Reduced boost in 2nd (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2005, 02:13 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduced boost in 2nd (I think)

Afternoon all.

Thought I'd post this up once and for all in an effort to find out what might be happening. I've got a MY00 UK Classic Turbo which is totally standard in the engine bay but reaches as far as a H&S back box if it's relevant.

If I pull through all the gears from a stand-still then I'm not aware of any problems but if I've been pootling in 2nd for some reason (e.g. r'bout, junction, set of lights, etc) and then accelerate (hard), I can feel noticeable hesitation which seems to stay until I change into 3rd when all my grunt is restored.

Early signs of a MAF problem..? I still have a warranty which I might be able to take advantage of.

Cheers,

Jonty.
Old 04 November 2005, 04:10 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Jonty
Afternoon all.

Thought I'd post this up once and for all in an effort to find out what might be happening. I've got a MY00 UK Classic Turbo which is totally standard in the engine bay but reaches as far as a H&S back box if it's relevant.

If I pull through all the gears from a stand-still then I'm not aware of any problems but if I've been pootling in 2nd for some reason (e.g. r'bout, junction, set of lights, etc) and then accelerate (hard), I can feel noticeable hesitation which seems to stay until I change into 3rd when all my grunt is restored.

Early signs of a MAF problem..? I still have a warranty which I might be able to take advantage of.

Cheers,

Jonty.
You're fine mate, they all do that: drive by noise related boost cut programmed into the ECU. If you drive off-boost in 2nd then floor it, you get only .5 bar boost (normal for your car is .9 I believe). The solution is to lift off before putting your foot down if you've been holding 2nd off-boost for a while. Keeping it on boost in 2nd will also stop it from cutting in I believe.

Regards,

NS04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 04 November 2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04 November 2005, 05:08 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
You're fine mate, they all do that: drive by noise related boost cut programmed into the ECU. If you drive off-boost in 2nd then floor it, you get only .5 bar boost (normal for your car is .9 I believe). The solution is to lift off before putting your foot down if you've been holding 2nd off-boost for a while. Keeping it on boost in 2nd will also stop it from cutting in I believe.
Ah-ha! Sounds interesting and I shall have a go at testing that theory. Cheers.

Jonts.