I would sugest u give API a ring they are more knowledgable than me.
ken
Old 16 October 2005, 06:15 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

or just the clutch release bearing? when pedal depressed release bearing contacts clutch cover forks/springs and stops spinning so could just be that?
Old 17 October 2005, 12:01 AM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

rigga I disagree the release bearing would only rotate when pressing the clutch pedal down. It is not in contact with anything till then. still thing pinion bearing or another bearing in the gearbox.
ken
Old 18 October 2005, 11:14 PM
SNAP
Scooby Regular

Cool

Blackdown,

The ticking sound you mention could well be the Hydraulic Belt Tensioner (just below the Aircon motor - under the plastic cambelt covers). It drove me nuts till I found out - I had all the usual advise "big ends gone - pistons melted - etc, Mate!). Main dealer can check it out for you - but if this be the cause, then cambelts come off - replace then? Up to you.

Clutch bearings, etc - too late at night, plus beers. I am sure the guys are right!

Cheers
Old 20 October 2005, 12:53 PM
blackdown
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by SNAP
Blackdown,

The ticking sound you mention could well be the Hydraulic Belt Tensioner (just below the Aircon motor - under the plastic cambelt covers). It drove me nuts till I found out - I had all the usual advise "big ends gone - pistons melted - etc, Mate!). Main dealer can check it out for you - but if this be the cause, then cambelts come off - replace then? Up to you.

Clutch bearings, etc - too late at night, plus beers. I am sure the guys are right!

Cheers
Snap, the sound is coming from exsactly where you are saying, both clutch and tensioner are covered by warranty and they said will throw in new cambelts.
HOOOOORAY
Thank god for you mechanicaly minded people !!!!
Old 20 October 2005, 02:25 PM
SNAP
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by blackdown
Snap, the sound is coming from exsactly where you are saying, both clutch and tensioner are covered by warranty and they said will throw in new cambelts.
HOOOOORAY
Thank god for you mechanicaly minded people !!!!
Fantastic - seem like decent warranty people. Who is the warranty with, and can I ask how much? I am thinking of renewing mine.

Cheers
Old 20 October 2005, 09:31 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Ken..you may be correct,but i have replaced quite a few release bearings in the past due to being noisy,the noise stops as they contact the clutch cover,poss rattling due to being unloaded until conection with the cluch forks,without listening its hard to make an diagnosis and hope to be correct........