Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Turbo conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2006, 08:30 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turbo conversion

Now i know what your going to be thinking straight away but im going to ask for some help anyway.
Now i have a 1.6gl classic impreza, but im after just a little bit more power than i have now and have been looking at different ways to go. The most obvious is a full engine swap to a turbo lump, however the problems with this are the costs of buying an engine that isnt ragged to hell, plus all the extras such as gearbox, diff, looms etc.
I could get a cheaper 2ltr n/a engine but it wouldnt be worth it for the 20bhp extra.
The cheapest way which a friend of mine in motorsport said to do would be to put a turbo(with intercooler, manifolds, exhausts, fuel regulator, fuel pump) onto my original ej16 engine, and run it on the lowest boost setting.

Now i know it wont be a great increase in power, but having got my car to just how i want it externally and with disc brakes and turbo suspension all-round, surely this would be the cheapest way of getting a decent increase in power. I know there will those who suggest just getting a turbo, but there wouldnt be any reliable turbos in my price range, and im really wanting to complete this project of mine. Any advice on if(how) this can be done, and if there are any parts i may have overlooked would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04 December 2006, 08:48 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant help but think you would be better off selling it and buying the car you want, modded cars will always cost more to insure too...
Something like this:
ABCMOTORSPORT : SUBARU IMPREZA WRX UK 2.0 TURBO
or this:
Subaru : 1998 Impreza Turbo UK Wagon 82k miles
Old 04 December 2006, 11:30 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yer i hear what your saying, but ive got a saloon that is looking perfect having spent a bit on it, i wouldnt really want a wagon or tired wrx saloon, which if selling mine id only have £2500 to slash out on. If the engine went bang on one of those id have problems. my current insurance is £700 all mods declared, i cant get wrx insurance cheaper than £2000, so coupled with the costs of buying a decent example i couldnt afford. By doing a relatively cheap turbo upgrade i could save for the extra insurance of another modification on my current policy more easily. I know its not the most economically viable method of going, but if possible its where id like to go with 'my project'. Anybody got any info on if(how) this conversion can be done?
Old 05 December 2006, 07:20 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd check your insurance FIRST, to make sure they'll even entertain it.