Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Ecutek options

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2005, 06:18 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecutek options

Right, back in Scooby ownership as of today with a 2001 WRX wagon (UK).

Back when I had my MY99 classic I had a tek 2.5 from John Banks - which was great - and I was wondering if you can still buy 'mail-order' tek remaps, rather than going for a custom map (tek 3)?

Car is completely unmodified but might be interested in a remap at some point. Not keen on decatting as I like my cars quiet.

Tia
Richard.
Old 23 October 2005, 06:45 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotsman
Right, back in Scooby ownership as of today with a 2001 WRX wagon (UK).

Back when I had my MY99 classic I had a tek 2.5 from John Banks - which was great - and I was wondering if you can still buy 'mail-order' tek remaps, rather than going for a custom map (tek 3)?

Car is completely unmodified but might be interested in a remap at some point. Not keen on decatting as I like my cars quiet.

Tia
Richard.
no point really without a decat .......but what do I know !
Old 23 October 2005, 07:03 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Richard, agree with you on quiet cars. Your last one I thought was nice as you kept that one on the stock exhaust IIRC.

The MY01 WRX really is hampered with three cats though. I think it would be good to delete the uppipe and downpipe ones and retain the standard centre one. I don't think this will dramatically increase the noise level as the stock backbox is still on and this is what really makes the difference with noise. A change to the intercooler pipework would also be nice.

Andy F in East Lothian has done wonders with his MY03 WRX in stages as published in Scoobymag, and will do you a really nice map. Best done by going to see him as the new age ECUs are not so easy to exchange because of availability and immobiliser issues.
Old 23 October 2005, 08:26 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
no point really without a decat .......but what do I know !
With the classic scoobs (up to MY00), having a remap without a decat could make a fair bit of difference - smoother delivery and of course uping the boost.
Old 23 October 2005, 08:32 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Hi Richard, agree with you on quiet cars. Your last one I thought was nice as you kept that one on the stock exhaust IIRC.

The MY01 WRX really is hampered with three cats though. I think it would be good to delete the uppipe and downpipe ones and retain the standard centre one. I don't think this will dramatically increase the noise level as the stock backbox is still on and this is what really makes the difference with noise. A change to the intercooler pipework would also be nice.

Andy F in East Lothian has done wonders with his MY03 WRX in stages as published in Scoobymag, and will do you a really nice map. Best done by going to see him as the new age ECUs are not so easy to exchange because of availability and immobiliser issues.
Hi John

Yep, kept the stock exhaust and loved the car - nice and smooth and quiet.

Been having a look at Andy's website and looks tempting down the road. Probably better to go the route of decatting it but one thing about the 2001 scooby is that it feels and sounds a lot more throaty than the classic. The flatfour rumble is very pronouced and the car is completly standard. Sounds very nice but I remember my last one being very quiet. Did Subaru make the WRX more vocal with the bugeye? Or is it just mine!

Richard.