Does your car go like stink now

Excuse the pun

[Edited by mega_stream - 11/6/2001 4:36:36 PM]
Old 06 November 2001, 03:57 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Just had a Magnex twin dump downpipe fitted by Halfords and what can I say - should have done it sooner

Its not as loud as a Scoobysport I don't think but sounds nice nonetheless I've now got a full straight through Magnex system, D/P, centre with no resonator and BB. The D/P was 179.99 fitted from Halfords and the labour was about 3hours or so so a good deal (Free fitting on all exhausts from Ripspeed). Its a tricky job getting it in but I have to say I'm impressed - they did a bang up job Except for leaving dog $hit on my car mats [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] This is the Bracknell one. They've done a few scoobs now so not too bad.

The car is transformed - pulls all the way to the red line now and sounds great - and the turbo starts to whistle away about 2k rpm.

Love it
Cheers
Neil.
Old 06 November 2001, 04:09 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Cool

Good on ya mate!!!
Old 06 November 2001, 05:16 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

lol @ mega_stream

You could say it goes like $hit of a shovel (or mat in my case )

Old 06 November 2001, 05:43 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Question

ScoobyJawa,

I've got a straight though Magnex centre and backbox so was wondering how much louder it will get if I do the downpipe?
Also, what will you do about your MOT with no cats?
Old 06 November 2001, 07:54 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

How did you go about ordering it ??

I have been on the halfords website & the local halfords superstore, neither knew what I was talking about.
Old 06 November 2001, 09:21 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Cool

scoobysnacks,

On idle and low revs, theres not a great deal of difference in sound although a bit more "grumbly". You can hear the turbo start to whistle about 1.5k revs and then gets louder. Its about 3-4k revs that it really starts to bark much louder than just the centre and bb and then pulls all the way to the red line Its a big improvement and the performance increase is noticable with more torque mid range (or so it seems to my amateur hands ) A mate came round with a full ScoobySport system and its not as loud as that but I wanted something a bit quieter anyway
Have I answered the question in all that waffle somewhere?

r.e. the MOT - you need to find a good garage with a twin CAT centre that you can swop (you don't want to go messing changing the d/p as its a much bigger job than swopping out the centre) - get it heated up and take it for the MOT and as far as I know, it should pass. I've been told ScoobySport have one they rent out for 20 quid but can't confirm as I haven't spoken to them....

barge,

Its only available through the Halfords that have a Ripspeed in them. Pop in - go to the Ripspeed counter and they have it listed in their book. You need to pay in advance and they'll order it - takes 2-3 days to come in and then they'll book you in to get it fitted.

Hope that helps,
Cheers
Neil.
Old 07 November 2001, 10:02 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Neil,

I'm glad that after all this time you have taken the plunge and gone for the downpipe!

You're right about the nice grumble on tickover , all we need to do know is see what it sounds like on the move

Speak to you later,

Scott
Old 07 November 2001, 04:51 PM
PeterStone
Scooby Regular

Angry

Just been to a Halfords superstore (with Ripspeed concession)and they said the free fitting offer ended 2 months ago!They also quoted me £275.00 for the downpipe!
Can anyone explain?

TIA

Pete S
Old 07 November 2001, 05:32 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Peter,

Absolute rubbish the offers finished - I'm proof of that. Which Halfords is it? Get them to ring the Bracknell branch and ask about me having it done free - or if you aren't too far away, come to the Bracknell one?

Does the Halfords have a garage too? If not that could also be a possible reason.........

Cheers
Neil
Old 07 November 2001, 08:31 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

The garage bit belongs to the AA now -- Halfords sold it. Perhaps this is why no free fitting?
Old 08 November 2001, 10:38 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Cool

The garage at Bracknell is AA and I still got it fitted free.....
Old 08 November 2001, 02:30 PM
necromax
Scooby Regular

I have tried Halfords at Wrexham & Chester, they both said the offer had ended two months ago, since the AA bought the garages. 3 hours to fit downpipe, £120 fitting + £179.99 for the downpipe!
Old 08 November 2001, 02:40 PM
PeterStone
Scooby Regular

Question

Have phoned Eastleigh branch who don't know about the offer but will only charge £20 to fit the downpipe and are quoting the right price for it.I assume they will have to stand by this quote once they've realised it takes 2/3 hours to fit!

Pete S
Old 08 November 2001, 02:50 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Just phoned Ripspeed at Halfords in Bracknell. 01344 862166.

I asked if they were still doing the free fitting on the d/p and was told yes - so don't know whats going on with these others???

If you live remotely close to bracknell maybe it'd save the 100 odd quid fitting to get it done here (Only problem is you have to order it in person and then come back to get it fitted)

Seems strange that the chain have different ideas throughout the country though - do these ones definately have both a Ripspeed and garage in the same store???
Old 08 November 2001, 02:57 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Pete,

Bracknell basically filled in a voucher and put it in their till then gave me a receipt for 20 quid for the fitting to attach to the invoice, so that tallys with your fitting charge they quoted. Yes they will have to stick to it especially if you pay up front and so if they aren't doing the offer its well worth paying 20quid instead of 100+. Can't understand why they aren't still doing it though - see my post above!!

I left my car at 8:15 and it wasn't ready until 1:30, so think how much the saving is at normal labour charges!!!

Cheers
Neil