Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Could be b*ll*cks, but .....

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2001, 09:20 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I saw an earlier post about using the hi-fi tweak, Shakti stones, supposedly to absorb the EM radiation around coils. Basically, Shakti stones are made of ferrite, which is commonly used in computing and electrical engineering to absorb EM on comms lines, and in hi-fi circles too.

The theory is that the coils generate EM noise which might possibly interfere with sensor data, etc (I don't even believe this myself as I'm typing it ;-) )

So ..... I took a couple of spare ferrite rings from my hi-fi (get 'em from Maplin at around £10 for a pack of 10) and cable-tied them to the coils. And ... well ... the car seems a teeny bit peppier and livelier. I'm sure it's the Barnum effect, but honest, despite my scepticism, it seems to do something.
Old 20 November 2001, 11:28 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I wouldn't recommend mucking around with anything like that near your coils or ignition system... the voltages involved are not funny and I would hate to see anyone hurt or worse because they were trying to fit a magnet to their ignition system because someone on the net said it would make their car smoother.

Subaru will have put a fair bit of thought into the ignition system with regards to EMI already.

Moray