Advice - exhaust guru required......

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2001, 02:18 PM
Matt_H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

hi,

Had a few probs when I initially fitted a SS mid section to my car a few months ago. had prob getting it to seal to the down pipe original).
prob was that if the bolts were loose enough to allow some travel in the springs it would leak. If I did the bolts up very tight so that the springs were fully compressed it was fine.
Thought I'd managed to sort it and find a compromise but after noticing exhaust louder recently discovered join between DP and centre section leaking again.
I used a new gasket when I fitted but still have probs. At the
moment the springs are fullt compressed and no leaks...but was wondering what the implications of this are. Will i be fine unless I ground the centre section etc.. or is this bad as when the engine moves on its mountings then it will stress the manifold/DP etc as there is little movent allowed at the DP/centre join..???

Any hints/tip/advice greatly appreciated

cheers,
Matt
Old 20 November 2001, 04:16 PM
Matt_H
Scooby Regular

Question

Been reading previous posts and someone said that if you slacken off the bolts so there is movement allowed..then it will 'seal itself' after a while... ?

has anyone had any success with this?

cheers,
Matt.
Old 21 November 2001, 08:48 AM
Matt_H
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 21 November 2001, 05:34 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

I had exactly the same problem as you, with my Magnex centre. At first I tightened it right up so the springs were compressed because of a 'leak', then realised there should be some slack if possible. I found that the leak was only at the bottom so I lightly hammered the bottom part of the centre section 'plate' where they join, towards the down pipe. This helped force a better seal and meant I no longer had to tighten up the bolts all the way. This left some slack in the springs but not much (I can wobble the springs from side to side a little bit). Hope this helps. By the way I'm not a mechanic or anything so be cautious copying my hammer technique as I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Worked for me though...
Old 21 November 2001, 09:12 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

I think someone on here mentioned to join the centre and DP together first and then attach the centre to the BB, avoiding the leak issue.
Mine will be going to a dealer for fitment as I'm having other stuff done at the same time.

P.
Old 21 November 2001, 09:21 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

I think someone on here mentioned to join the centre and DP together first and then attach the centre to the BB, avoiding the leak issue.
Mine will be going to a dealer for fitment as I'm having other stuff done at the same time.

P.