Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2006, 11:42 PM
zetecturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch master cylinder prob

rite lads urgent confirmation help needed
bought a 98 uk turbo impreza which just had a new clutch kit fitted
noticed when i drove it home pedal only coming up half way .think da spring is on the way out or missing.
parked car up and when i came out to start it i had no pedal at all.
i tried to bleed it ,by just opening the bleed nipple at the top of the suspension turret then at the gearbox.but i didnt take it off which i think is the wrong way to do it,but ther is signs of a leak at the master cylinder but its fairly full.also when u open the bleed nipple at the suspension top and pump the pedal with it open the fluid only comes out a little bit at a time .could the master cylinder b knackered or shud i try and take the cylinder off at the box and clamp the rod at the cylinder and have the bleed nipple higher than the rod and try and bleed it,or should i just go and buy a new cylinder
Old 20 September 2006, 11:33 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

To bleed the slave cylinder (one on the box) properly, you ideally need to remove it from the box, and have the nipple pointing upwards, and have the piston locked, so it cant come out whilst pressing the pedal.

Once your in this position, open the nipple slightly, and then depress the pedal, then lock the nipple, then lift the pedal, then repeat untill all the air has disappeared.

Refit, and try again. This often happens when a clutch change takes place, and the above is the easy cure. I have only had one occassion where this didnt cure it, and it was the master cylinder (bulkhead) that was goosed.
Old 20 September 2006, 09:20 PM
zetecturbo
Scooby Regular

cheers for the help lads,replaced the master cylinder with one from an import sti which fitted perfect for €50 as subaru cudnt get a new 1 for 2 weeks,wat a shower of wasters.problem solved only took 20 mins to do with the i/c off