piston slap

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2001, 05:17 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi all,can anyone give me advice?
I got a 60k service and rolling road at power engineering a short time ago and they told me the 'diesel' noise at cold is piston slap,so subaru should sort it while its still under its extended warranty.I gave the car to the subaru dealers for a few days and they deny there is a noise?where do I go from here?
any advice will be gladly taken,
stevie c
Old 16 October 2001, 05:29 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Leave the car with them overnight then let them start it in the morning, if they still deny then take it to another dealers who will listen to you
I take it your car is an MY98??

Tony
Old 16 October 2001, 05:33 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

cheers tony,
yes it is a my98.
they had the car for a week!!
I will phone another dealer,are they that different?i thought they would all treat me the same?i must be naive!!
cheers,
stevie
Old 17 October 2001, 01:10 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

You might be able to get the dealer to get a Subaru UK (IM) engineer to come and have a look at it. If not contact IM warranty directly or take it to another dealer.

cheers

chris
Old 17 October 2001, 04:16 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

The MY98 seem more prone to "Piston slap" than any other MY, id defiately take it in and just tell them to sort it out, hopefully they will but you may have to give em a big kick up the **** in the process

Tony
Old 17 October 2001, 05:16 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have a 97 Impreza Catalunya which had Piston slap. What the dealer told me is that they have to hear the slap when the engine is hot before they will fix it under warranty.
I know the noise in my motor was much worse when the engine was cold, and must admit I couldnt hear it myself when hot, buy the Subaru engineer could.
The dealer got the Subaru engineer up and he gave the thumbs up for the repair to proceed. They used to replace the engine block, but now they just do the affected pistons. Mine got 3 new pistons, and it sounds great now.
Old 17 October 2001, 05:35 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Question

rather than relying on the mechanics ears isnt there a test they can do that is a bit more technical?some sort of compression test or something?

steve

ps:thanx for all the advice
Old 17 October 2001, 05:40 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Question

what are the implications of piston slap (apart from it sounding like a diesel, and being generally embarassing?)

My MY99 does it sometimes when hot, always when cold. Very annoying.

Old 17 October 2001, 06:38 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

well we had an impreza in where the skirt had come away therfore resulting in a very big bill which i think could have been prevented if the piston slap had been done
Old 17 October 2001, 07:45 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Have a listen to this recording of what it sounds like, recorded by AJ Leslie from our bbs. When you click it, a rego form comes up, just click later. You don't have to register. Then you will hear it.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.leslie/

Cheers,

Wrexy.

Old 17 October 2001, 07:50 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

This is for information. BEWARE !!!!
My UK98 was diagnosed with piston slap when it had its 45K service and the garage said they would tell IM and sort it as I had extended warranty. Otherwise it would be £2K to strip engine and fit the teflon replacement piston.
Garage then told me IM said no, but they would send engineer to listen.
After engineer's report confirmed slap when cold AND hot, but as I had a modified exhaust and a rising rate fuel regulator (apart from the PPP) the increased power from the non standard parts probably caused the slap any way. I said that many standard engines also suffered from piston slap so it was obviously a design fault, but the "expert" manager from the claims dept said that because I had non standard parts fitted, the extended warranty was void anyway. End of story according to IM.

IF YOU HAVE ANY NON STANDARD PART ON YOR ENGINE THAT MAY INCREASE POWER, YOU HAVE NO CLAIM AGAINST IM. (It clearly states this in your agreement !!!)

Do not expect any sympathy from IM !
ADDED INFORMATION:
I was told by the Subaru engineers that piston slap is no threat to the engine + it will not reduce performance threfore is not covered by the warranty.
You live and learn.
IF YOU HAVE (OR THINK OF HAVING) ANY NON STANDARD PART FITTED TO YOUR ENGINE, DO NOT EXPECT ANY WARRANTY CLAIM TO BE ACCEPTED. DO NOT PAY £558 FOR EXTENDED WARRANTY AS I DID, AND HOPE FOR DESIGN FAULT PROBLEM CLAIMS TO BE HONOURED !!!!
Stan
Old 17 October 2001, 09:09 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

thankyou everyone for your advise.
my scoob has aftermarket parts from PE but they were installed by previous owner before i got the car+extended warranty.
anyway,thanks all,i'll wave if I see you.
steve

Old 17 October 2001, 11:38 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

yup, when i took my MY98 in for piston slap i even took out the ITG air filter and replaced it with the original unit, they are absolute ar5eholes as far as trying to wriggle out of repairing their own design faults
Old 17 October 2001, 11:39 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

oh, got a new short engine out of them

Old 18 October 2001, 07:41 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys

Dunno if you can help - I listened to that sound file & it does indeed sound like i have slap too.
Thing is - its only there for about 10 seconds after startup, then dissappears completely & is never there when hot.
In the morning, by the time I have reversed out of my drive & got to the main road junction (30 feet) - Its gone.
Any comments on this ?

Ro.
PS - The car is garaged & is an STi4

[Edited by RoShamBo - 10/18/2001 7:44:30 AM]
Old 18 October 2001, 08:07 AM
dannyn
Scooby Regular

Wink

Piston slap was the main problem with MY96 that and a very occasional grumble from the big end when it had been standing. The slap dissapeared when warm (after about 1 min) as the piston expanded to fill the oval hole! It had done about 120k so it was well used, got it cheap have spent as much again getting it how I want it.
TSL rebuilt the engine a did a few other bits, downpipe dump valve etc had new clutch at the same time. The engine was blueprinted rather than just bunging a couple of new pistons in and it now sounds and runs most awesome.
Old 19 October 2001, 12:43 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hi Ro,

I'm no expert but just a thought. The STI 4 is the MY98. That is the model that is most prone to Piston slap. Maybe it is just beginning. I would not be too concerned with it just yet. 10 seconds is nothing. I'd keep an eye out on it, to see if with time, it starts to do it for longer. Someone more technical may like to add more on this.

Regards,

Wrexy.
Old 19 October 2001, 04:51 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

For what it's worth, and it's only my opinion, I think that IM are actually no worse than any other outfit when it comes to honouring warranty claims.
Having run into warranty issues with different manufacturers, I think the Subaru warranty is about the best I have come across.
As for wriggling out by claiming modified parts are fitted, I can understand why they do that. They have had no input into the design of these parts, and couldnt possibly test, "approve" every aftermarket performance part that other companies make. They would need to employ people to be continually testing parts that are in direct competition to the parts Subaru sell, that just doesnt make good business sense.

Better mention that I dont work for any company that is remotely related to Subaru or IM.
Old 19 October 2001, 05:32 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Does every MY98 ever made develop piston slap?! Seriously though, it must be a very high percentage. Can't really believe how badly Subaru f****d up that year...
Old 19 October 2001, 11:41 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Wink

And we are the ones that are aware of this piston slap problem, thanks to this bbs. I had no idea there were problems until I started reading the bbs. Think of how many cars have piston slap and their owners don't even know it. I'm sure the dealers aren't going to say anything to them.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 22 October 2001, 11:35 AM
clubby
Scooby Regular

Piston slap is a big problem.
According to a mate of mine who used to work at the local dealers, initially they treated the majority of cases to new engine blocks, and I think also with modified teflon pistons.
I think as this started to cost them dearly, (my 3 new Pistons plus labour totalled £2,300), they changed tactics and just did the pistons.
Most of the cars that had the problem are either out of warranty, or about to run out of warranty they have changed tactics again.
I didnt like the noise on my car, but apparently it is just that, a noise, and will not lead to other problems.
The piston slap is a major problem, no doubt about it and I would advise anyone who thinks they have it, if your car is under warranty, get it checked out ASAP. The longer you leave it, the more likely they are to wriggle out of something that I think is clearly their responsibility - design fault.
Old 23 October 2001, 05:03 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i had a sort of good result this afternoon.
i spoke to subaru's technical department this afternoon who couldnt understand why my local dealer tried to ignore the rattle coming from my engine!
they suggested i try another dealer,and that i suggest the dealer contacts them if they need any advice on finding the fault!!
they also told me if it isnt piston slap then it is probably my timing belt either stretched or needing the tensioner adjusted,which apparently sounds very similar to slap,and also disappeares as the engine heats up.
so hopefully,my baby is on the road to recovery!
steve