Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

diff questions , please help ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2006, 01:58 AM
weslad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff questions , please help ?

i have a few questions regarding a supposed diff that has been fitted to my motor , the car (i have been told) has a competition diff fitted (cusco 2 way) apart from the clunking noise whilst turning at junctions ect (with the diff position in the green still) the diff also appears to be noisy when i change gear (ie when i take my foot of the accelerator) even when its quite lightly changed , i am able to prevent this if i change very slowly and lift the clutch very slowly , the noise is a sort of thud or single clunk and it does it regardless of what gear im in and is quite loud , the car also pulls to the left a little whilst accelerating (even lightly) and sort of corrects itself once the power (accelerator) has been released (almost a wobble) , has anybody else eperienced this and would some of these sympoms be cause by a very aggresive diff being fitted.............thanks ps i will get the car checked out anyway but i thought i may be able to get some answers on here to try and get an idea of what is going on .........
Old 26 December 2006, 09:21 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plated diffs 'clunk and creek'.
The other noises sound to me like something is loose under there.
Check all the bolts actually holding the diff in it's carrier (12 of them!)or the 2 large bolts on the diff cross member/links can cause the rear sub-frame to move = rear wheel steering.
There is a good chance all these fittings have been disturbed/removed to fit the plated diff so check every pivot/fastening.

Graham