Default Gearbox Oil Cooler

Has any on fitted a gearbox oil cooler to there car if so how have you done it
I am thinking of fitting one to my dog box when I rebuild it

Phil
Old 25 October 2005, 09:59 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would very much doubt that many on SN would have suffiecient experience to comment.

Does it really get hot enough to warrant a cooler?
Old 26 October 2005, 09:29 PM
SNAP
Scooby Regular

Would have thought an engine oil cooler to be more beneficial (track days/hard driving in hot summers)?
Old 27 October 2005, 08:59 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new six speeds have an oil pump, I think to supply oil to the synchros. Some of the rally boxes have oil coolers, I think, so a starting point might be to ask a rally nut, Rally Colin, Town End Garage or John Pye Motorsport or now that I think of it Martin Fox that posts on 22b as MEF.
Not sure an oil cooler is necessary unless you are endurance racing and on a 5 speed box it WILL be a lot of work. Do you know typical transmission temps and what oil manufacturers recommend for their lubricant?
Old 28 October 2005, 10:29 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I very much doubt an oil cooler is necessary for the transmission. In my experience building transmissions for Ford and so-on in the world rally championship it wasn't ever deemed necessary. Rear diff yes, but only used on the non - competitive parts as the power drain was too great.

The only real comment that springs to mind is that; the 6 speeder fills the tunnel much more than the 5 speed and it does require the flow of air past it as a cooling effect. By filling up the tunnel the air will get deflected a different direction and temps will rise. Richard Dowsett [ Dowser ] on here, had a 6 speeder off us very early on and noticed that the temps on his top mount intercooler rose by 3 degrees or similar just by fitting the bigger 'box.

Try to arrange a cooling duct of some sort to blow air down the tunnel or maybe try to lower the gearbox and engine mounts to create a gap above the 6 speeder for the same purpose.

When Nissan started to officially import the Skyline they did all manner of tests and concluded that if you went around in circles, I mean circles, not round a track !! [ AT MIRA ] at over 100 miles an hour for over half an hour the temps rose unacceptably. But of course the diffs were working all the time and they will generate heat. Daft buggers !! Then they fitted expensive and unnecessary coolers to the box and diffs.

If you intend to win the roundabout Grand Prix then there is a slim chance you'll need a cooler, for all other types of work it is unneccessary in my opinion.

Good Luck David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com

PS Sorry just realised that Harvey brought up the 6 speed issue and you haven't specified whether yours is a dog 5 speed ar a dog 5 speed fitted into a 6 speed case. Less of a problem if using the 5 speed cases.

Last edited by APIDavid; 28 October 2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old 28 October 2005, 12:26 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David: You got my e-mail asking for ID on option codes?
Old 28 October 2005, 03:58 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Re. dropping the engine - I'd seriously look at this option if your header to ground clearance allows it......mine doesn't When we checked around 1.5cm should be no issue to do.

I'm considering fitting a simple ally plate across the bottom of the box angled to create a vacuum to help draw air through. Just worried about the lift it will introduce.....and don't fancy testing....

Richard

Edited to add: I've not monitored the 6MT oil temps, but oil still looks clean after 40k kms on this box. Very happy with it - in the previous 40k kms I destroyed three 5MT's

Last edited by dowser; 28 October 2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old 28 October 2005, 05:33 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dowser
Re. dropping the engine - I'd seriously look at this option if your header to ground clearance allows it......mine doesn't When we checked around 1.5cm should be no issue to do.

I'm considering fitting a simple ally plate across the bottom of the box angled to create a vacuum to help draw air through. Just worried about the lift it will introduce.....and don't fancy testing....

Richard

Edited to add: I've not monitored the 6MT oil temps, but oil still looks clean after 40k kms on this box. Very happy with it - in the previous 40k kms I destroyed three 5MT's
40,000 Km's - so it's out of warranty then? Phew
What quality from APi !

How you doing Richard ? long time no hear/mail.

Good Luck David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Old 28 October 2005, 05:42 PM
ST AYE
Scooby Regular

spec C has gearbox oil cooler so could use genuine parts. hate to think about cost though